March pumps clogging/ therminator issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfrost12

Reaction score
I am about to finish my system where I am not moving beer around by hand, to having a pump with QD's and hoses to alleviate all the hand movement of wort and h20. I have had issues when using my therminator when it is gravity fed, during AG batches there's a 1/3 chance it gets clogged and I have to fiddle with it for 10 minutes to unclog it. I am wondering if half the reason is that it cools so quickly the proteins and such are dropping out inside the chiller, or if its just the grain husks and hops that are suspended and coming through the chiller that are clogging it up. The junk at the end of the chill when cleaning seems to be a mix of both things.

My question really boils down to, is this stuff going to clog the march pump if I have that running, or will it help alleviate the chance of clogging inside the therminator since there is a higher pressure. I have also tried a boil screen on the inlet inside the brew kettle, but there was scorching underneath it at one point so I stopped using that.

My other option is to get a pump and a immersion chiller, and stop using the therminator since it becomes such a mess to clean up and a pain to remember to bake it before each brew.

Also in terms of the pump, it should be able to handle the grain husks and first run offs from the mash tun as well, correct?

Back