Standard Sanke tap in a Sanyo 4912

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronCity

Reaction score
I'd like to start supplementing my homebrews in the corny kegs with the occasional 1/6 commercial keg of beer. My question is will I have enough clearance in the fridge for a standard sanke tap like this one: http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=16348 or do I need a low profile tap like this:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/fullsize/low-boy.jpg

Also I was curious how people were dealing with switching back and forth between Corny air/liquid disconnects and Sanke tap inlet/outlets. Thank you.

I have a Danby mini fridge that is about the same size as the Sanyo, and I had to buy a "low-boy" tap in order to fit a 1/6 barrel in there. Unfortunately I'm at work so I can't tell you the exact height inside my kegerator.

However, I've found that using these adapters and these MFL threaded cornie coupleres really make it easy to switch between sanke and cornys. However, it doesn't look like this setup would work with that low-boy tap since it appears to have barbs for both gas and liquid. I'll see if i can hunt done the low-boy model i have.

My "low-profile" tap looks like this, though I don't see it for sale any more, probably because it's a real PITA to couple to the keg since you have to somehow screw the bottom portion into the keg without accidentally engaging the ball-contactor, which is all the T-handle is good for. And did I mention the top swivels? That mean you can't grab that part to twist it into the socket, either. Terrible design, really. Just so you know to beware.
keg-tap-low-profile.jpg

I have a 4912 and right now I have sitting in there one sixth barrel with what I assume is a normal sanky tap (lever type), a corny, and a 5# co2 tank. It is a tight fit to be sure, but the door shuts fine. The hoses will be a bit of a mess and changing the co2 pressure requires pulling stuff out or a hard reach, but it all fits and works just fine for me.

Props to MrFebtober for the links! Those 1/4"MFL sanke tailpieces are the exact thing I used to be able to connect a sanke tap to my homebrew setup. I have my bev lines set up with 1/4" barb swivel nuts on 1/4" MFL threaded fittings so I can switch a line from threded ball-lock disconnects to my modified sanke tap with impunity. :)

Back