How many other college students are on here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germelli1

Reaction score
I know of a few, but I figured I would see how many others were willing to check in here!

I am a student at virginia tech studying GIS and Forestry! Any one else?

I just graduated two weeks ago. Brewed my way through college. Saved a ton of money. I went to JMU, by the way.

Seems like an eternity ago for me. I might become one again when I retire.

We have a lot of older students here. Many are from the military either at the end of their career or in the middle of their career! In some of my forestry classes we have some retired horticulturists studying urban applications of forestry and horticulture.

Another one here, about to be 33 and have at least 2 years before my bachelors is finished. Do it before you start your career and family, because it becomes real tough after that. Thankfully though, its all been free up to this semester. Starting in January, Uncle Sam doesn't pay anymore :(

Another one here, about to be 33 and have at least 2 years before my bachelors is finished. Do it before you start your career and family, because it becomes real tough after that. Thankfully though, its all been free up to this semester. Starting in January, Uncle Sam doesn't pay anymore :(

We have a TON of Air Force guys in my GIS classes. The AF loves that stuff and if I don't go into forestry after graduation, I want to look into being an officer in some sort of GIS or remote sensing field. Someone suggested UAV pilot, but he also explained it is a touchy subject haha

Maps are my favorite pieces of art in the world. Google Earth is pretty much my favorite thing ever invented.

Couldn't agree more! Maps and mapping was the best class ever. Our final exam was an orienteering competition in the National Forest. Our goal was to beat the team of Corps Cadet guys. We had a time of 1:17, they had a time of 1:18 :rockin:

Awesome! I have a ton of friends at JMU. We usually got in some sort of trouble when we visited them :D

Cool, I had a lot of friends that went to Tech. Yeah, I got in plenty of trouble at JMU...uptown is like the wild west, and freshman year was insanity. I took acid the night of the riots, was pretty intense.

Definitely check out Jack Brown's if you haven't, and the Charlottesville brew fest looked promising last year (I couldn't make it.)

Cool, I had a lot of friends that went to Tech. Yeah, I got in plenty of trouble at JMU...uptown is like the wild west, and freshman year was insanity. I took acid the night of the riots, was pretty intense.

Definitely check out Jack Brown's if you haven't, and the Charlottesville brew fest looked promising last year (I couldn't make it.)

We have our own craft beer festival coming up in 3 weeks. I didn't submit any since I had nothing brewed that would have scored high categorically.

And the riots...what can I say. We left my buddy passed out on a hill and the teargas drifted right into him with the wind hahaha

I am currently attending San Francisco State majoring in History, just finishing my last semester. Seems as if age was also on the topic so I will add that I am 25 years young. Doesn't seem like there are too many on the site, wonder how these numbers would compare to a question on how many members are under 30.

I graduated from Texas A&M University last May with a BS in GIS. Currently looking for a job. I've had a couple interviews, but aside from that, the process has been slow.

28, Air Force Institute of Technology, working on an MS in Electrical Engineering.

It took a long time to finish my BS due to working full time and I'm not a genius. Now it's a free ride with salary, but only 18 months allowed to graduate.

Just finished my masters in evnironmental science. Now I work at the college on wetland research. Have done my fair share of GIS. Just got ArcMap 10.0 at my college a couple of months ago.

Finishing my RN in December and then going on to U of Michigan for my baccalaureate.

27 and I am currently working on my bs at Embry Riddle and working full time but like many others I did my military time so I got a free ride and only about 1 year till I start my masters program

Senior in Computer Science at Wichita State.

Can't wait to graduate in May :rockin:

We have our own craft beer festival coming up in 3 weeks. I didn't submit any since I had nothing brewed that would have scored high categorically.

And the riots...what can I say. We left my buddy passed out on a hill and the teargas drifted right into him with the wind hahaha

Is it Rocktown? They have a homebrew comp? I can't find it on the website, maybe I'm an idiot, but would you mind pointing me to where I could find some info? Cause I have 3 beers I'd like to enter.

Is it Rocktown? They have a homebrew comp? I can't find it on the website, maybe I'm an idiot, but would you mind pointing me to where I could find some info? Cause I have 3 beers I'd like to enter.

No, it is one here in blacksburg and the deadline already passed. Actually all the beers have already been judged (my professor is a BJCP judge and judged this competition). I doubt you want the link after hearing that but here it is:

http://www.blacksburgpartnership.org/brewdo/

Neuroscience here, but it's ended up not being quite the type of neuroscience I wanted to study, so I am in the process of transferring to a biochemistry program (at another school).

It feels sort of serendipitous too, as not only will it be much more relevant to what I was aiming to study, but within the biochem program I can also major (or at least minor) in something that will really help me get into the brewing industry as well, should I eventually decide going that route!

No, it is one here in blacksburg and the deadline already passed. Actually all the beers have already been judged (my professor is a BJCP judge and judged this competition). I doubt you want the link after hearing that but here it is:

http://www.blacksburgpartnership.org/brewdo/

Hah, I entered that one last year with a pretty close clone of Flying Dog Raging *****. I received two scores, a 39 and a 17. The guy who gave me a 17 had no clue what he was doing (said it "needed more hops" when it was 55 IBUs and made a bunch of other vague and nonsensical comments) and seemed to just not understand Belgian IPAs.

Decided not to enter this year. :D

Hah, I entered that one last year with a pretty close clone of Flying Dog Raging *****. I received two scores, a 39 and a 17. The guy who gave me a 17 had no clue what he was doing (said it "needed more hops" when it was 55 IBUs and made a bunch of other vague and nonsensical comments) and seemed to just not understand Belgian IPAs.

Decided not to enter this year. :D

Haha ya, my professor said everyone tasted this one beer, said it was alright at best. He pointed out that they need to follow the category guidelines and that one ended up best of show this year hahaha

rexbanner said:
The guy who gave me a 17 had no clue what he was doing (said it "needed more hops" when it was 55 IBUs

Not saying that the guy was right, but you realize that citing the number if IBUs doesn't prove him wrong, right?

There are literally dozens of reasons that dismissing such a comment because it's 55IBUs may not be wise (eg stylistic reasons, or not actual getting 55IBUs that is ESTIMATED), but by far the biggest reason why it's pretty bogus "proof" of him being wrong is that saying you need more hops generally refers to hops used to contribute actual flavor/aroma, which makes citing the IBUs entirely irrelevant.

Not saying it was necessarily the case, or that this judge was in any way right, but people in general are very often all-too-eager to justify in any way possible (regardless of validity) entirely dismissing a poor score/critical comments, when these are frequently the most important and scoresheets a homebrewer can receive.

I'm a grad student. I graduated with a double major in history and geography from SFASU. I'm studying resource interpretation, GIS and public history for my masters.

grad student here as well, working on my Ph.D. in Horticulture (turfgrass science) at Iowa State. hoping to be done next may.

After a fourteen year career with Miller-Coors, I have decided to switch careers, so I'm back again. I'm a junior at Texas A&M-Commerce pursuing a generalist degree in ed.

I'm in my last semester, last class in fact, at UNLV. I'm also an older student at 27. I went to school full-time while I played soccer until I was 22, then I got a typical Las Vegas job were I was making what seemed like good money for a guy in his early 20s, so finishing school got delayed. Went back 2 semesters ago while I continued to work. Now after I pass Molecular Genetics I'll have a BS in Biology. Most likely there will be more school in my future, but I want to see what kind of opportunities open up first.

Not saying that the guy was right, but you realize that citing the number if IBUs doesn't prove him wrong, right?

There are literally dozens of reasons that dismissing such a comment because it's 55IBUs may not be wise (eg stylistic reasons, or not actual getting 55IBUs that is ESTIMATED), but by far the biggest reason why it's pretty bogus "proof" of him being wrong is that saying you need more hops generally refers to hops used to contribute actual flavor/aroma, which makes citing the IBUs entirely irrelevant.

Not saying it was necessarily the case, or that this judge was in any way right, but people in general are very often all-too-eager to justify in any way possible (regardless of validity) entirely dismissing a poor score/critical comments, when these are frequently the most important and scoresheets a homebrewer can receive.

You're preachin to the choir. You'll just have to take my word for it. ;) Considering the other scores were a 39 and 36 and it could easily stand toe-to-toe with Cali-Belgique, Raging *****, or Monk's Revenge I just think the dude didn't really like Belgian IPAs. IMO they're not supposed to be as hoppy as American IPAs because the yeast adds some bite. That's just a personal preference, though.

Latest posts

Back