Stouts...where to start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JebCkr

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm fairly new to the "dark" beer scene. I've always enjoyed guiness and Sam Adams Honey Porter. I've also tried a few other stouts here lately. One was a cheapy chocolate stout that was a bit light on mouthfeel. I really am not trying to be specific on what I want here, just looking for opinions on other stout kits you may have made/tried. So, from your experiance, what would you suggest as a good stout kit? Preferably an extract kit. Thanks in advance. :mug:

Just go to your favorite online retailer and pick out a stout kit. A basic dry Irish stout should be similar to Guiness. Here's one. Or try another style to see what it's like. Most retailers will have a few different styles.

I don't know if you can get it cheap locally, but McAuslen produces a very good Oatmeal Stout wich pretty much any online kit from a respectable vendor will be able to approximate decently. My first batch was the Festa Brew Double Oatmeal Stout and altough it is different, being that it's not a clone, it is still phenomenal.

If you pick a Guinness clone, be aware it will be different from the Guinness you get on tap or in the cans, unless you have a Nitro capabilities. But it will still be goob beer. Most dry stouts are only pale malt, flaked barley and roasted barley, with the proportions or the omission of flaked barley being the variables.

Look up the recipe on here for Deception Creme Stout, it's got great reviews/feedback and is an easy extract/steeping grains recipe. Two thumbs up!

Here's a few dark beers to try if you haven't already! =)

Fullers' London Porter, O'hara's, Mackeson's, Sierra Nevada's Stout. Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout and Taddy Porter. Bell's Brewery has a fine porter and stouts.

A special mention for Souther Tier's Iniquity a black IPA, and their Mocha Stout for my $6 the best cocoa and coffee stout out there. They also have a Creme Broule Stout that tastes like butter scotch, it's good but so...butter scotchy a little goes a long way, but fun to share with friends now an then.

Back