Apfelwein smells like nail polish remover...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gated312

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I started this batch of apfelwein about 4 weeks ago. It's about a 6 gallon batch, and is the standard recipe for the apple cider save for some pomegranate juice.

5 gallons AJ
2 litres Pom
1 lb Corn Sugar
1 Pack Notty Yeast

After this long, I've hit my fg and it still hasn't cleared. More than anything, there is still some 'krausen' (or the apfelwein equivalent) sitting on top, and it has a nasty smell like nail polish remover - really sharp stuff. In the last week or two it has been stored at a bit higher temp than I would like. But because I've been gone for that time, I just forgot about it.

So what's goin' on in there? At this point, should I try cold crashing and see what happens? Or else just wait it out for another couple weeks.

Scott

I had a similar situation with my Apfelwein, just let it sit at room temp for a couple more weeks. Eventually the cider cleared and the nail polish smell dissipated and it took another week for the krausen to go away too.

The cloudy look means it's still fermenting. The cooler the temp the longer it will take to finish, mine sat at 70F for 6 weeks.

Alright will do. Like is said I'm pretty sure I hit my fg, but I have to take a couple more readings. I'll let it sit regardless. I only asked because mine first batch of apfelwein fermented out and cleared in two weeks. Thanks.

Nail polish remover smell is acetaldehyde, caused by oxidation. Add a heavy dose of camden to reduce it. During fermentation its not so bad, after fermentation its very hard (impossible) to get rid of. Basically you have a problem with your process - too much headspace, too much handling.

Basically you have a problem with your process - too much headspace, too much handling.

Doubtful it's a problem with my process. It went straight into the ale pale and hasn't been touched for four weeks, and has only 3 inches of headspace. I clean and sanitize everything religiously, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Either way, I'll let it be and see what comes of it in the next week or so. If something disastrous does happen, I will be sure to let you know.

Doubtful it's a problem with my process. It went straight into the ale pale and hasn't been touched for four weeks, and has only 3 inches of headspace. I clean and sanitize everything religiously, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Either way, I'll let it be and see what comes of it in the next week or so. If something disastrous does happen, I will be sure to let you know.

3 inches of headspace in a bucket is too much. To mature cider and wine you need a narrow-neck demijohn type container filled to the top. If you had a perfect seal on your bucket and never opened it you might get away with 4 weeks.

With brewing and winemaking you have to recognise your mistakes, most people have problems with oxidation and acetaldehyde at some time, I know I have.

Nail polish remover smell is acetaldehyde, caused by oxidation. Add a heavy dose of camden to reduce it. During fermentation its not so bad, after fermentation its very hard (impossible) to get rid of. Basically you have a problem with your process - too much headspace, too much handling.

Confused.... I thought Campden kills yeast? If you add a tab per gallon, aren't you officially ending fermentation?

I am 4 days into my first batch of Apfelwein, and I am noticing a nailpolish like odor. Should I add a lesser dose of Campden, or...?

I am doing this in a MRB keg...

It goes away, add nothing, leave it alone and walk away for 4 weeks minimum :)

Confused.... I thought Campden kills yeast? If you add a tab per gallon, aren't you officially ending fermentation?

I am 4 days into my first batch of Apfelwein, and I am noticing a nailpolish like odor. Should I add a lesser dose of Campden, or...?

I am doing this in a MRB keg...

Camden supresses yeast and MLF bacteria but also binds to acetaldehyde, the antioxidant properties of camden are very important. Active yeast will also deal with acetaldehyde so it is only after yeast activity has stopped that acetaldehyde becomes a problem. You don't need to worry at the 4 day stage.

Camden doesn't end fermentation. Fermentation actually uses up your camden so after fermentation finishes you won't have any free camden (SO2).

Back