Imperial White-- (Think Imperial Blue Moon)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veinman

Reaction score
I really enjoy the "Blue Moon/Keiths White/Sleeman White" flavor on hot summer days and was thinking that if I jacked up the intensity of the recipe it would be delicious during winter evenings when it's cold and bolder flavors are generally desired. I searched and found that Sam Adams apparently has an "Imperial White" but didn't find a ton of information so I've decided as a starting point I'm simply going to double by Blue Moon Clone recipe for all ingredients and give it time to age until Christmas before drinking. So here is my Imperial White Recipe

Imperial White
5.5 Gallon Batch at 75% Efficiency
9.0 lbs Pale Malt
9.0 lbs Wheat Malt
2.0 lbs Flaked Oats
3.0 oz Hallertauer hops at 60 mins
2.0 oz ground coriander
3.0 oz sweet orange peel
S-05 yeast pitch onto yeast cake currently working on a centennial blonde

mash low at 150 for 60 minutes than sparge
OG: 1.100
FG: 1.018 (guessing)
10.77% ABV

I'm wondering if the coriander and orange peel be doubled or maybe only bumped by 50%. Anyone ever tried an Imperial White and have results to speak of?

I actually wouldn't increase the spices at all (I made that mistake imperializing a Hennepin clone). After it ages you can always make a tea with them and add it to taste at bottling if it needs it. Otherwise it should be interesting, good luck.

I have been thinking about this myself. I'm also curious on how this turned out. The Sam Adams imperial white you mentioned i've seen in the store. However I haven't felt like paying 4+ a bottle. Maybe this weekend :mug:

Back