Houston, we have a problem.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beanbagz1

Reaction score
i brewed an all grain batch of cream of three crops cream ale about 3 months ago... i had been looking for a corny keg for some time.. hoping to be able to keg my first batch and not have to bottle... problem is one week turned into 3.. and then 3 weeks turned into over 3 months in the primary..

i now have a corny keg, and transferred my beer into the secondary after this long span of time. i took a small sample out to taste and it really isnt half bad, but is giving me a pretty killer stomach ache.

after looking at the primary, the lid to the plastic fermenter has some black mold growing in the lip of the lid. did i spoil this batch by letting it sit in the primary for too long?

AHHHHH

The duration isnt the problem, the fact that mold got in is (i.e. not an air tight seal). A milder beer like this wont benefit from a long fermentation/aging, but it wont hurt it (minus fading flavors), and like I said, the mold is from a bad seal or bad sanitation, not the beer itself.

The duration isnt the problem, the fact that mold got in is (i.e. not an air tight seal). A milder beer like this wont benefit from a long fermentation/aging, but it wont hurt it (minus fading flavors), and like I said, the mold is from a bad seal or bad sanitation, not the beer itself.

do you think i should go ahead and keg it like i intended to? or dump it? the beer itself did not have any black mold on it.. just the inside of the lid. i just dont know what to do.

Cheap batch, quick turnaround possible, stomach ache, and clear signs of mold.....I think you should dump away, nothing good can come from drinking more of that.

I agree. While i'm typically an "Anything but dumping it" kind of guy, black mold isnt worth messing around with.

Back