Crown cap labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilTOJ

Reaction score
I've always wanted to make labels, but hate removing them off the bottles. I thought about using just the color of the caps to determine which is which, but that worked out as well as putting color coded stickers on them. Well, I found these Avery labels that are 7/8" diameter that are perfect for beer bottle caps. You can print text and/or pictures onto them. They come 24 to a page, and the box holds 1008 labels for $5.99. That's good for, like, 20 batches! The actual label number is 05408, and the template number is 5472. You can get the template here. It's got nagware before you can download it, but putting in any name and email will let you through to the template.

I've done the same thing with 3/4" round labels and a laser printer...works wonders...but now, I wanna take it a step further and look into screen printing the caps perhaps.
I tried making custom stamps and stuff, but it was so frustrating getting the stamp centered and smudge-free (for so many caps too). Hopefully, with a decent frame to hold the caps in place, and a hinge kind of system to place and lift the screen, it could go quite smoothly and efficiently.
I know, a lot of initial time and money investment, but I'm weird like that I guess....always trying to take it to the next level.

OK, here's an example of what I mean. It's pretty basic, I just printed the words onto the labels, but eventually I'll get fancier with them.

crown_cap_labels.jpg

It's kinda hard to read, but it says "Tripel Tripel Tripel" in fancy font.

I've always wanted to make labels, but hate removing them off the bottles. I thought about using just the color of the caps to determine which is which, but that worked out as well as putting color coded stickers on them. Well, I found these Avery labels that are 7/8" diameter that are perfect for beer bottle caps. You can print text and/or pictures onto them. They come 24 to a page, and the box holds 1008 labels for $5.99. That's good for, like, 20 batches! The actual label number is 05408, and the template number is 5472. You can get the template here. It's got nagware before you can download it, but putting in any name and email will let you through to the template.

I had been kegging for a while, but wanted to get back to bottling. I had the same idea. I am putting the round Avery labels on the caps. I've been hand writing with a ball point pen on the top.

I am putting 8A for the first batch of 2008, 8B for the second batch of 2008, ect...

I doubt I will make it all the way up to 8Z before we hit the new year. I guess I could move on to 8AA after that.

I've been using the same naming scheme for my recipes in BeerSmith. I start a new recipe in beersmith for every batch that I brew. This is how I keep a record of my dates and temps reached.

give wwwOnlineLabels.com a try. They offer every Avery label size and have a free design tool to help you create labels. Hope this helps.

I found the avery labels a pain. Getting the print lined up on the stickers properly took many failed printing attempts.

What I do now is print out the labels on 8 1/2 X 11 sticker paper, and use my wifes scrapbooking circle cutter to punch them out. It is a full sheet of sticker paper, not already pre-cut. It works great. I just labeled an ESB today. I can get a lot on the label. This is what was on the esb's label, all on the cap:

ESB
4.3%
og – 48 fg – 15
batch #6
6/26/08​

That really is a great idea and are no where near as hard to remove than normal bottle labels. Looking at the picture as well they look truely great...big well done for thinking of that!

I have viewed label removal as part of bottle cleaning, and since I use either milk or flour/water as an adhesive (whatever is on hand at the time) the labels fall right off with a 10 min soak in hot water. Give them a rinse and sanitize w/star san, and I have a batch of bottles ready to go in about an hour.

But labels on the caps is still a great idea if you don't want to go through the hassle of removing the original labels from bottles.... It is a pain having to let them soak in oxi clean overnight.... all that waiting.... :D

Are there any avery cap sized labels that come on 8.5x11 (letter sized) sheets that I can just feed thru my laser printer? I don't know how to print on a small 4x6 sheet.

Are there any avery cap sized labels that come on 8.5x11 (letter sized) sheets that I can just feed thru my laser printer? I don't know how to print on a small 4x6 sheet.

does your laser printer not have a manual print tray? you could always print on a 4x6 index card to seee how it will handle it, most can feed other sizes than 8.5x11, you just need to offset the paper to the left or right side.

these things are great btw...i'm using them to label my yeast in the yeast bank, now i don't have to worry about my handwriting being awful...

Back