Cyser - How much fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russb123

Reaction score
I have a 6 gallon batch of Cyser going and want to rack off 2 of the gallons into 1 gallon jugs when primary is done and add some berries.

I will have 2, 1 gallon jugs and a 5 gallon carboy for secondaries.

Considering any fruit will displace part of the gallon of cyser, what would be a good amount of either blueberries or raspberries to add for a 1 gallon batch?

How long can you leave the cyser on the berries?

Do you add the berries whole or mash/blend?

Will there be any concerns with 1 gallon of headspace in my carboy for the other 4 gallons? (not sure if oxygen is as much of a concern with ciders as it is with beer).

Yes headspace is a concern. Either use a smaller carboy, or top off with more juice or a similar wine etc.

What is your recipe so far, not sure what to suggest exactly till we know where you are now. But I would suggest between 2 and 3 lbs of berries per gallon. But you can adjust that depending on what you are going for.

From a previous post of mine:

6 Gallons Sam's CLub Apple Juice
5 1/2 lbs - Honey
Activator pack of Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen

I used a blender to disolve the honey into the apple juice and then added to my primary.

Fermentation took off almost instantly and is still happily bubbling away.

The yeast I used has a ABV tolerance of 10%

Well it depends on how strongly you want the fruit to come through, but with that recipe I think I would suggest 1-2lbs per gallon. Any more and you will begin to overpower the apple and honey flavors.

I think I would even suggest adding the fruit in your secondary as planned, and then when you rack off the berries, since there will be losses as you pointed out, I would top off with more apple juice.

Back