Off-Road Trip with my Jeep - Lots of pics...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoaringBrewer

Reaction score
I know we have some JEEPers here, I believe, so just wanted to post up some pics of mine and my first real offroading trip. I definitely know I am addicting, getting more mods, and returning to this park a few more times this year... anyway...

So me and the 6-month old JK finally made our maiden voyage to Rausch Creek offroad park in Tremont, PA. It never hit me that it is only a 30 mile trek from home, but that was a pleasant surprise since I plan on going back! In fact, this was my first “real” offroad experience ever. I went with my brother and a friend who were also first timers at Rausch.

My JK is pretty much “stock” although I’ve outfitted by X model with Rubicon mud terrains, Rubicon sliders, sway bar quick discos, some extra skids (including evap etc) and a 1” leveling lift. I have a 2.5” lift in the basement and plan to go to 34s or 35s with some better gears someday in the next year. My brother has offroaded some before (4” lift and 31s on his YJ, but fully outfitted with armor, winch, etc. so he was set despite smallest tire size). My other buddy Nate had never had his TJ Rubicon offroad either since purchasing it maybe a year ago. He is stock other than some 32” mud terrains (no lift).

As for Rausch we hit mostly green trails (most of them actually in our 8 hours) with a blue or two thrown in by accident - I led most of the morning (figuring I'd be the first to turn my new jeep back if things got hairy) and then the other guys took over for the afternoon. Despite the various models and setups we had (more heavily modded YJ, stockish TJ Rubi, and stockish/Rubiish [no lockers but wouldnt have needed em] JK) we ran well together... Some of the trails were a cakewalk for all of us, but some of the greens I thought posed an ample challenge for our lesser modded rigs as well. I recall the 101 trail being a bit rocky and challenging but maybe that’s b/c it was like the 2nd trail we hit (I was thinking Offroad 101 would be simple – LOL).

Noone got stuck and needed rescued and noone broke anything serious (just some skid plate scratches and dings, etc.) although my brother had his clutch smoking on 101 trail. I think the rigs performed pretty well (and the drivers) for what they were and it was a blast!

Onto the pics!

1-4:
Most of these were on trails B, C, E – easy green trails with little mud holes and some smallish rocks:
100_3696_Resized.JPG

DSCN1603_Resized.JPG

100_3701_Resized.JPG

100_3705_Resized.JPG

9-13:

Poser shot on the 101 trail – I had to sneak around that rock on the left between it and a tree with about < 1 ft clearance – it was a little nerveracking…
DSCN1617_Resized.JPG

DSCN1640_Resized.JPG

DSCN1610_Resized.JPG

Waterhole on D was pretty fun the first couple times through…
DSCN1632_Resized.JPG

More rocky powerlines:
100_3711_Resized.JPG

DSCN1625_Resized.JPG

Near the top:
100_3708_Resized.JPG

Final shot of the day right above the comp course overlooking the valley – a little dirty but all in one piece:
100_3719_Resized.JPG

awesome pics thanks i have had a jeep in one form or another for 20 + years i have a 2000 wrangler to play with now and just went to look at a 2010 Rubicon for the mrs may pick it up next week thanks again for the pics :tank:

Wheeling pics are always welcome :D Looks like you guys had a good time.

I used to be pretty big into jeeping myself, but unfortunately my TJ has been parked in the garage for about 4 years and hasn't moved an inch :( After my t-case exploded doing 75mph on the freeway it just hasn't seen any action.

This is the only pic I can find on my computer of it, but this is at least 6 years old. It has grown a few inches since then, received a warn front bumper, borla header and a few other items since then. I sure do miss it... makes me want to head to the garage and start working on getting her running again

bling.jpg

This is the only pic I can find on my computer of it, but this is at least 6 years old. It has grown a few inches since then, received a warn front bumper, borla header and a few other items since then. I sure do miss it... makes me want to head to the garage and start working on getting her running again

bling.jpg

Nice looking TJ! I think I have those exact tires - LOL.

I can't wait until mine "grows up" a little also - I have the lift in the basement (2.5" lift plenty for me on a JK - might do 1" BL if I go with 35s and need room), just waiting to wear out these tires so that I can justify the purchase of 34s or 35s and gears.

awesome pics thanks i have had a jeep in one form or another for 20 + years i have a 2000 wrangler to play with now and just went to look at a 2010 Rubicon for the mrs may pick it up next week thanks again for the pics :tank:

Good luck with the 2010 Rubi - you will love it. I kind of regret not getting the Rubi but I have mostly everything it has anyway except lockers - and I may add a rear locker at re-gear time anyway. We didn't even need lockers on any trails we hit the other day and I don't anticipate doing much tougher trails at least until I get other mods - heck I only hit 4L a few spots where I wanted to crawl down rocky hills slowly and/or over larger obstacles, etc.

Are you getting an auto or manual tranny in the 2010? My *only* complaint about my JK is the stock gearing sucks... has hard enough time turning stock 32s and maintaining speed on a hilly highway. I wouldn't put bigger tires on without gears - probably not even "little" 33s.

Nice looking TJ! I think I have those exact tires - LOL.

I can't wait until mine "grows up" a little also - I have the lift in the basement (2.5" lift plenty for me on a JK - might do 1" BL if I go with 35s and need room), just waiting to wear out these tires so that I can justify the purchase of 34s or 35s and gears.

Sounds like a decent plan. I'm on 33s with 4.5" coils and a 1" body lift. I have a "new" TC ready to drop in to replace the redneck rigged TC I have in there right now that just barely makes it drivable, but I'm sure the lift I have now without doing a TC drop or going SYE is what is making the case blow. So even if I drop a new case in I'm going to probably be faced with the same problems, yet I don't wheel enough any more to justify putting much more money into it.

Not to mention I only have a D35 rear axle with 3.07 gears which makes it an absolute dog with the larger tires. Hmm, now that I think about all the money I really need to put into it, maybe I'll just let it sit in the garage for another 10 years and wait to submit it to an antique museum :D

Very nice pic's. I was a Toyota guy and have a few pictures posted around here but won't post them on this thread to disturb the Jeepers.

You should check your axles to see where the breathers are. There is a good chance they went under water with that water hole you went through and may have added that nasty water to you gear oil.

Also, always besure to hose everything off under your jeep well sometime soon after you wheel (doing water crossing) if there is a lot of sand or silt so it is wearing parts out.

Little things you can do to make you jeep last longer.

Very nice pic's. I was a Toyota guy and have a few pictures posted around here but won't post them on this thread to disturb the Jeepers.

You should check your axles to see where the breathers are. There is a good chance they went under water with that water hole you went through and may have added that nasty water to you gear oil.

Also, always besure to hose everything off under your jeep well sometime soon after you wheel (doing water crossing) if there is a lot of sand or silt so it is wearing parts out.

Little things you can do to make you jeep last longer.

Toyota's are fine by me... I almost got an FJ but there was no 'top off' option at that time for the FJ. I believe they do have a softtop now but its rare and hard to come by...

As for the breathers, they sit pretty high on the JK luckily - I don't think any of the holes I went through were deep enough to even came close to infiltrating them. I do plan to extend them even higher someday (like to top of firewall) after lift, etc. when I try the bigger rausch holes. I stayed out of "any waterhole with a name" b/c supposedly they are 3-5ft deep. LOL

Definitely gave her a good cleaning afterwards including 15 minute powerwash, including underside. Only thing I still need to clean up a bit is engine bay...

Thanks for the heads up tho! Link me to the Toyota pics if you feel like it. :)

I've done ride-alongs with my BIL up to Paragon and Rauch quite a few times; I think the Jeep show is at the York Expo Center this weekend as a matter of fact.

I've done ride-alongs with my BIL up to Paragon and Rauch quite a few times; I think the Jeep show is at the York Expo Center this weekend as a matter of fact.

Yep - Jeep show is in York this weekend. I got my priorities straight though - going to Selinsgrove Hop Vines and Wines "Brewfest". :)

Never got to go to Paragon unfortunately and I think its shut down now b/c they lost their land rights or something?

Lots of land is getting closed down which is the reason I sold my Runner and went back to mtn biking.

Cool.

I have a 2009 4DR JK. I'm not into anything crazy yet, but every other weekend or so my teenage sons and I are out on Forest Service Roads riding around. I've had a blast since getting the new Jeep.

Are you by any chance a member over at TxBrew/Keith's JeepForum? Lots of good stuff there.

Cool.

I have a 2009 4DR JK. I'm not into anything crazy yet, but every other weekend or so my teenage sons and I are out on Forest Service Roads riding around. I've had a blast since getting the new Jeep.

Are you by any chance a member over at TxBrew/Keith's JeepForum? Lots of good stuff there.

Good to see another JK owner on the board - I knew there were some out there.

I had no clue JeepForum was run by Tx, but I'm over there: redrockin7

However, most of the time I hang out on JK-Forum.com since it's more dedicated to the JK... I'm in no way the "JK is superior" type, but I can simply find more pertinent information easier on JK-Forum, without sifting through threads on the CJ, YJ, TJ, KJ, WK, etc. etc. etc. on JeepForum.

Don't get me wrong, there is still great info and people on JeepForum, just a little more watered down if you are looking for fixes, tips, tricks, and mods for a JK specifically.

Yeah - that's pretty crazy... :rockin:

Someday... someday soon (hopefully!)...

The tires are 36x12.5 to give you a bit of scale.

Careful it gets addicting and then it gets real expensive. To get any kind of rush you start pushing harder then you start breaking stuff. Another reason I went back to mtn biking better addrenaline rush with as much risk of breaking expensive stuff.

I spend most of my time in the JK subforum over there and the regional forum for my area. I've lurked on JKforum.com when I've needed some info as well.

The JK is the first new vehicle I've ever bought for myself and it's been a blast. The boys and I get a kick out of picking a single track road somewhere and following it to see where it comes out or dead ends.

I don't have the money yet for any major mods, but eventually would like to get a small lift and a few other things. Right now, it's pure stock but will still go places I've never been before.

I ran the Dusy in the western Sierras a few years back with a buddy and his Jeep pals. Mainly did spotting but I got behind the wheel a couple times.

It was a pretty insane trip, it took us 3 days to do 10 miles. No amenities along the trail, everything we needed we brought in. These guys were pretty insane.

One jeep broke a fuel pump, somebody had a spare.

One jeep broke a U-joint, it was replaced mid-trail.

One jeep cracked a frame, they welded it using 2 batteries.

I've got an '85 Landcruiser FJ60. Unfortunately, I need the cash so it is for sale.

The tires are 36x12.5 to give you a bit of scale.

Careful it gets addicting and then it gets real expensive. To get any kind of rush you start pushing harder then you start breaking stuff. Another reason I went back to mtn biking better addrenaline rush with as much risk of breaking expensive stuff.

Yeah - I want to try to moderate my modding addiction - but definitely go bigger than now. I'm not sure I am all into the difficult black and red trails anyway, so I don't think I need 37" tires and 6" of lift...

2.5-3.5" of lift, 35s, some 4.88 gears, and maybe a rear locker in my JK and I'll be happy. I think... Oh and a winch, just in case!

Right now, it's pure stock but will still go places I've never been before.

Yeah - I was pretty impressed with where mine took me at Rausch on the minimal mods I have... Even though the trails were green/blue, not too many production vehicles out there could handle most of them.

The tires definitely helped compared to the stock SRAs and I did "use" the rocksliders once or twice (not by choise), but a truly stock JK (with the 32" tires) is pretty impressive, I'd say...

2.5-3.5" of lift, 35s, some 4.88 gears, and maybe a rear locker in my JK and I'll be happy. I think... Oh and a winch, just in case!

Yep that's how it starts. ;)

Next thing you know you're rollin in a tube buggy. :rockin:

Yep that's how it starts. ;)

Next thing you know you're rollin in a tube buggy. :rockin:

LOL... quite possibly.

I *have* thrown around the idea of keeping the JK kind of mild (2.5" lift and maybe just 33-34s) and buying an old YJ or TJ to mod for the trails...

Less to worry about if I break stuff, 2 door is more capable with less wheel under it (due to wheelbase), and generally more maneuverable around tight trails.

Plus if me and the SWMBO both want to wheel we could run both rigs on the green/blue trails together.

here is a crappy quality video of my attempting to climb a hill in 2wd. My transfer case exploded on the next attempt.

and yes my leaf springs were gone in that video, They have since been replaced along with a 3 inch lift.
View My Video

Latest posts

Back