Blichmann Boilermaker G2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trimixdiver1

Reaction score
http://www.blichmannengineering.com/products/boilermakerg2

Seems underwhelming at the most, liner flow valve….really???

All I see is 3 orings that will need to be replaced vice a ball valve that has a teflon seat that rarely needs replaced. Enhanced finish- yea we just took another step out of the production and still raised prices.

Personally I would rather have the G1 pot. Now your on the hook for replacement orings and they are charging 20 bucks more for a stainless pot that looks like aluminum...

Thanks Blichmann

:confused:

Parabolic_valve_disassembled_web.jpg

G2-20gal_web.jpg

Would have loved to see an Induction option... and/or Tri-Clover option.

I'm not really sure the benefit of the valve, other than looks easier to clean than a regular ball valve. Is it a larger internal diameter for greater flow capacity?
Don't like the look of the handle hangers that extend into the kettle.
Polished, meh..
Would like to see etched volume markings, a recirculation port, preferably tangential, and a tri ply bottom for durability and improved boil efficiency for those using gas. Tri clover option would be sexy, but I gotta admit, I prefer using QD connection on the hot side. So much easier to swap them without burning your hand compared to TC.
I totally understand the lack of an electric element port - because they are marketing their own electric solution, and a pretty damn sexy and innovative approach as well (despite the Negative Nancy comments in another thread), that seems plug and play literally.

Been looking for a new kettle, and nice to see that they made some innovations. I have been looking at spike, stout, and bru-gear. Very happy with my set of Blichmann kettles, just need a larger boil kettle for 90 minute full wort boils on ten gallon (finished volume) batches. The 15 gal size doesn't cut it for that job. I'll take a closer look at their website later tonight to see what else is improved.

TD

Oh one thing I do notice, is that the lid is different, and seems might be easier to achieve a sealed lid if you wanted to go Lonny Mac and ferment in one. That's sort of cool.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I think part of the increase must be due to increased US construction and increased use of US parts, for those that care about that issue.

As for the o-rings, I have used similar o-rings in my aluminum pots for years, and have not replaced them at all in the ones that I don't disassemble. I haven't found any need to disassemble most of the pots unless I'm playing with different configurations. Even if you want to take the valve apart to clean it, they last a LONG time, not a worry. Finally, you can probably order a 50 pack at McMaster Carr for a very reasonable price, so I wouldn't let that stop anyone if they are interested in the pot.

The thing about the pots that makes me mad is that the thermometer is so HIGH! Why do they put it so high? I don't see why it would ever be an advantage to have it so high, except for the fact that it is inline with the valve and so looks better. I like the Spike Brewing pot design where the welds are not inline so the ports can all be lower on the pot, allowing small or large volumes.

You have to admit it's kind of annoying to have to drill another hole right away in a $400+ pot though! I agree, it's easy to redo though. I guess most people are filling them at least half way, so it's usually ok.

The thermometer is high to avoid frying it from the heat of a gas burner.

As for the new design, from a purely aesthetics standpoint, I prefer the old design without silicone/nylon on the pot & lid handles and valve. From a manufacturing perspective the look appears "simplified" and probably costs them less (ie: not polishing the stainless should cost less).

I don't care for the valve either - from an HMI (human machine interface) standpoint the ergonomics doesn't work well as you have no idea how the valve is set by simply looking at it. A ball valve you only have to look at to know if it's open, closed, 50% open, etc. For this one you have no idea. That's (IMHO) dangerous.

Not sure how many turns to go from closed to open but it may be more work too if it's multi-turn. I only ever have mine all the way closed or all the way open (the pumps do the work and valves on the output of the pumps are used to control flow as you cannot control flow into the pump, only out). So first thing I'd do is swap out the specialized valves for standard full port ball valves like the old models. I don't like the proprietary nature of it either (I prefer non-proprietary over proprietary any day - I can replace parts easily without having to go back to the manufacturer for their specialized part).

Also don't like that I can't easily put a RTD or TC thermometer in line on the output sticking out front. It has to go to the side with a Tee. In other words, I can't do this orientation anymore:

IMG_5206.jpg

IMG_5215_2.jpg

My 2 cents!

Kal

Kal I never thought about the open/ shut indication. Good point. As for the o rings, yes the bulkhead o rings will last, but a silicone oring moved dynamically over and over will not last. But that's ok, just another $9.99 oring kit and your set.

Now what happens if you were piecing together a brew easy? Now you will have two different finishes.

Kal I never thought about the open/ shut indication. Good point. As for the o rings, yes the bulkhead o rings will last, but a silicone oring moved dynamically over and over will not last. But that's ok, just another $9.99 oring kit and your set.
Yup - I have no issues with the weldless method they use that uses an oring recessed in a grove. This method here from my 2008 Boilermaker manual:

Brewmometer.jpg

Most people don't even realize that everything on the kettle is done this way (both holes for the sight glass, the thermometer, and the ball valve). I use this method myself on all my fittings and it's never going to wear out/leak/need replacing. Like so:

IMG_1711_letters.jpg

IMG_1712_letters.jpg

There is absolutely no motion or movement at all.

Kal

Now what happens if you were piecing together a brew easy? Now you will have two different finishes.

Kal

I was talking about the new valve, it has 3 o rings, one that seals when shut another when fully open and one to control flow. I agree about the static bulkhead fittings.

not to mention with the valve opening on the bottom, if you wanted to have it on a table like kal or have a heat shield under it there is no way because by the time you get a QD on the end and the hose it will be below the bottom of the pot.

Interesting! Looks like they are 'spinning' the kettle and thus why it's not polished. The plastic handles with their logo looks pretty sweet. Same with their main logo. I don't know why they tried to go out and reinvent the wheel by changing the valve design. Personally I don't see any advantage. Glad they raised prices, makes our kettles look even more appealing ;)

Made in China, assembled in the USA...that's awesome..

Go back to your old blichmann logo, SS, and quality control.. Your products were worth buying until you changed the design on your logo.. And trust me I've spent thousands on your equipment, wouldn't think twice now spending it elsewhere.

I am really curious what kinda SS you use, cause that's just plain ugly. 5 years ago the SS on your burners was awesome to, what happened?

Like I said, I use to buy your stuff cause it was quality.. Now it just looks cheap and thrown together. Just my 2 cents...

I heard it has a silicone plug.

Sent from my iPhone using the sweet Home Brew app, cuz I'm a ****** and I need everyone to know that I have an iPhone as if everyone else in the world doesn't have one.

I've got blichmann gear back when I felt it was quality stuff. I have to say that this pot is hideous.

There is no way that pot was designed with the home brewer in mind. It was designed for "show" and revenue for parts needing to be replaced. It was not designed for function or longevity.

Could they possibly get more rubber/silicon on the thing? Why would anyone want to buy something that takes away all the sanitary and durability values of pure stainless steel and replace it with this?

If I'm paying those prices, I want the thing to last. That rubber will melt under intense heat of a propane burner. I've had the rubber handles on the ball valves melt before. Even if not, the handle grip will probably wear out over time. The valve rubber will too. That lid handle can easily bend. What if you put the lid down in the sink then accidentally put a full pot on top of the handle... It's not designed to withstand the cleaning regimen of a home brewer. But when it breaks, you're forking out a hefty bill to fix it.

I'm starting to think Blichmann has really loss their touch with what home brewers want. We're a community that is obsessed with stainless steel. We pay a premium for stainless steel products, but they're adding more and more silicon because it lowers their production cost. Well, it's not for me... I won't buy any of this junk.

They missed the mark. Wake up Blichmann. See what home brewers really want, and accommodate. Stop with the cheap methods. Or don't. There are plenty of other quality products out there that are built with the home brewer in mind, and they're built to last.

There is one good thing to come of this. It Looks like my older boilermaker pots have jumped up in value now...

Ah yes, the impossible to please HBT community :D

Made in China, assembled in the USA...that's awesome..

Their website says that the 30 gal and larger sizes are imported but assembled here. I assume this differentiation means that the sub-30 gal sizes are indeed spun and fully made here, that's a good thing right?

Could they possibly get more rubber/silicon on the thing? Why would anyone want to buy something that takes away all the sanitary and durability values of pure stainless steel and replace it with this?

Insanim8er is that you? :) Seriously though, this is just a silly comment, they have glass filled nylon on the three handles, and I assume silicone on the valve knob. You know, in the four places where you can burn the f*ck out of your hand if they are metal and hot and you touch them? I swear once a brew session I forget and grab a hot lid handle, and then it goes flying across the garage.

The only thing I don't really "get" based on the visuals and description is the new valve. However, being a reasonable human being I would welcome trying it out before going on and on about how it is such a terrible design.

I think the things that made the Boilermaker G1 worth it's original price are still there, the sight glass, stepped bottom, dip tube design. Depending on the verdict on the valve these are welcome changes. I happen to welcome companies that are constantly working to evaluate and improve their products and not happy with status quo. Of course this can be risky for the company as so many people are inherently opposed to change.

You know, in the four places where you can burn the f*ck out of your hand if they are metal and hot and you touch them? I swear once a brew session I forget and grab a hot lid handle, and then it goes flying across the garage.

I've had these older boilermakers for some time. I've never had any problems with hot metal. The only portion that I have to worry about is the ball valve when the propane burner is up really high (normally when it's windy outside) I can't imagine the pot handle getting hot enough to need rubber handles. The rubber on the lid handle is questionable too. :drunk:

I happen to welcome companies that are constantly working to evaluate and improve their products and not happy with status quo. Of course this can be risky for the company as so many people are inherently opposed to change.

I couldn't agree with you more. The problem is these changes aren't warranted. They're nothing more than aesthetic. Then there's the addition of a proprietary valve. And I share the same thoughts as Kal does about that.

I've seen a lot of people request modifications to these pots. I'm included. Why not add a tri clad bottom, or add the ability for induction like mentioned in this thread? Add better heat shields for the valves/site gauge (for those who use propane) Those would be welcomed changes.

It doesn't matter what I think even though I was looking to eventually upgrade to a larger kettle at some point. But this won't be it...

I've had these older boilermakers for some time. I've never had any problems with hot metal. The only portion that I have to worry about is the ball valve when the propane burner is up really high (normally when it's windy outside) I can't imagine the pot handle getting hot enough to need rubber handles. The rubber on the lid handle is questionable too. :drunk:

Well, consider yourself lucky, but it does happen, I am proof it and not ashamed to say I do it on a regular basis. Also, no one is going to convince me that they have the skill, expertise, and ability to design these products, yet are so clueless as to add features such as heat-shielded handles just because they feel it makes it more pretty. The only other explanation is that it costs less to produce, and I don't see that either. There is still stainless steel UNDER the nylon/silicone.

I couldn't agree with you more. The problem is these changes aren't warranted. They're nothing more than aesthetic. Then there's the addition of a proprietary valve. And I share the same thoughts as Kal does about that.

I've seen a lot of people request modifications to these pots. I'm included. Why not add a tri clad bottom, or add the ability for induction like mentioned in this thread? Add better heat shields for the valves/site gauge (for those who use propane) Those would be welcomed changes.

It doesn't matter what I think even though I was looking to eventually upgrade to a larger kettle at some point. But this won't be it...

Well you do make some good points, but I think we can just agree to disagree.

Burn prevention handles are functional, not aesthetic. Look around at most products that deal with a base material of metal and require heat applied as part of the functionality, you will see the same. I think it's an improvement.

The jury is still out on the valve, but the fact that in a quick 1-2 turns I can have the valve completely disassembled, wide open, and easily cleanable, is intriguing to me. I will reserve judgment until I get my hands on one or see more reviews from early adopters. I do like that they are trying to bring innovation to something as simple as a valve, maybe we could all have an open mind.

The fact that they are claiming (remains to be confirmed) that they have brought more production work back to the US with the sub 30-gal pots is awesome. I applaud the effort and have no personal preference of the polished finish over the brushed finish. If I had a choice between a polished Chinese made pot and a brushed finish US made pot, it would be an easy choice for me.

Even more interesting are the features that you think would be valuable, I think this points out the many differences in opinion and priorities amongst home brewers, as I would not to pay extra $$$ for any one of them.

Based on experience and other studies, I believe the tri-clad bottom in our application (key point there) is a gimmick, and not worth the extra cost in production. Its primary use is for the cooking industry where you need better heat distribution for thick liquids such as sauces where there is not the natural convection process we have with wort. Induction support is interesting, I know that I personally have no use for it, but I also don't understand the requirements for adding this functionality. I would actually welcome a better design for the heat shields, however, I have been using the existing ones for years with really no major issues at all, so would not really want to pay extra for a better version.

"Improvements" do not look like improvements to me

Also looks like it I can't buy the Older model now at AIH

Just another reason to spend my money somewhere else

- Does anyone remember New Coke ?

just my 2 cents

Why not add a tri clad bottom...
No benefit for homebrewing. Wort is not thick like spaghetti sauce - it keeps moving around by itself during boiling. This is why they never had a thick bottom (because there's zero benefit). It just makes the kettle heavier for no reason. This is one of the downsides of using a pot that was originally intended to be used for anything (soups, sauces, etc). Edit: I see Markd27 covered this too...

Burn prevention handles are functional, not aesthetic. Look around at most products that deal with a base material of metal and require heat applied as part of the functionality, you will see the same. I think it's an improvement.
True, but my concern is that it (probably?) takes away from the resiliency/ruggedness of the handle. Take a look in any commercial kitchen: All the lids on the pots are 100% metal, usually one thick piece of rod bent and welded on. If there was a resilient way to make them to be heat proof I'm sure they would. It may also have to do with the NSF rating too (one piece handles are less likely to harbour nasties - not so much a concern for us as we're using them for the hot side of the brewing.

Years ago I stopped buying cheap home grade kitchen stuff and moved to commercial NSF rated and they're all exactly like this - all metal. Like so:
150648.jpg

Yes, you can burn your hand on them, but a chef learns to use a towel or similar all the time.

(As an interesting aside, they always sell the lids separately from the pots when you buy commercial as you don't need a 1:1 pot to lid ratio, and the way they make commercial pots is that they only come in a few small range of diameters [14", 13", 10" usually]. Because of this we have 3-4 pots we bought but only 1-2 lids which saves money. Not only does it stop you from hunting around which lid goes with which pot, you save money. Smart!

The fact that they are claiming (remains to be confirmed) that they have brought more production work back to the US with the sub 30-gal pots is awesome.
+1 to that.

Kal

I must add my input as a loyal Blichmann customer who doesn't care for this pot. Is the original discontinued? I have 2 of the 3 tiers of my system, and was expecting to eventually save up for a matching HLT / burner. I don't like the valve, I love my current valves, why the change? The handles look like they'd get scuffed over time, I suppose that's an expensive replacement part they offer. Who wants their lid handle inside their kettle?!

I have always liked the design of the Blich sight glass, I don't think anyone has anything even close. I hope I can get a 15G "old style" maybe I should get one ASAP? Thoughts?

In the vernacular: I think we're fooked.

Damn. I've been planning on adding a triplet of 20g Blichmanns to the brewery and save my 10g kettles for small batches, but this new kettle design is a total turn-off. I'll have to reserve final opinion on the finish until I see one up close, but I really like the polished finish of my old kettles. And the composite handles leave me cold - I've never done anything so stupid as to grab a hot kettle handle or lid in 10+ years of brewing. And who the heck wants an analog valve, fer chrissakes! It's a binary world, gimme On and Off, I'll make things work at my pump outlet valve.

Sheesh.

Where's that Stout catalog?

Cheers!

I hope I can get a 15G "old style" maybe I should get one ASAP? Thoughts?

I would act fast, seems like they're getting scarce. I wanted another 20G "old style" and tried MoreBeer and Northern Brewer, neither could get one. Great Fermentations had 2 available in their warehouse and I ordered one immediately.

I had emailed Blichmann and they seemed to indicate some should still be around but the retailers were saying the opposite.

Damn! I was just $300 short of having the necessary cash to buy three (3) 20 gallon brew pots to add to the pile of pieces I need to setup my eBrewery. I don't like to looks of this new pot. Rubberized handles, thin and one sided lid handle, silly proprietary valve. Looks like some cheap, oversized Calphalon stock pot you could get at Kohls. American made (if that's true) is a big plus to me. However this seems to lack the fit and finish of a true, made with pride in America, product. Now I have to weigh my options again. Stout is Chinese, am I correct on this?

I sell this stuff, we have one 15g g1 pot in our chain. The only source of the gen 1 pots is what's left on blichmann shelves and the shelves of LHBS. Larger online retailers don't stock blichmann. They drop ship, so they place an order with blichmann when you place an order from them and blichmann sends the pot.

I like the older ones too, I wish they would offer both generations side by side for say a year then discontinue the gen 1 pots.

Damn! I was just $300 short of having the necessary cash to buy three (3) 20 gallon brew pots to add to the pile of pieces I need to setup my eBrewery. I don't like to looks of this new pot. Rubberized handles, thin and one sided lid handle, silly proprietary valve. Looks like some cheap, oversized Calphalon stock pot you could get at Kohls. American made (if that's true) is a big plus to me. However this seems to lack the fit and finish of a true, made with pride in America, product. Now I have to weigh my options again. Stout is Chinese, am I correct on this?

Yes stout is Chinese, but so is blichmann for the most part

For anyone that is interested, I have 2 15 and 1 10 gallon G1 Boilermakers that are in great condition, and I'm willing to trade at least one of them for a G2 pot of the same size, straight up. :D

For anyone that is interested, I have 2 15 and 1 10 gallon G1 Boilermakers that are in great condition, and I'm willing to trade at least one of them for a G2 pot of the same size, straight up. :D

You are a special one huh?

Who would go out and buy a pot that costs more and trade it for a used kettle?

Wow!!

:pipe:

Actually, rubber on the lid handle would be marginally useful for me. I brew outside, and in the Louisiana summer, the lid handle will get up well over 100F even just sitting out in the sunlight. On the HLT I leave the lid on, so it does get too hot to touch (for example, if I need to add acid for the sparge water).

I'm not that enthused about the new valve design. I was originally considering putting together a BrewEasy with my existing HLT, but with the new design, I think I'm just going to figure out a way to reuse my existing setup to make it work.

All -

For starters, I just want everyone to know that I work for a retailer (Great Fermentations), and we are selling the G2 pot….so I’m obviously a bit biased on this topic. Just want to throw that out first, so no one thinks I’m trying to mask my intentions! With that being said, I’ve been watching this thread for the past couple days, and thought it was time to give John B a call. The idea was to get answers for some of the questions/concerns that have been raised on this thread. We have a very good relationship with John and all the other guys at Blichmann, and I KNOW that they look at every part on their product to make sure that it has a specific purpose for the user. Yes, I’m sure there are design decisions that sometimes have a cost element involved, but at the end of the day John cares most about making a top quality product. Period. Anyways, here is an overview of the answers I got:

A lot of the questions and concerns seem to be centered around the new linear flow valve, which is admittedly not the best name :) Blichmann developed the new valve to help with cleaning, provide an easy means to set the flow rate, and have an outlet that reduces hose kinking and eliminates additional needed elbows and nipples.

• The valve takes about 5 seconds to disassemble (much easier than the 3-piece) and requires no tools.
  • It is easy to visually tell if the valve is open or closed (see the attached pics).
  • The shape of the stem makes the flow increase evenly as it is opened (1/4 open is 1/4 of the max flow) and this allows you to more precisely set your flow easily and repeatable. I understand a lot of people just open their ball valves 100% percent and let downstream valves handle flow control, but there are some people that can benefit from the more precise control at the source. If you don’t need it, open it all the way. The outlet is 1/2 in. NPT, and has a lifetime warranty so being custom built for this purpose should not present any problems.
  • The 90 degree outlet reduces hose kinking and you can easily orient the outlet in any direction (up, down, left, right, and anywhere in between).
  • The material of the valve grip and internal seals are silicone which has a temp rating similar to Teflon (about 550F), so the grip won’t melt like typical vinyl grips on ball valves, nor will the internal seals melt.

Now onto the new grips. They were added (to the lid and the kettle) to make it more comfortable to hold and to prevent burns. If you haven’t been burned before on a pot without the grips, I applaud you. Some people have though. The material is capable of handling temperatures up to 400F. It’s also extremely durable and is the same type of material used for many gun stocks and power tools. You will tear a hole in the pot (for those like me that lift the pot when its full like we’re not supposed to) before that handle comes off. That all aside, the structure is still stainless steel. So you get the benefit of the G1 with the added bonus of a durable cool to the touch handle. Win win. I understand that the open style of the lid handle is a bit different, but the idea was that it gives you the ability to hang it in multiple places in your brewery, and not just on the pot (but it still can be hung on the pot!). I know multiple times I’ve bumped the old lid while it was hanging from my BoilerMaker and clanged to the ground; the L-shaped design will definitely provide a better and more secure resting place.

Now for the manufacturing! The 7.5-20 gal kettles are made in the USA out of US made 304L stainless steel. They are deep drawn out of a single sheet. They are not spun or welded. The 30 gal and larger pots are imported and are welded due to their size. However, all kettles are fully assembled in the USA in their facility in Lafayette, IN. I will also add that the product has a lifetime warranty so they are really standing behind it. The finish was changed to the brush style to help hide fingerprints and water stains, so it will stay looking awesome for a long time. The inside is still the super silky satin finish that is easy to clean. The different finish is probably the piece that threw me off the most, and will be a challenge for those that want their equipment to look the same, but it is what it is. Still a great pot. If you are on the fence about it, stop by your LHBS and take a look at it in person once they come in and you might have a different opinion!

The thermometer was lowered by about an inch from the G1 version.

At the end of the day you get a US made product, a valve that is simple to clean, easy to use, an outlet that can be oriented in any direction, and grips that are very comfortable to use. Also the cost only went up by about 6%, and for a pot that is manufactured in the USA, that is great.

I really hope this answers some of the questions and/or dispels some of the concerns that have come up. I’m not expecting to win all of you over; I simply want to lay out the facts from the source, and help aide in a meaningful conversation about the advantages and disadvantages of a new product. If you have any questions please let me know or contact Blichmann Engineering on their web page and they can address any other concerns you have.

Cheers!
Bryan

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

Thanks for posting the info from John.

My 2 cents:

Blichmann developed the new valve to help with cleaning... The valve takes about 5 seconds to disassemble (much easier than the 3-piece) and requires no tools.
FWIW, I've had my original boilermaker's since 2008 and have never taken the 3-piece valves apart for cleaning. There's no need to (or advantage) since like everyone else, my 3 kettles are on the hot side of the brewing process. About once a year I recirc hot oxiclean to clean all. Good enough. Yes, some "stuff" may be in some of the crevices of the ball valve, but again, who cares? It's harmless. If this was a cold fermentation side of the brewing process I'd care.

... eliminates additional needed elbows and nipples.
Only if you want to exit sideways. If you use a Tee on the output to include an NPT thermometer like I do, then you may need an elbow. I also find it much easier to hook up a hose with a QD straight on with the QD hanging out beyond the edge of the table as it gives you a spot to hold a small bowl to catch drips. You can't do that now. It's actually as if they don't expect people to use the new kettles with a table at all and only with their burners and their 3-tier setup.

[*]It is easy to visually tell if the valve is open or closed (see the attached pics).
IMHO no where near as easy a ball valve. This new valves needs you to look at it from the side and know what it means since it's proprietary. A ball valve you can look at and know if it's 25% open, 50% open, or 100% open because they're standard positions from 0 to 90 degrees. Very easy to tell. On this thing, who knows. you can know is "I think it's open, but not sure if it's 10%, or 100%" unless you get out and measure the difference between a full open one and the one you're wondering about. Over time you'll probably get good at it but it's not as immediately obvious as a ball valve. A ball valve has that nice 90 degree sweep from closed to open so it's immediately obvious.

[*]I understand a lot of people just open their ball valves 100% percent and let downstream valves handle flow control, but there are some people that can benefit from the more precise control at the source.[/quote]
True. This would only be people that gravity drain. Anyone with a single tier setup has to use pumps so feature is of no value to them. I find it hard to believe that many people are buying what many consider expensive Blichmann kettles and then balking at the price of a pump and instead killing their backs or climbing up ladders to unsafely dump 20+ lbs of grain into a kettle high up in the air.

The outlet is 1/2 in. NPT, and has a lifetime warranty so being custom built for this purpose should not present any problems.
Only useful if (a) Blichmann is still in business, and (b) is still making the valve, and possibly (c) you may need to make sure you don't lose your original receipt. Not sure how the warranty works, but if you're required to go through the store you bought from that would pose a problem too as LHBS's come and go.

So again IMHO of course, but I don't see how this is anywhere as good as using truly common standards and non-proprietary parts like a standard ball valve. When I put together my setup I didn't want to assume or hope that any given company would be around 20 years from now. I wanted a system for life and intend on brewing for another 20-30+ years and didn't want to have to worry any companies still being around.

The 90 degree outlet reduces hose kinking and you can easily orient the outlet in any direction (up, down, left, right, and anywhere in between).
People must be using junky hoses. ;) I go out the front with everything and have never had issues with kinking:

IMG_7155.jpg

IMG_7339.jpg

I understand that the open style of the lid handle is a bit different, but the idea was that it gives you the ability to hang it in multiple places in your brewery, and not just on the pot (but it still can be hung on the pot!).
I would argue that the old version is easier to hang in different places in your brewery. All you needed was a hook, a nail, or some other protrusion on the wall. This no longer works with the new handle as it's open on one end.

The only place you can hang the new one is a vertical wall who's width is less than an inch or so (like a kettle wall) - the distance between the lid and the handle. To hang the new lid on a hook or nail, the hook/nail would have to stick out of the wall at least 50% of the diameter of the lid and you'd have to hang the lid with it sticking out sideways into the room. Nobody's going to do that.

All my 2 cents of course.

Kal

There's no lack of irony that the new kettles won't work on a stand designed around their original kettles and floor burners.

So will Blichmann discount the G2 if shipped sans the new 90° valve?
Because that valve won't work for me, and I'm really not likely going to pay for two or three of them when I upgrade to 20g kettles...

Cheers!

P9030062.jpg

My question now is: Is there a stop on the valve to prevent someone from unscrewing the knob completely out? We know it's easy to disassemble for cleaning as stated in the ads, but what is stopping someone from unscrewing it completely? Especially if it's full of hot wort?

Thanks

Back