American Amber Ale Hoppy American Amber or Malty American Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Denny\'s Favorite 50
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
5 gallons
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
16.7 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 64 degrees
Tasting Notes
Wonderful! It\'s a bit \"big\" for an amber ale, with nice bitterness. It\'s hoppy!
This started out to be a replica of Jamil's Red Rocket Amber clone. But, I made a few changes like adding the golden naked oats, and reducing the basemalt. I wanted a malty rich mouthfeel, to balance out the hops, so I used Wyeast special release, Denny's Favorite 50. That worked! It's a malty, rich, hoppy beer. It's either a hoppy and slightly higher OG American amber, or it's a too-dark malty American pale ale. In short, it's my husband's new favorite beer! We were looking for a balanced APA, with plenty of hops but with a nice creamy and slightly sweet finish like an amber. As Bob just described it- "the perfect beer".

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 73.38 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.34 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 7.34 %
8.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 3.67 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 3.67 %
8.0 oz Golden Naked Oats (6.0 SRM) Grain 3.67 %
2.0 oz Chocolate malt (pale) (200.0 SRM) Grain 0.93 %

1.00 oz Magnum [13.40 %] (60 min) Hops 38.2 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (10 min) Hops 11.0 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [8.00 %] (10 min) Hops 9.2 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [8.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.05 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

1 Pkgs Denny's Favorite (Wyeast Labs #1450PC) [with a starter]

60 minute mash at 152. Boil for 60 minutes. Ferment cool (64-66 degrees).

The water profile was a high carbonate water. My tap water was mixed 50/50 with RO water, so the water profile is like this:

Ca Mg Na SO4 Cl HCO3
29 13 4.5 7.5 7 114

I didn't add any salts- I thought about gypsum, but my records don't show any additions. :confused:

Anyway, this beer is terrific!

View attachment HouseAAA.bsm

As Bob just described it- "the perfect beer".

Way to go, Yooper! Currying favor with the significant other is always a good thing - now is the time to make a "special request" of him. You'll have to decide if it involves the brewstand you're thinking about, bling, or handcuffs.

:mug:

Dang Yoop, I just ordered your American Pale Ale recipe off of Brewmeisters and now I see this. Oh well, looks like I just found #3 on my list of beers to brew. Thanks!

Dang Yoop, I just ordered your American Pale Ale recipe off of Brewmeisters and now I see this. Oh well, looks like I just found #3 on my list of beers to brew. Thanks!

Oh, thanks for reminding me! Next time I order from Brewmaster's Warehouse, I have to add this recipe. We already have a house pale ale, but I think this is the cottage amber. I need another house to have another house beer!

I can't find Denny's Favorite on any of the mail order sites. Any ideas for an alternative?

Hmmm. I like the "malty" flavor it brings out, but if it's not available I'd probably just use a clean well attenuating ale yeast like WLP001 or Wyeast 1056. I think an English strain would bring in some esters that would be out of place.

Hmmm. I like the "malty" flavor it brings out, but if it's not available I'd probably just use a clean well attenuating ale yeast like WLP001 or Wyeast 1056. I think an English strain would bring in some esters that would be out of place.

I have some banked Pacman yeast that I might try. Either that or WLP001 like you suggested. I'm going keep looking for the Denny's.

Ok, where'd ya find the golden naked oats? Someone had to ask... :)

Northern Brewer! It was an impulse buy, based on their description:
10° L. This unique product has a sweet berry-nut flavor. Used at a rate of 4-15% to add a deep golden hue, light caramel flavors, and a creamy, satiny finish

I have some banked Pacman yeast that I might try. Either that or WLP001 like you suggested. I'm going keep looking for the Denny's.

I think I got the Denny's favorite from Brewmaster's Warehouse, but it's a special release from this fall, so when it's gone, it's gone. I washed the yeast cake, and have used it again in an Irish beer, and it's great! I wish I did slants, so I could save it and freeze it.

yooper, did you ever get it put into the brewmasters warehouse database? Just want to know if there is an easy easy to click and buy, or if i need to make the time to enter the numbers.

It's there in the Brewmaster's Warehouse recipe database. I bought it & brewed it. It's a hit. Quick & easy way to have your friends say "that's damn good beer!".

any chance you could tip me off to what it's called? Ed's search doesn't register yooper or broken leg. I couldn't find it under the american ale category, at least not right off, or it's called something different than i was looking for.

I must be confused somehow. I was asking if her hoppy amber red rocket whatever this beer is got put into the BMW recipe database. Not her fizzy yellow beer.

Sorry if i wasn't clear.

The confusion was all mine. Yikes!

yooper, did you ever get it put into the brewmasters warehouse database? Just want to know if there is an easy easy to click and buy, or if i need to make the time to enter the numbers.

No, I never did. I will have to do that, the next time I order from there. I'm going to be making this again in the next couple of weeks, but I have everything except the oats right now.

Sorry to revive this thread, but is there any chance you could post the recipe in Beersmith (.bsm) format? I just listened to Jamil's amber ale show from the archive and really want to put yours in my lineup.

Well, while I was posting that BSM file, I got a hankering for this recipe myself. I'm going to brew tomorrow! I just made my starter, and will make this tomorrow about noon. Thanks for reminding me how much I loved this beer!

I finally have the stuff together for this one, Yoop, can I use pacman on this ya think? Or just use SA05 instead? Those are my choices.. well also 1056 or 1968 but ? Can't find Denny's...

Thanks!

:cross:

Sure! That will work just fine. I have to tell you, though, that I grabbed a saved vial of Denny's for this- it really is awesome! Sure, the well-attenuating American ale yeast strains will work well. But this beer is so balanced, even with 5 ounces of hops, that the Denny's strain works even better!

After you asked for the BSM file, I ran and made a starter using the Denny's Favorite strain. I brewed this today, and drank the hydrometer sample. lschiavo stopped over, and drank the dregs of the sample (complete with a piece of cascade leaf hop) and agreed it was good! This baby is GOOD!

I was just at the nat. craftbrew expo in chicago and there were many families of hop growers there. This wonderfully nice lady from Hops union (I think it was) gave me 3# of hops and cascade and centennial were two of them of em' (I think warrior was the 3rd - I was a afraid to take them on the plane so I UPS'd them home - was afraid the TSA would ask me for the appropriate papers :) - er, they are hops... right... )) So anyhow I'll be at least partially fresh hop wise here. Is the eff. in the bsm file the real eff you reached and are the OG/FG, mash sched, and carb all actual? (I ask cause some people leave all that to default)

Thanks, psyched to brew this!

Now I'm finding Denny's fav all over the place, duh... I'm going to go for that, it should get here by the weekend :)

Yes, that BSM file is from the batch I brewed in October. I don't know why my efficiency was so low, but it turned out so well that I wanted to hit that OG again yesterday! Those were my mash temperatures, and the notes were from that brewday as well, concerning water and recipe changes.

Brewed this morning, smells and looks wonderful!! Er, I left it at 66% and I overshot the OG, landed at 1.066 - oh well, next time I'll scale the grain down for about 74% eff...

It is to bed at 65F with a 1.5l Liter starter of Denny's fav... I'll report back in about 2 mos. :)

Brewed this today. I didn't have a chance to shop so I had to make a few substitutions but I ended up at an OG of 1.065 after backing off the Two Row a pound.

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 71.29 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.92 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 7.92 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 3.96 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3.96 %
6.0 oz Special Roast (50.0 SRM) Grain 2.95 %
2.0 oz Chocolate malt (pale) (200.0 SRM) Grain 1.01 %
2.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 0.99 %
0.60 oz Magnum [14.40 %] (60 min) Hops 23.4 IBU
0.25 oz Northern Brewer [8.80 %] (60 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.20 %] (60 min) Hops 10.8 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.10 %] (10 min) Hops 9.9 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [7.20 %] (10 min) Hops 7.9 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [7.20 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Centennial [9.10 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.28 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.10 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafBrew Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 4/27/2010

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Pat
Boil Size: 6.72 gal
Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: Pat's Brewery
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00

10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Naked Oats (6.0 SRM)
0.13 lb Chocolate Malt (475.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (10 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (0 min)
1 Pkgs Denny's Favorite (Wyeast #1450)
1 Whirlfloc Tabled last 20 min of boil
1 tsp 5.2 Ph stabilizer in mash
1 tsp Burtons Water salts into boiling water

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.074 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.021 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.88 %
Bitterness: 59.8 IBU
Est Color: 19.1 SRM

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13.63 lb
Sparge Water: 3.93 gal
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE
Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
60 min
Mash In
Add 17.72 qt of water at 163.2 F
152.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2)
Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 13.7 PSI
Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 45.0 F
Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Notes

Thanks Yooper. Mine is just finishing fermenting. Gunna let her rest another few days then transfer to BB and cold crash in keezer for a week, then move to keg on gas.

I want to save some of this yeast though so I guess I'll have to revisit yeast washing or gte into slants..man that looks complicated but I enjoy the challnges.

Thanks again.

Let me know what you think! I love this beer. I have some washed and saved Denny's, and I have an IPA fermenting on it now. So far, I've done an Irish draught, APA, IPA, stout, and amber with that yeast and I love it more and more.

I'm bottling this weekend, psyched to git er done and try one. Wow, I wonder how Denny's would do on my stouts? Been using 1084 and it seems to do a good job although my finishes have varied between 1012-1018 on the same recipe. I didn't notice that much difference in taste... wouldn't Denny's tend towards the higher finish? Maybe it would work better on a bigger stout 1.060ish and up range than a 1.042 one. How big is/are the stouts you use Dennys on?

I'm bottling this weekend, psyched to git er done and try one. Wow, I wonder how Denny's would do on my stouts? Been using 1084 and it seems to do a good job although my finishes have varied between 1012-1018 on the same recipe. I didn't notice that much difference in taste... wouldn't Denny's tend towards the higher finish? Maybe it would work better on a bigger stout 1.060ish and up range than a 1.042 one. How big is/are the stouts you use Dennys on?

I did a low OG oatmeal stout, and a mid-range OG oatmeal stout. Same recipe, but better efficiency on the latter! My low OG stout went from 1.040 to 1.010, but the higher OG stout went from 1.058 to 1.014-1.016ish I believe (my memory is failing a bit......and my notes suck on that batch!). The fermentation temperatures were very cool- like 62-63 degrees for both.

I just pitched yeasties on this recipe. Really looking forward to reporting back on this in a couple months.

Cheers!

OK just got done bottling. It tastes very promising indeed. SWMBO loves it as is, but I'm going to make her wait a few weeks now.

I brewed this up using Jamil's Evil Twin hopping schedule. Similar to Yooper's but Amarillo subbed for Cascade, and Magnum 60 min addition --> Amarillo/Centennial 20 min addition. Followed your grain bill to a T. I think the naked oats are key. Mashed a bit higher at 154 and pitched S-05. I thought this beer was delicious, so I entered it into competition as an American Amber, where it took Silver out of 27 American Ale entries. Thanks Yoop!

Back