Dry Irish Stout - Flaked Barley - Do I Crush?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hebby5

Reaction score
On a whim, I decided to buy an AG kit from my LHBS store of a Dry Irish Stout. My siblings love stouts and thought I'd make some beer for them.

I brought the kit home and will crush the grains in the next couple days ahead of my Saturday brew day.

It has 2-row (6#), flaked barley (1#), and roasted barley (1#) for its grain bill.

I've never brewed with flaked barley. Do I crush that along with the 2-row and roasted barley??

As always, thanks in advance.

Just let me know.

Thanks,

Chris

Nope just the barley And pale. Flaked are treated with steam and crushed. So no need. Same with flaked oats.

My last couple AG brews have been "family style". I mash in the afternoon, collect my wort, and put a lid on it (all during my son's nap). After all the kids are down, I get my boil on. I really didn't think I smacked my Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) very hard but the top seal burst open. Yikes! I think I lost about 1/3 of my liquid yeast and quickly shoved the rest in a ziplock bag. Finished the boil, cooled the wort down, and pitched. Bubbling away next morning. On the brighter side, I hit 87% brew house efficiency. I've been at 60 - 70% my last 5 brews and think I got 'er dialed in now. Here are some pics from brew day. Will let you know how it turns out. Cheers. ~Chris

IMG_1.JPG

IMG_2.JPG

IMG_3.JPG

IMG_4.JPG

IMG_5.JPG

Back