Co2 Distributor Help Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cswest

Reaction score
Problem: Nothing but foam coming out of my picnic tap

Details: I got a 4-way Co2 Distributor for Christmas so I would not have to keep switching the gas when I have more than one keg in my fridge and eventual would like to get a BeerGun. I have about a foot and a half 1/4” beverage tubing going from the Co2 tank to the distributor and about three or four feet going from the Co2 Distributor to the keg. The picnic tap is 5 feet of 3/16” tubing. My normal process is to set the keg around 20 to 25 psi for two days and then back it down to around 5 to 8psi for serving. This has worked well for many years but now that I've set up the Co2 Distributor the flow is very slow and all foam.

What can I do to correct this?

Thanks!

Problem: Nothing but foam coming out of my picnic tap

Details: I got a 4-way Co2 Distributor for Christmas so I would not have to keep switching the gas when I have more than one keg in my fridge and eventual would like to get a BeerGun. I have about a foot and a half 1/4” beverage tubing going from the Co2 tank to the distributor and about three or four feet going from the Co2 Distributor to the keg. The picnic tap is 5 feet of 3/16” tubing. My normal process is to set the keg around 20 to 25 psi for two days and then back it down to around 5 to 8psi for serving. This has worked well for many years but now that I've set up the Co2 Distributor the flow is very slow and all foam.

What can I do to correct this?

Thanks!

It's not the distributor. The beer is overcarbed, and then reducing the pressure to serve means that the co2 comes out of solution on its way to the tap. Combined with too-short serving lines, the beer would come out with lots of foam but seemingly flat as the co2 is 'knocked' out of the beer.

This method has worked for years with one keg and no distributor but I'm open to other methods.

Could you give me gas settings and hose lengths?

NB - I'd love to see this kind of info listed on the product page and/or included in the box.

Thanks

Do you have more than one keg connected to the distributor?

I agree that it appears your kegs are over carbonated.

You may want to try bleeding off pressure from each kegs pressure relief valve for a couple of days and see if they settle down.

As others mentioned, I don't believe your foaming is really be related to the gas distributor.

It may be more coincidental that the foaming started when you connected the distributor into your system.

Try bleeding some gas off of the head space in your keg and check that your regulator pressure is not too high.

After a few days to stabilize, the foaming should be under control.

Thanks for the feed back. I understand why you all might think that the pressure was too high and I have backed it down to 3psi and bleed off the excess but I'm still not sure why it was pouring so slowly even when I had it turned up to 10psi.

Always open to new ideas.

Thanks for the feed back. I understand why you all might think that the pressure was too high and I have backed it down to 3psi and bleed off the excess but I'm still not sure why it was pouring so slowly even when I had it turned up to 10psi.

Always open to new ideas.

If it's pouring slowly, that makes me consider that there is some debris in the long (in) diptube or in the post or poppit, occluding it partially. Is that a possibility?

So I disconnected the gas and completely vented the keg over the weekend. On Monday I removed, disassembled, cleaned and sanitized the out post and dip tube. I then hooked everything back up and set the psi to 8. everything works great now, I'm guessing something was blocked up in there.

Thanks for the help!

Back