Things about your co-workers that annoy you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those that smell too "good." It's perfume/cologne, not room spray!
The constant whiners.
The people that think that somehow sweating while performing a job that a monkey could do means they work harder than somebody who actually has to think and take responsibility for their job.
HR that is more concerned with saving the company a few $$ while screwing over the workers.
The guy that has been at the place since it was a start-up, so that everybody thinks that he knows the best way to do something, but is so behind the times that he makes things so much harder to troubleshoot. Says he is open to suggestions because he is always ready to learn, but will fight tooth and nail to keep doing it the way he's always done it.

I am more annoyed by people who would rather smell good rather than break a sweat. People who somehow think sitting at a desk can even remotely be called work.

Says the person posting on a forum that is running on an infrastructure maintained by a bunch of people sitting at desks.... those fvckers should get real jobs!

I spend more than half my time working a desk. A console, really. The desk is behind me. I swap between the two. It is work. It's responsibility too. There's a lot to keep up with. A lot to know and a lot of decisions to make on the spot.

But it damn sure ain't work like roofing, mowing, wrenching or any other out in the weather working your body (and mind) work. I'm thankful for that. I ain't forgot what it's like to use a hedge trimmer when it's 90+ out and humid. Or tote bus tubs around the dinning room. Or lug a carpet cleaner around. Those folks out in the dirt are working. And how.

And I still get out there. Pulling 2" hose. Cranking valves. Schleping sample baskets. Climbing stairs and ladders. Yep. It's work.

Seconded. I work Sunday from 3-11pm. Then come back in at 6:30 in the morning M-R. It really irks me when my relief is 30 minutes late every Sunday for the past year. One time she didnt even show up and I was the guy pulling the double. 16 hours is doable for me, anything over that is just cruel and unusual punishment. Not to mention that since I am the single, competent guy with no children I am always tapped to work on major holidays or natural disasters.

Got called again last night at 12:45 as the new chick showed up late. WTF! My boss usually will take Christmas so I can hang with the family. Most other hokidays, I'm working...but being salary, there is no OT. Also have a stinky coworker, however I don't have to be around her unless it's a lame arse mandatory inservice or training.
Spent 3 days at one next to her and thought I was gonna die. Bathing and deodorant, ever hear of them?

Also have a stinky coworker, however I don't have to be around her unless it's a lame arse mandatory inservice or training.
Spent 3 days at one next to her and thought I was gonna die. Bathing and deodorant, ever hear of them?

I actually indefinitely suspended a employee without pay, until he could present himself in a sufficiently hygienic manner. It took him 3 days to figure out I was serious.

Some people at my work take water bottles with a hole in the cap in the stalls with them. They then use them as a portable bidet, and splash ass-water everywhere.

I can't stand these disgusting animals.

PLEASE, PLEASE tell us you're making that up! PLEASE!

:eek:

Zuljin said:
Quit turning off the damn alarms! Operate the plant and you won't have so many going off all the time.

OMG! I was sitting in the control room listening to a co-worker's alarms when I read this. They make a "shelve alarm" button for a reason.

I am more annoyed by people who would rather smell good rather than break a sweat. People who somehow think sitting at a desk can even remotely be called work.
Nice to know that despite being 6'0", 300 lbs, and a former construction worker, since my skill set makes me more valuable to the company operating a computer than any field survey equipment, I don't actually do any work. I'll keep that in mind the next time I spend all day working on assessment rates for 22,000 acres of land.

There's a difference between "manual labor" and "work". It's too bad you don't know what it is.

No need to worry about the differences between a hard days work and working hard for days - each have their stresses depending on how folks apply themselves.

Two major annoyances.

The company parrot - the guy that receives the company or department wide e-mail (that we all get) and forwards it to the whole department with nothing but "FYI" added in.

Slow & formal chatters - we use chat software for quick informal communication. The folks that message me with "hello!" and wait for a response, then take 3 minutes to type their 10 word question are not worth my attention... a phone call would be faster.

When people catch me in the hall and say "Im going to send you an email about something." Just freaking tell me now while Im standing here.

OMG! I was sitting in the control room listening to a co-worker's alarms when I read this. They make a "shelve alarm" button for a reason.

We have a disable feature to turn off individual alarms. It doesn't work for all of them though. Some of them have no screen access. We don't want them turned off even accidentally. But every one of them can be corrected. Make an adjustment to the process, get that equipment back in proper operation, acknowledge the alarm and it's done. Only once have we had an audible that was totally bogus and it was fixed in a day.

So, does your "shelve alarm" feature disable it, suspend it or knock down its priority? Just silence it? The Control Room is the bulk of my job and I'm always interested in alarm management.

When people catch me in the hall and say "Im going to send you an email about something." Just freaking tell me now while Im standing here.

Oh no. Send me the email. I mean, sure, tell me now, but send me the email. That way, I know and you know exactly what it is you wanted.

Zuljin said:
We have a disable feature to turn off individual alarms. It doesn't work for all of them though. Some of them have no screen access. We don't want them turned off even accidentally. But every one of them can be corrected. Make an adjustment to the process, get that equipment back in proper operation, acknowledge the alarm and it's done. Only once have we had an audible that was totally bogus and it was fixed in a day.

So, does your "shelve alarm" feature disable it, suspend it or knock down its priority? Just silence it? The Control Room is the bulk of my job and I'm always interested in alarm management.

Our alarms can be shelved for 30min, 1,2,4,8, or 12 hours depending in what the cause of the alarm is. If its a temporary upset it gets a short one. If its something that's being worked on, you can go the whole shift. There are some that seem to be in alarm constantly. That's stuff that management is weeding through to see if we need. Usually just requires a setpoint change for the alarm. What kind of product do you make?

The Tapper or Clicker, as I secretly refer to him. Guy next cubicle over...doesn't matter what he has in his hand, he will constantly tap it on his desk. Heaven forbid it's a retractable ball point pen then it's clicking the thing in and out, intermixed with tapping it on his desk.

And, while not directly my coworkers because none of them smoke, the folks in other departments who can't manage to put their cig butts in the butt cans in the outside commons area, but instead think the world is their butt can or ashtray.

"Open Door policy" I have ADHD every time you walk by I stop what I'm doing an go off on multiple tangents let me shut my GD office door.:mad: (like HBT)

1. When they talk
2. The sound of our supervisor typing. Hunt & peck with authority. He must burn through a keyboard every 6 months
3. Rules made by MBA's that have likely never performed the task that they are making asinine rules for
4. The TP that is provided for us. I have started bringing my own. That paper will strip the effing skin right off of you. Yes, I could try and save it for home, but we work 10 hour shifts and sometimes you gotta go.
5. Co-workers who's fathers die right before a scheduled vacation, allowing the co-worker to take the 3 days bereavement right before the start of their vacation. Sounds cold, but this guy is WHOLE LOT like Klinger from M*A*S*H. I've thought of keeping a file on how often he has a relative die and the proximity to his vacation.

The company parrot - the guy that receives the company or department wide e-mail (that we all get) and forwards it to the whole department with nothing but "FYI" added in.

12389518_d0efd28c2b.jpg

"Ummmm...yeah...did you get that memo? I'll just go ahead and send you another copy."

Our alarms can be shelved for 30min, 1,2,4,8, or 12 hours depending in what the cause of the alarm is. If its a temporary upset it gets a short one. If its something that's being worked on, you can go the whole shift. There are some that seem to be in alarm constantly. That's stuff that management is weeding through to see if we need. Usually just requires a setpoint change for the alarm. What kind of product do you make?

We make water. Well, clean water. :D You making Nissans over there?

I like that shelving system. We sort of have that feature with time delays attached to dead bands. Set the alarm set point to 12" with a .5" dead band and a 30 second time delay. If it's going to be at high level for a while, extend the alarm sp, db or td. The hazard there is those settings do not expire. Neither does a disable. That can burn an Operator if they don't catch it or know where to set it back to. And not everybody has the rights to make those adjustments. But they could damn sure open an air valve to relieve pressure on the header and bring the blower out of overload alarm! Just sayin. :p

firerat said:
Remember those people sitting at a desk keep your job running. Everybody has their part.

Exactly. A good portion of my job is desk work. I spend hours a day in my work truck surveying and doing inspections too. It pisses me off when the work crews give me **** about having an easy job. They should go get their college degree and take my job then. I worked more than a dozen years on landscaping crews and warehouse grunt work. All while I went to college while raising 3 kids. These fu$&ers are lazy compared to the **** I used to have to do just to feed my kids.

People who don't mute while on a conference call.

Unless you are talking or directly involved in the conversation mute your phone. I don't want to listen to you typing or breathing.

I am the head bartender and have to deal with sh*t like this all the time because our kitchen manager is completely incompetent. I clean the cooler at least once a month and it goes back to this within a week every time. Imagine trying to change a keg (which I do at least three times a day when we're busy). You can't even see the 24 kegs we have from all the other sh*t.

work cooler 1.jpg

work cooler 2.jpg

I am the head bartender and have to deal with sh*t like this all the time because our kitchen manager is completely incompetent. I clean the cooler at least once a month and it goes back to this within a week every time. Imagine trying to change a keg (which I do at least three times a day when we're busy). You can't even see the 24 kegs we have from all the other sh*t.

WTF how can they keep thier stock straight with that clutter!?

Maybe you can invite Gordon Ramsay to do an episode of Kitchen Nightmares. He'd have a conniption over that. :)

People who don't mute while on a conference call.

Unless you are talking or directly involved in the conversation mute your phone. I don't want to listen to you typing or breathing.

I like to eat apples when there are 5 or more people, then deny eating anything when asked.

I want to include female co-workers who want to know every little detail about your marriage/relationship and then act like your SWMBO is their best friend (without ever having actually met her). I'm not even talking basic information like, "what's her name?", "what does she do for a living?"...more like:

Where did you meet? What was your first date?
Does her family like you?
How long did you date before you proposed? Really, why that long? How did you propose? Did you pick out the ring yourself? How did she react?
Does she have any tattoos? What are they? Does she care that you don't have any?
What TV shows does she watch? Does she listen to [band name]?
While talking to her on the phone: "Tell her I said 'hi'!"

I'm fine with talking about stuff other than work, but geez, I'll volunteer the history of my relationship if and when I feel like it.

My favorite? The boss who tried to get me to do work that I wasn't qualified for and hadn't been hired to do. And then she yelped at me for asking questions. I finally just walked off the job and haven't been back.

MoonshineJane73 said:
My favorite? The boss who tried to get me to do work that I wasn't qualified for and hadn't been hired to do. And then she yelped at me for asking questions. I finally just walked off the job and haven't been back.

Most of that comment reminds me of my career in the Navy. Now I'm in the civilian sector and they do the same thing. I'm okay with that, I like what I do and always enjoy learning something new.
A good company and good bosses make the difference between hating a job and enjoying any challenge that comes along.

Most of that comment reminds me of my career in the Navy. Now I'm in the civilian sector and they do the same thing. I'm okay with that, I like what I do and always enjoy learning something new.
A good company and good bosses make the difference between hating a job and enjoying any challenge that comes along.

it did remind me of the Navy

a good company, good bosses and GOOD COWORKERS. the ship I was on had a damn good crew; my shipmates kept me sane on deployments

well... relatively sane

GrogNerd said:
it did remind me of the Navy

a good company, good bosses and GOOD COWORKERS. the ship I was on had a damn good crew; my shipmates kept me sane on deployments

well... relatively sane

Yes you are correct!! Good shipmates. People you trust and they trust you. Gawd I do miss the Navy sometimes.

When I actually want to sit and do my 2 hours of work for the week, I have these headphones I wear and listen to music. Helps drown out the idiots around me. Anyway they are these big honkin' sony headphones, you know with the big foam earpads and nice bass. I look like an astronaut wearing them.

Anyway, why the hell are people tapping me on the shoulder to interrupt me and ask me a stupid question? Yeah... I wasn't busy...

Just send me an email!

We have a guy at work who drives a full size pickup. Quite a few people here do, actually, including myself. Everybody, except this one guy, knows how to park it within the confines of a single parking spot. I have never seen this guy take up less than 2. This is not an exaggeration. Every time. Today he parked directly in the middle of 2, with the back end hanging 1/4 into 2 other spots. What's the tactful way to say, "Dude, you park like an *******?"

Edit : He's also the type who has no need for a full size pickup. Myself, I do a lot of woodworking and routinely haul 12+ ft boards of hardwood, or multiple sheets of plywood. Other people here hunt, farm, etc. This guy is a 60 year old loafer.

We have a guy at work who drives a full size pickup. Quite a few people here do, actually, including myself. Everybody, except this one guy, knows how to park it within the confines of a single parking spot. I have never seen this guy take up less than 2. This is not an exaggeration. Every time. Today he parked directly in the middle of 2, with the back end hanging 1/4 into 2 other spots. What's the tactful way to say, "Dude, you park like an *******?"

Edit : He's also the type who has no need for a full size pickup. Myself, I do a lot of woodworking and routinely haul 12+ ft boards of hardwood, or multiple sheets of plywood. Other people here hunt, farm, etc. This guy is a 60 year old loafer.

Take photo of ****ty parking job.
Print photo, write something directly insulting.
Post your new sign on the door heading out of the office.

Try to make it funny so it doens't get ripped down. And don't let anyone see you!

Back