Rant: How Bureaucrats Suck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Iowa Work Force Development is full of a bunch of ****** bags.

I got laid off on 12/1/08 I filed for unemployment on 12/2/08 (with the online method). I got a letter with a notice saying my benefits were approved with a said dollar figure per week. It also states I don't need to file for benefits that following week.

10 days later my wife delivers a baby. My son spends 7 days in the hospital since he couldn't breathe.

When I get home I with the kid I start looking for jobs and file for the weeks benefits. Did so Via the web. It won't let me file a claim, so I go down to the state office and ask why. (Sometime after 12/17/08 but before 12/25/08) I also had the mind to add a dependent at this time. Well, they tell me I was denied because of a severance pay that I received. Then they tell me to come back in March to refile.

So, I did just that. This time it was on the spot, in the office. I told them I want to add a dependent.

The say no you can't. You filed on 12/2/08 which means you had to amend your filing by 12/12/08.

I tell them that's the day my son was born. You mean to file the paper work I'd have to leave the hospital and head down to your office to amend it once he was born. They said "YES". I said ok I want to decline my benefits and cancel everything. They said you can put in a request for this, but keep filing weekly claims. Well 10 days later it was declined for cancellation. The thought that I would refile and add my son as a dependent.

I just got back from the appeal hearing (for the decline of cancellation) about and hour ago. This just has me fuming....

I'm gonna fight those SOBs for a measly extra $14/week. Fricken baby formula costs more than that for a week, this doesn't count diapers.

It aggravates me to such a degree that they have to stick to administrate rules without thinking about common sense.

The 10 day amend period is for disputing claim amounts, not for making filing changes.

Their own documents say you can file with a dependent if you file for a deduction in taxes for that year. No limits for when it has to be done.

Arrggghhh - I am so farking pissssed!!!!!!!!!!!!

The other part of this is my wife delivered 3 weeks early. So regardless I would have never been able to add a dependent. No matter what!!!!

#$%^%&( :mad:

I hear you. When I moved to Oregon I replaced my resistive furnace with the best heatpump on the market. I filed for the state rebate. No go, the pump was not on their list. Mind you, I had this installed by a state-approved vendor. Why wasn't the pump on the list? Too new.

Applied after they updated the list. Too late to qualify. Out $2500.

Of everything you have done this has the highest chance of actually producing some results. A shame....

The unfortunate thing this was back in March. W/O naming senatorial party affiliation one said we can't do any thing the other told me to file a waiver request. They quoted an administrative code to use.

I'm gonna try this next. (I think this might work if I play their BS game)

The governors office said they would fix this, but they haven't called back yet, just got emails.

TV stations have been pretty mum. They agreed, but I hear the violin playing in the background...

I'm planning to call a reporter for the local paper next.

It doesn't make it right, but the "d-bags" have no choice but to follow the letter of the law.
Blame the politicians that wrote and re-wrote the laws and the courts that interpret them.

It doesn't make it right, but the "d-bags" have no choice but to follow the letter of the law.
Blame the politicians that wrote and re-wrote the laws and the courts that interpret them.

The 10 day period for arbitrating the amount. It has nothing to do with amending benefits.

What if my son died, or turned 18, and I was getting benefits for him?

Would they correct the benefit amount. They damn sure they would!!

That sucks. It's amazing the hoops you have to jump through just to get compensation that you've already earned.
On a side note, they're trying to eliminate UE for construction workers in Indiana. ONLY construction workers.

The employer pays Unemployment ins not the worker..

Schlenkerla keep fighting it they will decline several times .

yes true it might be a tax we do not pay directly but if you buy something from someone who has employees you are paying that tax. it all rolls down hill. the employer is going to try and recoup the cost of taxes.

The whole thing with UE Benefit is that is supposed to help those out of work. If your wife has a child while you are unemployed, your living expenses go up. They have the benefit there for this specific purpose.

Why would they not add the dependent? Instead they would rather argue about this stupid 10 day period while I was declined benefits.

Once I was granted the benefit they should have added the dependent. But no they'd rather argue about a simple f'n change.

If I had filed for unemployement after my wife had the baby I'd get to add the dependent.

This is just dumb.

I can't help with your current problem, but your child was born in 2008, did you claim him on last year's taxes. Not only as a dependant, but you can also claim the Child Tax Credit of $1,000 (or at least should be able to due to income restrictions). I file my own taxes, but never filed the claime the CTC until this year (although I've amended for the previous two years).

It's a credit, so its dollar-for-dollar--1,000 bones will buy a lot of formula.

I can't help with your current problem, but your child was born in 2008, did you claim him on last year's taxes. Not only as a dependant, but you can also claim the Child Tax Credit of $1,000 (or at least should be able to due to income restrictions). I file my own taxes, but never filed the claime the CTC until this year (although I've amended for the previous two years).

It's a credit, so its dollar-for-dollar--1,000 bones will buy a lot of formula.

We filed our taxes with that credit and its made a big difference in the return.

Guess What?

I got a call from Iowa Workforce Development. They called to ask my son's name so they could add a dependent.
[Me Snickering, son grunting] :D

I wonder who convinced them to change their mind???

Its about time I got a break! :rockin:

Maybe it was this thread. :D Good work, glad your persistence paid off.

You know whats funny, I was kinda thinking, what if somebody I spoke to saw this?

The other day I called a reporter for the Des Moines register. I asked him if I was being ridiculous about this whole thing. He said no.

Maybe he called somebody in the IWD office asking questions. Sooner or later somebody high up doesn't want to be reading about this to be in the papers.

When I went to the hearing the other day I name dropped the governor's office and the Iowa Senator who was giving me advice. The judge at the hearing is not a law judge, they work for the IWD. This has a strong possibility. I was able to quote the administrative procedural code (That allows exceptions) in the hearing so I think this person knew this wouldn't go away without them getting a black-eye out of this.

I'm glad its corrected. I think the average person would not bother to fight them. That is too bad. :(

Nothing like losing your job and getting kicked in the shins over something you are entitled to.

Hope it all works out, Buddy. :)

Latest posts

Back