Hydrometer issuses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baker0408

Reaction score
I just bottled my first patch of pale ale today. When I cooled the wort and took a hydrometer reading, the hydrometer just sank to the bottom of the tube! Same thing happened today when I went to bottle! Am I missing something???

Thanks in advance!

Not at all. I filled the tube about 3/4 of the way so it would not over flow, but bulb was fully submerged.

I am not sure what the reading was, because I was to flustered by the fact it didn't float. It was some ridiculous reading maybe 1.09ish.

I want to take a reading to decide whether or not I want to move to the secondary. What is the safest way to get a sample out of my primary? Should I cyphon a little out? I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to expose air to it.

baker0408 said:
I am not sure what the reading was, because I was to flustered by the fact it didn't float. It was some ridiculous reading maybe 1.09ish.

If it bottomed out at 1.090, you definitely didn't have enough beer in the tube.
1) Put the hydrometer in the empty tube
2) Mark the tube at the level of the 1.000 reading
3) Use that mark as the fill guide (some may spill, no big deal)

Alternately, depending on how you take your samples, put the hydro in the tube and then add the beer until the hydro floats.

bobwantbeer said:
I want to take a reading to decide whether or not I want to move to the secondary. What is the safest way to get a sample out of my primary? Should I cyphon a little out? I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to expose air to it.

Get a Wine Thief

Available at any HBS worth a damn.

The amount of oxygen you'll introduce is negligible. RDWHAHB

Bike N Brew said:
If it bottomed out at 1.090, you definitely didn't have enough beer in the tube.
1) Put the hydrometer in the empty tube
2) Mark the tube at the level of the 1.000 reading
3) Use that mark as the fill guide (some may spill, no big deal)

Alternately, depending on how you take your samples, put the hydro in the tube and then add the beer until the hydro floats.

Thanks a lot! I'll give that a try in my next batch!

Back