Seriously stop using acronyms,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C'mon, this was surely a joke, right? The OP can't seriously have thought to come onto a message board and instruct the entire membership on the proper way to post... right?

The post referencing CO2, IBU, etc was gold. This was the first thing that popped into my head when I read the original post. Was the true intention that nobody post acronyms that the OP was not familiar with? Perhaps Tex would kindly provide us all with a list of acceptible acronyms?

Maybe we should set up an acronym approval committee (AAC).

Okay, I am getting silly, now.

It's worth distinguishing between "jargon" acronyms (BIAB, IBU, AG, etc.) and "txtspk" acronyms (OMG, etc.). The former do more than just reduce the number of characters you have to type, they have specific technical meanings. As a result, they make your post easier to understand (to someone versed in the jargon) quickly.

The latter are, I guess, laziness at some level. However, this is a message board. It's informal. I've personally been using various forms of those acronyms for two decades, so you might as well be bitching about CBers talking in 10-codes. It's part of the culture. You don't just storm in and demand that people drop their habits because you, as a n00b, don't understand them.

STFU or GTFO.

Man, that stick is in there really deep.

Yeah, SSUA

Seriously though, this post is hilarious but some dude from guam you need to relax. RDWHAHB

It's worth distinguishing between "jargon" acronyms (BIAB, IBU, AG, etc.) and "txtspk" acronyms (OMG, etc.). The former do more than just reduce the number of characters you have to type, they have specific technical meanings. As a result, they make your post easier to understand (to someone versed in the jargon) quickly.

The latter are, I guess, laziness at some level. However, this is a message board. It's informal. I've personally been using various forms of those acronyms for two decades, so you might as well be bitching about CBers talking in 10-codes. It's part of the culture. You don't just storm in and demand that people drop their habits because you, as a n00b, don't understand them.

STFU or GTFO.

I get that part of it to some degree, but the post that set him off (looking at his last post before starting this thread) was someone referencing BDSA (Belgian Dark Strong Ale), which granted is less used than IPA, but the usage is identical.

Srsly, OP is aware of PTSD (Pembina Trails School Division)? Must live here in YWG.

I LOL each time I email my BFF, a PE/IA teacher, @PTSD.

What a SUA (Seriously Unfortunate Acronym)...Like the Canadian Reform Alliance Party -CRAP- a few years back...that changed their name, and is somehow in charge here now...

RDWDAHB, HBT'ers!

-BB

... As a result, they make your post easier to understand (to someone versed in the jargon) quickly...

I would argue that the non technical abbreviations do the same thing. It just means you have to become versed in a new jargon. The CB analogy is perfect, I wouldn't get on there and demand people stop saying 10-4. :)

FWIW, I'm not arguing with you zeg, I think we agree.

I get that part of it to some degree, but the post that set him off (looking at his last post before starting this thread) was someone referencing BDSA (Belgian Dark Strong Ale), which granted is less used than IPA, but the usage is identical.

Ah, well, that's squarely in the jargon camp, and not informal at all. You define it somewhere (in an academic paper, at the first use; on the Internet, either explicitly or from context in the thread), and then it's easier both to write and read. If you write a paragraph that refers to it a couple times, it's far easier to read as BDSA.

He dont like acronyms? IDGAF. I love them. Imagine having to read and type out everything . It just takes too long.

clerks%20ii.jpg

Hey Dante, I just made fun of a grammar nazi so hard he puked all over the counter. Where do we keep the mop and bucket so I can have Elias clean it up?

Ah, well, that's squarely in the jargon camp, and not informal at all. You define it somewhere (in an academic paper, at the first use; on the Internet, either explicitly or from context in the thread), and then it's easier both to write and read. If you write a paragraph that refers to it a couple times, it's far easier to read as BDSA.

I also immediately replied to his post what BDSA was...not that I had ever used, seen or googled it...but it was a thread about Belgians FFS!

I always find myself simply astounded when one expects everyone else to change their behavior to suit them. "I don't like (or understand acronyms) so you should stop using them." "I like BMC so you should stop speaking bad about them." ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

If you don't know the meaning of an acronym, why not simply ask? Do you think it makes you sound more intelligent to wail and moan about the use of acronyms than it would to admit your lack of understanding."

Besides, acronyms have another use besides streamlining conversation. They also help to demonstrate group identity. They are a means of communication among the initiated (for the member) and a means of obfuscation to the uninitiated (those not members of the group). This dynamic may seem a bit harsh but perhaps you should think of its other name--comradery. Instead of moaning and complaining about acronyms, why not ask what they mean and join in? Instead of "shaking your fist" at the group, join in.

I usually can get the gist of the meaning by how they are used in context.
Like how BMC is used in a sentence disparaging large brewing corporations.
Some are less intuitive like SWMBO = "she who must be obedient"
because in context most use it like "she who keeps my balls in her purse" and I could not make it fit :)

YMMV,:ban:

RJ

Broaden your horizons and learn something new. Get with the times or get left behind. I'm middle aged and not that hip on the new lingo but I sure do google the **** out of things I don't know. Seriously, What is a common acronym? I'm in the military. I can probably use a few commonly known acronyms that would have you wondering what the hell I was talking about.

- Destin

Back