IPA help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcory77

Reaction score
Hey guys, I purchased an IPA extract kit from AHS and am worried about the directions a little and wanted to get your take.

I am going to be doing a full boil 6 gallons down to 5. The directions are for a partial boil, 3 gallons topped off to 5.25 gallons. the recipe is as follows.

8lbs extra-pale LME
1.5 lbs Crystal 60L - steeped
.5 lbs 2-row - steeped

1 oz. Summit - 16%AA - 60'
.5 oz Summit - 16%AA - 15'
.5 oz Falconer's Flight - 11.4%AA - 15'
1 oz Summit - 16%AA - 5'
1 oz Falconer's Flight 11.4%AA - 5'

When I plug this in on tastybrew.com using a full boil I get 108 IBUs.

My question is, since I am doing a full boil, will this brew be way over the top bitter, or is this about right for what this american IPA should be? I like really hoppy IPAs, but I don't want this thing to be way out of balance on the bitter side of things.

Thought?

Thanks!!!!!

It's probably a bit high, but not rediculous. What is the gravity supposed to be? You take the IBUs, divide by the gravity and you get the Bitterness ratio. Somewhere around .8 to 1.2 is within the range of a IPA. If you think you are too high you could cut the first addition in half.

Your good. The beer should be fine. If you are worried cut the 60 min addition down a bit. Also you may want tto grab an oz or two for dry hopping.

Yeah, I have an ounce each of Summit and Falconer's Flight to dry hop with. I was just concerned that 1 oz of 16%AA Summit for 60 minutes would be way too bitter. I might tone it down, but I might just let it ride.

i am a very unscientific brewer, so i can't tell you numerically how this would change the beer, so take it with a grain of salt.

but what i would do is swap some of the 60 minute addition to a first wort hop. maybe .5 FWH, .25 60 min, and then up the 15 to .75

maybe also move the FF addition to 10 minutes, and the summit and other FF down to 1-2 or flame out. those don't really matter as much though, anything from 20-10, 10-5, and 5-0 is pretty close to the same.

i can't remember a single IPA where i have thought it would be better with more bitterness, but i have had several that i wish had more late addition hops.

Thanks for the suggestions Waka. I agree with you that I have had IPAs that I wished had more hop flavor, but none that needed more bittering. I went with the following hop schedule and it gave me 84 IBUs which is plenty for me.

.75 oz. Summit - 16%AA - 60'
.75 oz Summit - 16%AA - 10'
.5 oz Falconer's Flight - 11.4%AA - 10'
1.5 oz Summit - 16%AA - 2'
1.5 oz Falconer's Flight 11.4%AA - 2'

Bubbling away as we speak, and it smells great!!!!!!!!

I plan on dry hopping as well, I have a ton of cascades I could dry hop with, even some citra. Still thinking on the dry hops I want to use.

As an extract brewer, he can't really do a FWH (I'm not even sure when you would add the hops for FWH'ing with extract). I wouldn't change the hop schedule at all.

And for calculating BU:GU--take your total IBU's and divide by the last two digits of your original gravity.

Don't use first wort hops unless you have a specific character you're going for. If all you're worried about is IBUs then just cut down your 60 minute addition.

I usually FWH darker beers where I feel that the rounder bittering character will help accentuate the malt. I personally wouldn't with an IPA but that's just me.

Latest posts

Back