Honey Wheat recipe suggestions....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIusedtoBe

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm looking to brew a honey wheat extract/grain (steeping not all grain)

I found this in a book:

"Mad Bee Wheat"

4 lb Wheat malt ext. (60%barley/ 40%wheat)
3.5 lb LME
1.5 lb Orange blossom honey
1.5 oz Hallertaur 3.1% Alpha /bittering
.5 oz Cascade 5.5% Alpha /flavor
.5 oz Cascade 5.5% Alpha /aroma

Wyeast #3068 Weihenstephan
3/4 corn sugar/priming

OG 1.060
FG 1.018

Anybody brewed this before?

I've got Muntons extracts which I believe are 55%Wheat and 45% Barley. I also plan on using @ 2 lbs of local clover honey as opposed to orange blossom honey. Are my proposed changes reasonable?

Also, I'm not deadset on brewing this recipe so if anyone has any awesome extract honey wheats they're willing to share, I'd love to see them.

Thanks,
Alan W

First off, I am a Reinheitsgebot brewer when it comes to Hefe Weizens so I don't use honey for them. ;)

Your recipe looks pretty stable to me, except for the honey.

If you dropped the honey and used the Weihenstephan yeast it will be closer to a German brew. I would omit the last 2 hop additions as German HWs don't generally use them.

If you insist on using the honey I would not waste a good German yeast on a honey brew. Any American Wheat yeast will suffice. ;)

What grains were you planning on steeping? I didn't see any. :confused:

This is just one recipe I found for a "Honey Wheat". They are really not my style of beer but I know a lot of people including my wife that like these types of beers. I've also got a relative by marriage that keeps bees and I promised I'd use some of his honey.

I'm really leaning toward doing an Aventinus Wiezenbock clone next anyway.

Basically I guess I'm trolling for any proven Honey Wheat recipes to hedge my bet for success.

As far as the grain goes, no this recipe did'nt call for any. I put Extract/grain in the original message trying to make sure no one thought I meant all grain. I ain't there yet!

Thanks much for the replies,
Alan W

Back