Northern Brewer Kit Recipes Free?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
I really like Northern Brewer, but doesn't anyone think it's odd that they list the exact ingredients in their kits? I guess it's probably not much more money to buy the kit, but doesn't it kinda defeat the purpose of buying THEIR version?

FWIW, I just did their Honey Brown Ale. I looked at the recipe and then went to my LHBS and bought the ingredients.

Austinhomebrew also lists out the ingredients and I think you basically pay the same as if you ordered them separately. It's a great way to draw in business from brewers who would like to brew a tried and true recipe, then if they like it or would like to tweak it, they know what was in it and can go from there.

Good point. I did have to change a few things about the recipe; namely the hops. It called for Northdown (they didn't have it), and my LHBS owner said to use Northern Brewer instead. Shouldn't be too different, but had I ordered the kit, I would have gotten the exact recipe.

Back