When to add fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuGordon

Reaction score
I am going to be using dogfish heads blood orange hef recipe. Should I add the fruit before the vigorous fermentation or wait until its over and drop it in? I thought about doing half before and half after.

Thoughts?

Just do it after. There's no notable advantage to adding fruit before ferment, and you might blow off some of the more volitile aroma compounds from the citrus.

I figured that waiting would be the answer I would get. Do I need to transfer to secondary or can I just add the fruit into primary?

How do y'all normally add the fruit? Muslin bag weighted down by something?

JuGordon said:
I figured that waiting would be the answer I would get. Do I need to transfer to secondary or can I just add the fruit into primary?

How do y'all normally add the fruit? Muslin bag weighted down by something?

Don't think you would want to use a secondary on a hef since you should not be trying to clear your brew. I have just added the fruit without a bag and seem to get all the flavor I am looking for each time.

Back