Things to do in Milwaukee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hugh_Jass

Reaction score
Going to be in Milwaukee the end of this month for a wedding. We're looking for a few places to have a drink/eat. Any suggestions would be appreciated.:mug:

Go to the Shotz Brewery!! (sorry, couldn't help myself :cross:)

10.jpg

Looks like there are a bunch of breweries/brewpubs to check out. Enjoy!

[ame]http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=milwaukee+breweries&fb=1&gl=us&hq=breweries&hnear=Milwaukee,+WI&ei=p8I0TK2AEML38Aad8tHICw&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CDMQtgMwAA[/ame]

Theres quite a few breweries..Lakefront, Water Street, Milwaukee Ale House. If you want a great burger for cheap check out Sobelmans.

Lakefront brewery, Sprecher Brewery for brew tours.

Milwaukee Ale House has some great beers and good food. 2 hand pumps, usually have their porter on cask but sometimes have something interesting.

I would not miss Sugar Maple in bayview.

One of my favorite things to do is to go to the Milwaukee Ale House. It'd be fine for the kids, too, if they're going along. Right next door is a pizza place with good beer on tap. Both have outside dining on the river, and good food and service (and beer).

Kitty corner from there is the Public Market, and it's always fun to walk through there. Downtown is very walkable, and walking the RiverWalk is usually fun and interesting.

For "good" food, there are two German restaurants. Mader's is on Old World Third Street, across from the famous sausage place.

Across from the Water Street Brewery is a bar I like called Bar Louie. It's got a long happy hour (like 4-9 PM) and lots of beer on tap. The food is better there than the Water Street Brewery, too. On the next block, if you turn left (I think it's Juneau), there is an Irish pub with three separate bars/buildings. It's pretty nice, but they don't have much good beer. On the next block, going east, is another Irish pub right on the river.

Of course, only 200 miles north from there is our house so you can always pop in here for a good beer and meal. :tank:

I almost forgot! Down by the airport there is a great authentic Mexican restaurant with good prices. I think the name is Jalapenos, or something like that. It's right on the airport road and it's really good.

never been to jalapenos, but if you want good mexican just go to the mexican district, ~5th and national.

la fuente's, bonitas...that also puts you near places like steny's and just north of cafe lulu and sugar maple.

Thanks for the responses!

Booked the hotel. We're staying at the Pfister Hotel. Forgot to add, we're traveling with another couple who are not very apt to walking.

Going to pass these suggestions along to the other couple.

Top o'my list is Maders and Bar Louie.

Any others?

thanks for the help. very much appreciated:mug:

Ya, sure der hey! Born and raised in Milwaukee, but I've been gone for a good number of years. Mader's is a MUST...old Gus knew what he was doing. Years ago, I had his grandson, Eric, as a student!

Another is John Ernst Cafe. And most any restaurant that LOOKS respectable in Milwaukee...probably is! And the Miller tour is a MUST, as well. Too bad Pabst closed down their brewery; the "Gasthaus" was exceptional!

glenn514:mug:

Lakefront brewery is good, Sugarmaple that was mentioned has 60 taps, and is a must, Bayview is the area that has a ton of craft beer bars, all with different selections of craft beer. Milwaukee street downtown has good places to eat. Cubanito's is a great mom and pop Cuban food place, Zims on the same street down a block or two is a really good sports bar, Elsa's which is just one block East of Milwaukee st, is a little pricey but has really good food. and than there is Water St, which if you want the yellow fizzy beer for cheap is the place to go.

Beer bars:

1. Palm Tavern in Bay View, cool bar, best bottle list
2. Nessun Dorma in Riverwest, great food cheap, good beers tap and bottle
3. Sugar Maple in Bay View, incredible tap list 48+

Brewpubs:

1. Milwaukee Ale house, third ward
2. Hinterland, third ward
3. Water Street, water street

High end food:

1. Roots, brewer's hill
2. Coquette Cafe, third ward
3. Hinterland, third ward

Cheaper food:

1. Nessun Dorma, Riverwest
2. Milwaukee Soup Co. (lunch), Downtown
3. La Fuente, southside (my favorite mexican and city famous margaritas)

Other cool things going on:

http://www.radiomilwaukee.org/goout.asp?u=http://www.meijergardens.org
Check out the lake front.
Have a burger (and a bloody mary) at Elsa's cafe on Cathedral square.
Listen to some live music at some weird Riverwest bars.
http://www.milwaukeefoodtours.com/ (Teresa is awesome and gives great tours). Really fun, informative and delicious.

PM me, I am full of awesome and might grace your stay with a visit :D Seriously though, I would come hang out for a bit. If your family is coming, maybe Danika and Sibella could come with... who knows.

I am going to be annoying...

Get some Canollis from Peter Sciortino's on North ave. Best canollis in Milwaukee.

Bets Irish style public house: County Claire (just north of downtown on Astor).

Oh! Holy hell!!! Best place just opened at the old Pabst location. I would totally meet you there. I got a sneak peek and it looked awesome!!!

ehh??? what's there now?

my grandpa retired from Pabst. I remember going on a tour the day he retired. sadly i was too young to drink.

Following the advice given in this thread I went to Lakefront Brewery, just happened to get there in time for the 3pm tour. For $7 I got a tour of the brewery, 4, 6 oz drafts and a pint glass with the brewery logo on it. Going on the tour also gave us a ticket for a free beer at your choice of 1 out of about 8 different bars in the area. I chose to go to Bar Louie. We went to Bar Louie and redeemed our free beers and it happened to also be happy hour so we got 3 beers and an appetizer for $4.24. One hell of a deal. After that we walked about 2 blocks to Maders Restaurant and had dinner and another half liter of dunkelwiess in das boot. Thanks for the tips, I had a lot of fun. Looking forward to my next visit and getting to hit up some other breweries in the area. In a couple of days I'll be heading to Madison and stopping at the New Glarus Brewery on the way!

Anyone have any suggestions for brewpubs to check out in Madison?

Back