Hoppy Wheat Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

checkii

Reaction score
So I wanted to make a hoppy summer wheat beer. Any input?

2 Gallon batch
-------------------------
3.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract
0.20 lb Honey Malt (steep at 155)
0.25 lb Honey (Flame Out)
-------------------------
0.40 oz Nugget (60 min)
1.00 oz Glacier (15 min)
0.75 oz Glacier (5 min)
0.50 oz Glacier (Flame Out)
0.75 oz Glacier (Dry Hop 7 days)
---------------------------------
1 Pkgs SafAle-05 (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

70.1 IBU
7.0 % ABV

Dude its going to be out of balance and a bit weird. Go for it but that is a bunch of hops seeing that a hoppy wheat may have around 35 IBU's

Dude its going to be out of balance and a bit weird. Go for it but that is a bunch of hops seeing that a hoppy wheat may have around 35 IBU's
I was thinking along the lines of the lagunitas little sumpin. How many IBUs is gumballhead?

If I drop the IBUs do you think I should drop ABV as well?

If it's 7%, it can hold more IBUs. 7% with 35 IBUs isn't really hoppy. I think most hoppy summer beers (such as Southern Tier Hop Sun) are lower OG and lower IBU. Either drop the OG and brew a hoppy summer beer, or stick with what you have, more or less, and bew something like a wheat IPA

If it's 7%, it can hold more IBUs. 7% with 35 IBUs isn't really hoppy. I think most hoppy summer beers (such as Southern Tier Hop Sun) are lower OG and lower IBU. Either drop the OG and brew a hoppy summer beer, or stick with what you have, more or less, and bew something like a wheat IPA

that was the feeling I was getting. I havent seen many hoppy wheats here other than the lagunitas Lil Sumpin, so i dont have much to base the recipe off of. How does this look?

2 Gallon Batch
-----------------
2.25 lb Wheat Dry Extract
0.30 lb Honey Malt
0.25 lb Honey
-------------------------------------------------
0.25 oz Glacier (60 min) 12.7 IBU
0.75 oz Glacier (15 min) 18.9 IBU
0.25 oz Glacier (10 min) 4.6 IBU
0.75 oz Glacier (5 min) 7.6 IBU
1.00 oz Glacier (Dry Hop 7 days)
--------------------------------------------------
1 Pkgs SafAle-05 (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale
--------------------------------------------------
Bitterness: 43.7 IBU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.4 %

I seem to recall the goose island brew pub serving up a wheat - Mid West Coast Wheat i believe was the name - that was about 65 IBUs. Granted that was months ago, so who knows with my memory. Damn tasty beer too. Look forward to hearing how this one turns out.

Back