Any ideas on repairing an aquarium heater?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
I have 2 aquarium heaters I use to maintain fermentation temps. Sadly I broke one last winter. It should still work, the only thing wrong with it is that I broke the glass tubing. I think if I can just get something to replace it it will be working again.

Only problem is I am not sure what I would use. It needs to seal the electrical elements from getting wet and it needs to be heatproof I suppose.

Is there something I could use that costs less than buying a new heater or is it just not worth it?

Or is there another way I can use the heater and thermostat? I am not too electronically savvy so that may not be possible for me. Although I could get help from my FIL. He works designing industrial heating and cooling controls and sensors... Wish he lived closer I could really have some snazzy fermentation chambers instead of a tub of water and an aquarium heater!

Only problem is I am not sure what I would use. It needs to seal the electrical elements from getting wet and it needs to be heatproof I suppose.

Is there something I could use that costs less than buying a new heater or is it just not worth it?
If you can find a test tube approx the same size, that would work. They're heat-proof. Not knowing how much your heater cost, it's hard to say, but I'd just buy another heater unless you have a lab supply place nearby where you can get a test tube. If you go that route, you can get a waterproof seal with epoxy.

If you can find a test tube approx the same size, that would work. They're heat-proof. Not knowing how much your heater cost, it's hard to say, but I'd just buy another heater unless you have a lab supply place nearby where you can get a test tube. If you go that route, you can get a waterproof seal with epoxy.

Yeah, I thought of test tubes but no I don't have a place nearby. The original glass looks like a test tube in fact. Could always get one from AS&S but it would have to be the correct size and then there is shipping.

I keep hanging on to it with the hope I will have some sort of revelation as to a new use I could use it for. It was only $1 IIRC at the thrift store. It is a pretty nice one but I guess I did not ay that much to begin with.

I'd price a new one. You may not need one as big as that. I'd think that a very small one would do the job. If it's only cracked, then you may only need to seal with silicone. I probably wouldn't do that though. Too dangerous. I had an Oscar when I was younger that attacked the heater. It came loose from the suction cup that held it in place and he cracked it against the aquarium wall. It shorted out, but fortunately it didn't kill him, and there was no fire. Could have been worse.

yeah. the thought of a leak and you electrifying your water bath is worth the $20. Or you could go with a titanium one and not worry about breaking it this winter.

B

If you figure in all the time you're gonna waste trying to come up with a fix for an off the shelf $20 item, you'll be money ahead to buy a new heater.

I have lots of experience with that, don't do it once those things break they are pretty much useless. If your worried about breaking one again you can get a titanium heater anywhere from 25 watts to 300 watts with an external temp controller.

A good place to go is:

Champion Lighting & Supply

Rob

go to walmart.com and order the 100 watt, $20 Visitherm heater- unlike other heaters, it has a VERY accurate temp control, instead of just a 1 through 10 setting- they dont have it in stores, but i ordered it online and picked it up at the walmart down the street in three days

they also have a 50 watt one thats a few bucks cheaper that would do fine for single carboys, but i use the 100 watt to heat 2 carboys at a time

Latest posts

Back