Group Buy in Chicago #7

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glynn, I tried one of your beers and it was good. Not sure what you were trying to brew but it tasted like a pale ale. It was clean and well carbonated. I thought maybe mashing a slightly higher temperature would have given it a little more body; also, this was a low abv beer, right? If you had more hops especially late session it would be a pretty damn good ipa. As it is now it's a nice, clean easy drinking pale ale. Great color by the way. I plan on drinking the rest. Thank you for sharing.

ya i hit my mash temp of 156 but it was really cold and in 7 min it dropped to 152. i managed to hold after wrapping a blanket around it. plus i my yeast was very very happy and it finished out at 1.006 for a 5.8% normally it only hits around 1.011/10 abv was supposed to be 5 the recipe is posted on the site. its naughty kitty bobtail pale ale

Order made it back to my house, and the hops are getting vacuum sealed tomorrow morning. Thanks to whoever brought up the FoodSaver deal.

Semi-unrelated note but I start my new job tomorrow. Accepted a position before leaving to speak at a conference, have been getting all the paperwork out of the way so I can dive in tomorrow.

Order made it back to my house, and the hops are getting vacuum sealed tomorrow morning. Thanks to whoever brought up the FoodSaver deal.

Semi-unrelated note but I start my new job tomorrow. Accepted a position before leaving to speak at a conference, have been getting all the paperwork out of the way so I can dive in tomorrow.

Glad you found employment so soon.

ya i hit my mash temp of 156 but it was really cold and in 7 min it dropped to 152. i managed to hold after wrapping a blanket around it. plus i my yeast was very very happy and it finished out at 1.006 for a 5.8% normally it only hits around 1.011/10 abv was supposed to be 5 the recipe is posted on the site. its naughty kitty bobtail pale ale

You could always add some carapils to your grain bill. The carapils adds body and helps with head retention since it is unfermentable.

For most of my receips I add a pound of carapils when making a 10 gallon batch. Don't go overboard as I have noticed if you add two pounds, then the beer seems to foam too much when dispensed from kegerator. Just an alternative.

Mark

You could always add some carapils to your grain bill. The carapils adds body and helps with head retention since it is unfermentable.

For most of my receips I add a pound of carapils when making a 10 gallon batch. Don't go overboard as I have noticed if you add two pounds, then the beer seems to foam too much when dispensed from kegerator. Just an alternative.

Mark

I use to add carpils to all my recipes but ive been getting away from doing that lately. i'v been experimenting as to weather it really makes a difference or not

I use to add carpils to all my recipes but ive been getting away from doing that lately. i'v been experimenting as to weather it really makes a difference or not

Neopol and I were discussing carapils on Friday night. He uses wheat in place of carapils for body and foam retention. I almost always use carapils in my pale ales and IPAs. Matter of preference I guess.

I go back and forth, but I've found that wheat can leave a slight haze. For darker beers it really isn't much of an issue but for lighter beers I think carapils is the way to go. I can never get the haze to go away unless the wheat bill is boosted up to around 40%, then the haze starts to disappear. Just my thoughts.

Hi Bill, I understand that you will be around your house at 2-2:30 this afternoon (Monday). I can go there and pick up some grain.

I go back and forth, but I've found that wheat can leave a slight haze. For darker beers it really isn't much of an issue but for lighter beers I think carapils is the way to go. I can never get the haze to go away unless the wheat bill is boosted up to around 40%, then the haze starts to disappear. Just my thoughts.

You were listening in...that's about how the convo went too. Except with the big wheat bill beers the haze never goes away until my brew hits shy of room temps. And I have a very green kolsch(20% wht) that is very clear at least now that the yeast decided to go nappy-town and get that bite out of it, I'll post a pic later. The other kegs are lagering, my impatience won on the green-tapping.

Bill, considering I need to pick up my table and misc...if you need a hand later in the week sweeping the place out from all the splits dust kernals hulls and misc mess...if so just say the word.

You were listening in...that's about how the convo went too. Except with the big wheat bill beers the haze never goes away until my brew hits shy of room temps. And I have a very green kolsch that is very clear at least now that the yeast decided to go nappy-town and get that bite out of it, I'll post a pic later. The other kegs are lagering, my impatience won on the green-tapping.

Bill, considering I need to pick up my table and misc...if you need a hand later in the week sweeping the place out from all the splits dust kernals hulls and misc mess...if so just say the word.

Thanks for the offer but it isn't that bad surprisingly enough.

Edit: we need to figure something out. I should be free the latter half of this week.

Neopol and I were discussing carapils on Friday night. He uses wheat in place of carapils for body and foam retention. I almost always use carapils in my pale ales and IPAs. Matter of preference I guess.

In my lower grav brews i try to re-lie on my mash temp for body. on the higher one, im more prone to using wheat. i personally dont care if my beer has a head on it or not. im not anti cpils just wanted to see if it reall made a difference

Kolsch yeast collected stored in a half gallon ball jar in the fridge still hanging around. Yeast still in suspension.

ForumRunner_20130311_174338.png

Green kolsch very short lager period,(1 week) fairly clear and little haze.

ForumRunner_20130311_174400.png

With Tabasco box behind, little haze easy to read.

ForumRunner_20130311_174434.png

The grain bill was 20% wheat, 80% pilsen, motueka on all hops.

Yes, I was going to pull 3-4 oz for you. I'm going to burn that entire bag of subbed pilsen, and run 30 gal possibly this weekend. Its very clean as it stands in that jar, the dark spots are co2 pockets.

Yes, I was going to pull 3-4 oz for you. I'm going to burn that entire bag of subbed pilsen, and run 30 gal possibly this weekend. Its very clean as it stands in that jar, the dark spots are co2 pockets.

are you sure you bought enough grain? :D

No actually I should have grabbed a couple more 2 row, but I have 5 kolsch- lagering, 15 Dopplebock- lagering, 20 gumbyhead forcecarbing, 10 saison aging, 10 belgian dubbel still jacking around in the carboys, 5 chocolate stout aging...and 5 kegs tapped.. So I'm a little in front with some beer on hand this time.

I can't wait to do a smoked porter, coffee stout, and a Belgian quad with the adjuncts I picked up this time. That extra special dark was super raisin-ee.

Hey I thought I made a post in here yesterday but didn't seem to go through. Is there anyway I can pick up tomorrow around 330? Or Wednesday around 5? My sister just had her first child so this weekend was a little crazy for me...

Hey I thought I made a post in here yesterday but didn't seem to go through. Is there anyway I can pick up tomorrow around 330? Or Wednesday around 5? My sister just had her first child so this weekend was a little crazy for me...

check your PMs

Almost all of the grain has been picked up and it seems that there will be some hiccups with people getting their splits. Please check what you took against what you ordered. There were too many splits for my liking to be honest. This will need to be revisited for the next buy which will probably be in June/July. I am going to limit splits in the database to kust specialty malts and adjuncts. Splits are too much work and it's too easy for them to get mixed up with other splits thus people take the wrong items (i.e. carapils 20 vs caramunich 20).

I checked my order and all looks good. I fully understand if you want to limit the splits for your own sanity.

if someone accidentally took extra rice hulls that they were not supposed to please let me know. I am short 10 pounds. thanks.

I would agree on limiting splits. I would limit each person to a max number as well, like three. Not to be a Scrooge, but that looked like an insane amount of work.

I'm thinking of limiting splits to 2-way only. I am of the opinion that if you want only 10 pounds of black malt (for example) then buy it at your LHBS. Chances are you don't even need 10 pounds so that's all the more reason to buy from your LHBS.

Hey Bill, I can pick my grain up tomorrow, Wednesday, or Thursday in the early afternoon around 1-2 o'clock. Do any of those days/times work for you? Otherwise, would this weekend be OK?

I'm thinking of limiting splits to 2-way only. I am of the opinion that if you want only 10 pounds of black malt (for example) then buy it at your LHBS. Chances are you don't even need 10 pounds so that's all the more reason to buy from your LHBS.

Bill,

I would have to agree that splits in half would be the way to go. If you look at the cost of a typical 50/55 lbs sack of grain, the cost difference between someone having to purchase 25 lbs versus 12.5 lbs is maybe another $10. When you consider all the manpower to split 4 ways, the buyers involved should be OK with spending another $10 to get these great prices on everything else being ordered, even if half a sack lasts them longer than planned. Heck, they could throw out the grain if it gets too old and still come out way ahead in the long run.

Maybe a column in the spreadsheet can be added to indicate a zip code or town next to each buyer. As individuals are ordering they first provide their zip code, which is transferred to the spreadsheet so buyers can look at the spreadsheet for others that might live nearby. This might help people to network together to coordinate order pickups or split grain on their own thereby relieving your team the workload of doing splits. In a perfect world I would think you would rather move full sacks of grain than splitting everything up.

Mark

Bill,

I would have to agree that splits in half would be the way to go. If you look at the cost of a typical 50/55 lbs sack of grain, the cost difference between someone having to purchase 25 lbs versus 12.5 lbs is maybe another $10. When you consider all the manpower to split 4 ways, the buyers involved should be OK with spending another $10 to get these great prices on everything else being ordered, even if half a sack lasts them longer than planned. Heck, they could throw out the grain if it gets too old and still come out way ahead in the long run.

Maybe a column in the spreadsheet can be added to indicate a zip code or town next to each buyer. As individuals are ordering they first provide their zip code, which is transferred to the spreadsheet so buyers can look at the spreadsheet for others that might live nearby. This might help people to network together to coordinate order pickups or split grain on their own thereby relieving your team the workload of doing splits. In a perfect world I would think you would rather move full sacks of grain than splitting everything up.

Mark

Yes, ideally we wouldn't split anything. If you want me to send you the bung for your barrel PM me your address.

I'm starting to see some faces I know from past buys. I think we could do splits on our own. It will give us another excuse to get together. Bill I think all my grain is correct or at least correctly labeled and I have no rice. Dave nice dogs, dogs that size really makes a statement. If you come over for a BBQ, they better not eat my puppy.

Almost all of the grain has been picked up and it seems that there will be some hiccups with people getting their splits. Please check what you took against what you ordered. There were too many splits for my liking to be honest. This will need to be revisited for the next buy which will probably be in June/July. I am going to limit splits in the database to kust specialty malts and adjuncts. Splits are too much work and it's too easy for them to get mixed up with other splits thus people take the wrong items (i.e. carapils 20 vs caramunich 20).

I fully support whatever decision is made, I'm a recipe tweaker and a split whore. But at the same time, I don't mind slinging the bags and breaking the splits down. I would say, no splits on any base grains or < C60 in all maltster aliases and no hulls. I also think we could organize the splits in an easier to pick manner. I think the nine of us that handled all those splits really kicked it. Again though, after we all leave you get stuck with the extra aggravation of sorting and filling..so whatever is least imposing is best for all.

I'm starting to see some faces I know from past buys. I think we could do splits on our own. It will give us another excuse to get together. Bill I think all my grain is correct or at least correctly labeled and I have no rice. Dave nice dogs, dogs that size really makes a statement. If you come over for a BBQ, they better not eat my puppy.

Mike, I've had shutzhund trained dogs in my younger years, I no longer believe in teaching dogs to be aggressive, my dogs are big but sissies nonetheless. They would not harm your little guy, they are 150 lb lap dogs.

Maybe we could limit the splits to the malts that are used in percentages of 5% or less? Like acid malt, black malt, etc. I also would like to limit Maris Otter to one maltser like Thomas Fawcett. Same thing with the pale. I'll keep my opinion to myself on "organic" malts. :D

I could see half-bag splits on all crystal malts, just my 2 cents. I would be ok with a single Marris otter source too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back