2-row diastatic power

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WortMonger

"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have wondered if using 2-row with a 20-25% max of rice would be doable???? Does 2-row have enough diastatic power to convert the rice given that the rice has been precooked and gelatinized. Beersmith shows the difference between 2-row and 6-row as 140 and 150. That is not that much difference seeing as how pilsner is 110. I am just wondering since I need to use up some 2-row, and I haven't ran into any recipes yet using only 2-row with adjuncts. I am making a closer to BMC style for some of my pickier friends that have said they tried a brewed beer they liked before, but they haven't liked any of mine so far. I like hoppy-big-beers, but have recently been given the equipment to start lagers (yea!!!!!).

Actual conversion power depends on the specific crop, your mash schedule, mixing techniques, and a host of other variables. On a whole, assuming basic homebrewing mash procedures and grain, you are ok.

Translation: RDWHAHB

According to Dave Miller's book ~20% is about the top end for two row, ~40% for 6 row, if you are really really good. He suggests more like 10% and 20% respectively for starters.

I have only tried it once, chillHayze sounds like he has done it several times. Try it!

EDIT:Went looking for Dave Millers Homebrewing book on Amazon, didn't find it. My local library has a copy. I think of Papazian as esential, but the Miller I am thinking of is one step up, how to actually do a beta-glucan rest rather than Charlie saying "relax and have a homebrew".

Poindexter said:
According to Dave Miller's book ~20% is about the top end for two row, ~40% for 6 row, if you are really really good. He suggests more like 10% and 20% respectively for starters.

I have only tried it once, chillHayze sounds like he has done it several times. Try it!

EDIT:Went looking for Dave Millers Homebrewing book on Amazon, didn't find it. My local library has a copy. I think of Papazian as esential, but the Miller I am thinking of is one step up, how to actually do a beta-glucan rest rather than Charlie saying "relax and have a homebrew".

Yes I have Millers book, it is very informative and has more actual data and facts. Not to dog on Charlie, RDWHAHB is still a VERY important part of it. If you dont have that aspect, you might as well work for Budweiser. :)

wortmonger: I just thought of something: If you are worried about conversion then try a longer mash (like 90) min, and/or get amylase enzyme to help with the mash.

:mug:

I am actually planning on a protein rest at 122 for 30 min and an infusion to get to 152 for 75 min. Then I was going to pull a thin (liquid-only) decoction after recirculating till clear, and boil it for 30 min adding it back to the mash for mash-out. So you think I need more like 90 min huh, might have to extend that saccharification rest a bit then. I am looking for as much attenuation as possible for this little 1.045 beer. I have a huge starter of WLP001 California yeast I plan to pitch at 65 for 3 weeks under pressure (old technique I just stumbled on and want to try after reading http://www.hbd.org/hbd/archive/3986.html#3986-3), then crash cool for a couple of days and counter pressure transfer to my serving keg to condition for 2 more weeks. That's the plan anyways. I wish I knew how to blend post ferment I could get an entire 1/2 bbl keg for my troubles of the extra long brew session. I mean it's not like they are going to notice watered down beer right???? LOL

I am doing this beer for two reasons, 1) my friends don't like any of the styles I brew but would love something tasteless like this, and 2) I have a 50# bag of rice I need to get rid of and I can only eat so much rice. :)

I was with you right up to the end of the 75 minute rest at 152°F.

Then I was lost until you got to looking for max attenuation on a 45 OG.

Whatever chillHayze sugegsts, try that. I expect it will be a learing experience with a drinkable final, so RDWHAHB.

Latest posts

Back