Favorite Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeissGuy

Reaction score
Big fan of Weissbier here (hence the name), so I just wanted to see what everyone's favorite was? I'd have to say my top three are:

1. Franziskaner Hefe
2. Weihenstephaner Hefe
3. Berkshire Brewing Co. Hefe (summer seasonal that I just love for some reason whenver i'm in Boston)

For domestics, I really like the Whippet Wheat from Thirsty dog, and Mother Earth Brewing in NC has a great Hefe called Sunny Haze. It's not all that complex or fancy but it's drinkability to interesting ratio is spot on. Flying Dog's In Heat Wheat is also quite good.

Also, I hate to be one of 'those guys,' but German hefes really do taste better in the Vaterland, not that they aren't already exceptionally and totally worth experiencing here. My favorites are the Weihenstephaner, Paulaner Naturtrüb, and Schöfferhofer.

If I had to pick I single favorite it'd probably be the Paulaner Naturtrüb.

I agree with your top 2. Perfect beers. I'll have to check out that BBC one. Cape cod beer makes a pretty good summer hefe.

Julius Escher is pretty good. I actually like the magic hat circus boy with the lemongrass in it. Adds a nice twist to a traditional style.

1. Weinstephaner
2. Moosbacher
3. Paulaner
4. Hacker-Pschorr
5. Erdinger

As mentioned above, all German Hefe 's are better over the pond. Not that they're bad here, but when I was over there I was so surprised by how much better such a simple beer can be.

Widmer.

It was a gateway beer for me. Got me into craft beer and will always have a special place in my heart.

I like Weihenstephaner (and I'd throw in their dunkelweizen, too), Julius Echter, Franziskaner, and Sierra Nevada Kellerweis.

i might get flammed here but Sam adams just realeased ther dunkel. got really nice notes of roasty banana and very clean
also sixpoint in brooklyn has a krystalweisen called "apollo" its got a great sour twang to it with huge bubblegum notes ( which i acually love in this style)

i might get flammed here but Sam adams just realeased ther dunkel. got really nice notes of roasty banana and very clean
also sixpoint in brooklyn has a krystalweisen called "apollo" its got a great sour twang to it with huge bubblegum notes ( which i acually love in this style)

I've been meaning to try Apollo, I'll have to grab some this weekend.

I also do not wish to be flamed :p, but one of my local watering holes that specializes in Eastern Euopean brews recently put Sierra Nevada Kellerweis on tap, and I can't get enough. I had it side-by-side with Erdinger and Paulander, and I think the SN is more refreshing on these hot FL Sept. days!

- My All Wheat Hefe
- My Bavarian Hefe
- Franziskaner Hefe
- Paulaner Hefe
- Weihenstephaner Hefe
- Sierra Nevada Kellerweis

:ban:

My favorite is Franziskaner on tap and my number 2 is Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis - outstanding representation of the style and excellent value for dollar.

Live Oak, hands down has the best hefe I've ever had,its close to perfect. Its one of the greatest things about living in Austin, I can have it anytime I want. Its also one of the hardest things about homebrewing here though, its always there to be compared to mine and I just cant compete.

Back