whats the best method for aeration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britton8323

Reaction score
I just been doing partial boils and shaking up the purified water jugs before pouring them (vigorously) into the carboy, then using a funnel/filter to pour in the wart. seems like it does the trick. anything im doing wrong or could be doing better? I also have been using an ice bath to cool the wort. while I do this if im careful, is it ok to use a ladel and lift some wort out and pour it back in the pot to aerate? I tried it once and there were TONS of bubbles. i wasnt sure if i should do it or not. :mug:

you can shake, you can use the venturi principle, you can use an aeration stone, etc... there's a bunch of ways to oxygenate the wort. a quick search will expose all kinds of threads on the subject, pros, cons, etc. you can pour the wort between two sanitized buckets, that seems to work well for people... bottom line is, if it's been working, keep doing it.

I use a stir stick. I think it's supposed to be for wine. It goes in the end of a drill, and you just stick it in the carboy and stir it up. No worry about dropping a carboy, or making a mess.

I shake my jugs (giggity) and stir well and splash my wort through a strainer. That seems to be plenty for me.

I stopped doing anything to aerate my wort for a long while, and only had problems with lagers and very cool fermented ales, even then it would just take an extra week or two to hit FG. So I guess its really just whatever :D

I use a stir stick. I think it's supposed to be for wine. It goes in the end of a drill, and you just stick it in the carboy and stir it up. No worry about dropping a carboy, or making a mess.

Same here, it is called a degasser, but you can really get some good aeration with one of these bad boys.

I shake my jugs (giggity) and stir well and splash my wort through a strainer. That seems to be plenty for me.

I do the same and never seem to have any issues. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have a reason to think you're doing something wrong - like consistently long lag times, poor attenuation and the like.

I normally just shake up the fermenter (I don't shake my jugs :) and let it go at that. I might consider buying one of those stir-sticks that hooks up to a 3/8" drill after I go buy a drill. I need a drill to turn my grain mill so I might find out soon how well or not the stir sticks work...

Back