cider press

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jberth

Reaction score
made a cider press :). The grinder sits behind it, feeds into two separate mesh nylon bags separated by maple block inside the strainer/pot. I then adjust the main 4x4 shaft to the right high and use a two ton hydraulic jack underneath (so if there are any problems it doesn't contaminate the batch) and it collects in the bin underneath. Please post pictures of your presses, i'd like to see other designs maybe, in order to improve mine! Thank you.

cider press.jpg

yea, i wanted to put the jack under the cider, so it wouldn't contaminate if anything went wrong. Hands down its a much harder design than putting the jack above, but i think its worth it. And the holes are 3/16. i would do that design again, i'd say the pot is much stronger than most of the barrel strainers you could get. Its a two ton jack. If i were to do another press, i'd make it out of steel, get a bigger pot and a 4 or 6 ton jack to maximize pressure and efficiency. The press I hve now is made out of 4x4s on either side, and 2x4s going across, so its pretty strong, but i still hear creaking when i press sometimes, so i have to be carefull.

IMG_20130221_100701.jpg

This is my press, I made the beam and posts from a tree on my farm, with a chainsaw. I use a 5 tonne jack, I don't think having the jack above is a problem.
I like your press, excellent use of available resources.

thats a very cool setup. the jack is ok, but i wouldn't hurt to put a metal tray right under it to catch any leaks just in case. what ton jack is that, 10?

Has anybody made a homemade apple crusher?
If so could you post pics I'm trying to make 1 but don't no what to make blades from.
Thanks for any help given

Most people use stainless screws with the heads protruding from the wooden drum a few mm, the screws spread around the drum not too close together, maybe in lines across the drum. (if you are making a drum scratter which is the best kind). Claude Jolicoeur uses the ss bands from large hose clamps, bent across the whole length at 90 degrees, one side sunk into a slot cut in the drum, the other side facing the direction of the spinning drum to cut into the apples like a knife.

You show I was wrong, he doesn't set the strips into the drum, but screws them to the drum. Thanks for posting that.

newbee17 said:
Has anybody made a homemade apple crusher?
If so could you post pics I'm trying to make 1 but don't no what to make blades from.
Thanks for any help given

I've built a couple, but after see in the link above I can see there will be a fourth in the coming years. The current setup uses a 5.5" diameter drum of hard maple, turned on a lathe and drilled down the center. "Blades" are SS screws set at various depths, for no real reason. The thing sets on a cart, so I can wheel it around and it's got a table for dumping apples onto. I like this because I can easily pick over any I don't want going into the cider.

I'll see about posting photos after the weekend. The screws have worked well for me. I'm pressing roughly 50 gallons/year without much trouble. But Claude's idea of the SS bent metal blades appear to chop more quickly than mine. I wish the video showed the end product. I get little pea sized bits and some bigger pieces of skin.

Good luck!

Pea-sized bits are perfect. My scratter used a 4" diameter PVC pipe with disks of MDF fitted to the inside, but 4" is too small, the apples tend to bounce too much. Going to try again with a larger diameter drum.

This is the start of my apple press I just have the frame done so far.I'm gonna start the timber work over the nxt few weeks.

What size bottle jack should u go with is it a case of the bigger the better or at what stage is it to much over kill to do the job??

You can see my nabours apple tree in the background of last pick that's where my apples are gonna come from

ForumRunner_20130527_205216.png

ForumRunner_20130527_205208.jpg

ForumRunner_20130527_205225.jpg

ForumRunner_20130527_205237.jpg

ForumRunner_20130527_205256.jpg

I hope you don't mind the criticism but that profile of steel is intended to be used on its side, not laying flat. You were probably thinking of a flat surface to press against but you will get more tons of press strength on its side. It isn't too late to change the design, you have some good steel it would be a pity not to make a really strong press frame. Do you have a local steel fabrication business you could ask advice from?

I hope you don't mind the criticism but that profile of steel is intended to be used on its side, not laying flat. You were probably thinking of a flat surface to press against but you will get more tons of press strength on its side. It isn't too late to change the design, you have some good steel it would be a pity not to make a really strong press frame. Do you have a local steel fabrication business you could ask advice from?

No I don't mind the critisism that why I posted I tought the flat edge would be best to put jack against and I've seen a lot on YouTube made from timber so I tought this would still be a lot stronger than timber?

Don't no anybody in a steel fabrication business that would give me free advice unfortunately.

Tastey also. Its nice to be able to bled what apple you are wanting. It seems the best cider apple are not the best eaters. Its a chore to try and find some long lost trees in the old style apples. You find a bunch in the woods that have been there naturaly. After you wear out all the tough 5-10 year olds cranking gets old so this is the plan for this year. Old apples, old press, old man, and an old engine. Should make a sweet product.

ciderpressrunning.jpg

JBerth: Where did they get the press in the cider boys video?

Here's mine. I made it several years ago.

Insinkerator scratter.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409090989.867058.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409091059.812031.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409091083.410558.jpg

Scrap wood and 4 ton bottle jack. Cheese cloth is a window shade cut in quarters.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409091138.736035.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409091195.706208.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409091220.324880.jpg

I only press about 25 gallons a year. I have 8 trees on my property and use a lot of wild apples.

Latest posts

Back