Stone XI Anniversary Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a very similar recipe. No dextrose but still ended up with a bit over 9%. I had to use carafa II though.

It still turned out amazing. Did a blind taste test with SSR and 4/5 liked mine better. Although I will say that it is probably because mine was fresher. Nowhere near as much hop flavor and aroma when it's been sitting on bevmo's shelf for a few months

I noticed before some people were talking about adding black patent at the end of the mash. Is this normal for some malts? I've always just milled everything together and thrown it in to the mash at the same time.

Wanted to post a quick update. I finished off a keg of the recipe using black patent and I just started drinking my second iteration using the correct carafa III version. Surprisingly the black patent recipe was really good and a hit. Definitely was on the bitter end of things but very much enjoyed. On the other hand the new carafa III version is in a class of its own. Its perfectly balanced and smooth. For anyone finding themselves running into that same ingredient issue I would recommend holding off and using the carafa III if you are only going to make one version of this.

I'm about 2.5wks into this clone, using Gritsack's recipe (from pg 18). I used Beersmith to convert to partial mash, and ended up using 9.5lbs pale LME, 4lbs 2-row, and only .9lbs each of the specialty grains, and used Rogue Pacman yeast (2L starter). I also ended up pitching at 1.100 to give it some extra kick, so it's only about 4.25-4.5 gals. Next time I'll scale this to give me 5.5-6 gals.

I have yet to dry hop it, but I tasted it the other day (2 wks in), and it tastes very very good, and quite similar to the real deal. It tastes like the Simcoe is stronger on the original, and a tad bit more malt backing (I used dehusked Carafa III for the entire mash period), but it's still a great beer. I'll report back when I've finished dry hopping and it's carbed and in the bottle (3-4 wks).

This beer have become a house favorite and will definitely stay in my regular rotation. The last two 5 gallon batches have gone down fast.

I have been making this recipe for a year or so now.
Heavenly Scourge Black IIPA

Ingredients
Grains
15.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 88.57 %
1.00 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 5.71 % (last 10 mins of mash)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.71 %
Hops

3.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 110.4 IBU
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (1 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial (8-Paws) [8.80 %] (0 min) Hops
2.00 oz Centennial (8-Paws) [8.80 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops
Other
1 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [Starter 1500 ml]

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.080 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.01 %
Bitterness: 112.3 IBU
Calories: 369 cal/pint

Mash Profile
Total Grain Weight: 17.50 lb
Mash at 154.0 F for 60 min

Mine will be 2 weeks in the primary tomorrow. I basically followed a half batch of this recipe:

http://tastybrew.com/newrcp/detail/394

I'm wondering if I am too low on hops though. I added the 2.5 chinook and the 1 Amarillo and 1 Simcoe during the boil as described. However, for the dry hop, it is only calling for 1 oz each of Amarillo and Simcoe. That is what I bought at the HB store, but I don't have a way of getting anymore in the next week. I was planning to follow the recipe to a tee, but I'm thinking it's going to be less hoppy than the true SSR. I actually have plenty of extra chinook and centennial. I'm wondering if I should toss some of that in the secondary in addition to the A&S?

Anyone have any comments on my plan? I guess my options are:

1.) Leave it alone and do it as I planned per the tasty brew recipe.
2.) Add extra centennial or chinook (I also have 4 oz magnum and 1 oz perle if wanted to delay my next brew)
3.) Dry hop for longer than 1 week in the secondary. (maybe this will impart more hops flavor.

Either way, my original plan was to run as written, and then tweak it based on how the first batch came out. So far, my OG and mash temps were right were I expected them to be. I'm thinking this will be great either way!

However, I should throw in the fact that option 3 would probably be OK as well.

Definitely do NOT go with option two. I think it would completely alter the flavor/aroma profile.

Yeah, I think it's probably wise not to tweak this one yet. I'll at least have a baseline. I'm going to do a side by side with a bottle of SSR anyway. I'll be able to tell quickly if I'm missing some of the hop taste. Then, I can just add it to the secondary next time.

Edit: I didn't see your 2nd post, Haputanlas. I may keep it a little longer in the secondary. I'm guessing 2 weeks may do it. I see some people go that long anyway. The only thing I'm wondering is if it is will get more hoppy in the secondary vs in the bottles. I'm guessing just filtering the hops chunks from the bottling bucket is the reason. I think I'll leave this one a little longer in the secondary. Thanks

I just checked my SG, and it came out 1.025. Pretty close to the target of 1.021 after 13 days. I also had to taste it. Nothing funky to report. It was very bitter though. I'm guessing that is due to only having the hops from the boil in it right now. I'm guessing the time in the secondary, the added dry hops, and the time in the bottles will help it out a bunch. It's still close to an SSR right now.

Here's another question. If my FG looks like it is going to park in the 1.025 range, is there any need to swirl the wort at this point? Sure, I would take care not to churn oxygen into it, but if this thing is done, I don't want to mess with it. It is also going to transfer to the secondary, so I'm sure some yeast cake will get sucked up. I'm guessing it will drop down near the 1.021 target or real close. My vote is not to touch it, but what do you guys think?

Yeah, just leave it. I love this beer at 1.020ish. The little bit of extra body really brings out the best in this.

Even if it stays at 1.025, I think it will be good.

Well, today it is still at 1.025, and it is now in the secondary with the dry hops. It actually tastes a little more bitter today (just a comment). Another thing I noticed is the final volume. I'm guessing it is only about 4 gallons finished. I lost nearly a half gallon due to trub. I couldn't get anything else to pump through the autosiphon without slugging a bunch of it through. I wonder if I didn't start with enough volume. The recipe came out as stated, but it just seems my final volume is going to be low. I'm only worried that the 3/4 cup of priming sugar may be too much. I'm thinking I may need to go with 5 oz instead of 6.

This is what I got directly from Stone Brewery about a month ago. Have not brewed it up yet, but will very soon. XI is by far one of my top favorites.

Stone 11th Anniversary Ale Recipe

Grain Bill:

90% pale malt

5% 60°L Crystal

5% Weyermann Carafa III Special

OG target is 20.5°P (1.082 SG) Terminal Gravity target is 4°P (1.016 SG)

Hops:

Bittering at start of boil: 100% Chinook

Flavor hops added at end of boil or whirlpool: 50/50 blend of Simcoe and Amarillo

Target 120 IBU’s.

Ferment with good ale yeast. We used our house yeast.

Dry-Hop with 50/50 blend of Simcoe and Amarillo, use LOTS! (we used 1 ½ pounds per barrel).

Good luck and enjoy. Post up if you brew it, let us know how it is.

Just kegged a batch of this wonderful beer; Nice perfume, long roasty finish.
Very balanced beer between the hops and grain flavors. Really excellent formulation.

I rebrewed this one. First time it ended at 1.014 but this time quit at about 1.018. I think I prefer it dryer, however it has nice body and a great mouthfeel.

I did a side by side against SSR. Mine was a little more dry and bitter with a little less hop flavor, but pretty close. I used the generic recipe from tasty brew, but somehow I boiled the A/S hops for 10 minutes instead of 5. Not sure why. I guess I just miscalculated. Beersmith said it was 129 IBU, instead of 119. I'm not sure if that made a difference, but I will tweak it for next time. All in all, it was VERY close. Next time, I may increase the dry hop amount and move the A/S boil to 5 minutes like it called for. I may move the chinook out from 90 minutes to 60, as well.

I think it just needs a little tweak from bitter to aroma. Other than that, it's pretty much spot on.

I'm brewing this beer right now as my first AG attempt. Aiming for 3.5G using BIAB. Our LHBS was out of Simcoe so I had to substitute with Centennial (which I found on some substitute chart). What differences can I expect based on this?

9.5lbs 2 row
.5 lbs carafa I
.5 lbs crystal 60

1.25 oz Chinook 60min
.5 oz Centennial 0 min
.5 oz Amarillo 0 min
.5 oz Centennial dry hop
.5 oz Amarillo dry hop

Using White Labs 007 Dry English Ale.

3.5 gallon batch

Actually, there really is no sub for the piney notes of Simcoe. I recenty was told that Sam Calagione from Dogfish bought them all up. Might not be available for a while.

Ya, that was what I was worrying about. Oh well, I will hope for the best! I only had 65% efficiency, but being my first attempt I will be super pleased regardless.

Centennial will give you a more floral taste/aroma. Should be great.

Agree. It's going to be noticeable in a side by side. However, this beer would be very good with the centennial in the dry hop. I think you're beer is going to come out very good. Either way, you will brew it more than once.

I think yours will not be as bitter as the one I brewed, but heck, mine might have been a tad more bitter than the original anyway. I used the tastybrew recipe with the 90 minute boil and boiling the second addition for 10 minutes. I see yours doesn't have as high of a percentage of chinook in the boil, and the rest of your hops have no boil time. That, and the centennial should give you a more floral taste in itself. I bet the citrus taste should give it a good addition.

Please let us know how this one comes out once it has rested in a month or so.

Ya, that was what I was worrying about. Oh well, I will hope for the best! I only had 65% efficiency, but being my first attempt I will be super pleased regardless.

Grain bills this big always get lower efficiency. Check preboil gravity and adjust with DME or dextrose to get where you want. The dextrose (1lb I think) worked well for me to get the FG down and make this giant beer more drinkable.

I can't seem to find Carafa III Special at my LHBS. I live in Olympia, WA and the best I could do was find a HBS in Lakewood, WA (20 min north of me) that said they had "Carafa® 500-600L." I called the shop and they had no idea if it was I, II, or III, and had no idea if it was the Special (unhusked), and had no idea what I meant by "unhusked."

The best I can find locally is the standard chocolate and black patent malts.

I am very limited on space, time, and equipment, so I've been planning to use a partial extract/partial grain.

Some other posts have suggested using chocolate malt, some have suggested cold steeping, and some have suggested using Sinamar. While it may be totally kosher as far as German purity laws, seems lame to add a color extract just for color's sake.

Anyone have any ideas? Would using chocolate malt give a drastically different flavor profile?

I talked to my local brew shop about it and they mentioned a list of alternatives. Hope this helps.

-Castle De-Bittered Black
-Weyermann De-husked Carafa I, II and III (these are also know as "Carafa Special" or de-husked)
-Briess Blackprinz

worldzfree said:
I talked to my local brew shop about it and they mentioned a list of alternatives. Hope this helps.

-Weyermann De-husked Carafa I, II and III (these are also know as "Carafa Special" or de-husked)
-Briess Blackprinz

Yes, I use de-bittered black and it works great.

-Briess Blackprinz

My LHBS got some Debittered German Black Malt from Brewcraft. I've used it in a couple of CDAs and the results were great.

I've also made some CDAs by cold-steeping a mixture of Black Patent, Roasted Barley, and Chocolate, great results.

Overall, I still prefer using the debittered stuff.

Just got my batch bottled. So, I should know in a few weeks how it turned out. The last runnings were actually pretty close to a flat Self Righteous! This was my first time dry hopping and the taste/aroma compared to the sample I took two weeks ago was amazingly different.

Definitely let us know how it turns out. Partially inspired by your sub, and partially by some other IPAs I've done, I've decided to try a smaller version of this (~7%), with all simcoe/centennial (luckily my LHBS has simcoe, and i ordered a lb from farmhousebrewing, because damned if I'm running out of one of my favorite hops)

Brewing a SMaSH simcoe/MO today to basically function as a delicious starter to top crop from, then next week(end) I'll brew this:

11 lbs US 2-Row
12 oz caraffa III
12 oz crystal 60L
60 IBU from simcoe FWH addition
1 oz each centennial and simcoe at whirlpool
1 oz(?) each c/s dry hop

Will report back how it goes...

Guys, does anyone else notice an insane head retention from this? Mine pours a couple of inches thick and won't go down for anything. You can literally write your name in it. Kinda cool.

I just wish my oatmeal stout had half the head of this stuff.

Just poured a glass 10 days after bottling. (about 20 mins after pouring). It's still green and had some weird off flavor at fridge temp but letting it warm up to 50 or so and it tastes wonderful.

Another 4-6 weeks... Can't wait!

Tested another bottle. Much better! I think I slightly over-primed it, but its tasty regardless.

2qa1c3p.jpg

I have my clone of this in the fermenter now. Still bubbling like crazy at 72 hours.
OG was 1.084 which was what I was shooting for.

This was a 4gal boil, topped off with a little over a gallon...

I don't have my all grain equipment yet, so I did a partial mash in a bag -
I also don't have any scales, so I did nice round numbers to make it easy on myself. :)
Here's my bill:
-9.00 lb Pale LME
-3.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
-0.50 lb Crystal 60L
-0.50 lb Carafa III
-0.50 lb Carapils

Pacman yeast 750ml starter (3rd gen)

75min boil
**Hop Schedule
=3oz Chinook [13%] First Wort
=1.0oz Simcoe whole [13%] 1min
=1.5oz Amarillo Gold [8.5%] 1min
=0.5oz Cascade 1min (I know this isn't in their recipe but couldn't resist) 1min

Oak Age on cubes in secondary 2 weeks

Dry Hops 7 days
== 1.0oz Simcoe whole
== 1.5oz Amarillo
== 0.5oz Cascade
== 1.0oz Centennial (Also not on the recipe, but I had some extras in my freezer I needed to get rid of :) )

Comments:
Went into the primary black as oil so I think I got enough Carafa III with just 1/2lb.
Smells awesome!

Drinking a freshly kegged and carbed glass of my recipe from a few post ago (except used simcoe at 60min not FWH). VERY happy, more to my taste than the original recipe. Centennial works great, and it's a bit more drinkable at 7%, though admittedly it's kinda a different beer now.

Here's mine-- coming along well...
I oak aged with cubes for one week, and will dry hop one week before cold crashing and bottling. Bottling for the first time instead of kegging to force myself to age :)
After taking this picture, I left it alone for an hour, then swirled in the hops...
img1138fh.jpg

Cheers!

Black Jack 9/9/11
This is my stab at a 1bbl batch with a couple small tweaks.
Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 37.00 US gals
Wort Volume After Boil: 35.00 US gals
Volume Transferred: 33.00 US gals
Volume At Pitching: 33.00 US gals
Volume Of Finished Beer: 31.00 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.067 SG Expected OG: 1.071 SG
Expected FG: 1.016 SG Apparent Attenuation: 76.5 %
Expected ABV: 7.4 % Expected ABW: 5.8 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 68.6 IBU
Expected Color (using Morey): 25.0 SRM
BU:GU ratio: 0.96
Mash Efficiency: 80.0 %
Boil Duration: 75.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 68 degF

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
US 2-Row Malt 75.00 lb 83.3 % 3.9 In Mash/Steeped
US Rice Hulls 5.00 lb 5.6 % 0.0 In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 20L Malt 2.50 lb 2.8 % 1.4 In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 80L Malt 2.50 lb 2.8 % 5.7 In Mash/Steeped
German Carafa III 2.50 lb 2.8 % 37.5 In Mash/Steeped
US Flaked Barley 1.25 lb 1.4 % 0.1 In Mash/Steeped
US Chocolate Malt 1.25 lb 1.4 % 12.5 In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
US Columbus(Tomahawk) 13.0 % 4.50 oz 28.1 Loose Pellet Hops 70 Min From End
US Chinook 13.0 % 4.50 oz 28.1 Loose Pellet Hops 70 Min From End
US Amarillo 9.0 % 3.00 oz 6.2 Loose Pellet Hops 15 Min From End
US Centennial 9.0 % 3.00 oz 6.2 Loose Pellet Hops 15 Min From End
US Amarillo 9.0 % 3.00 oz 0.0 Loose Pellet Hops At turn off
US Centennial 9.0 % 3.00 oz 0.0 Loose Pellet Hops At turn off
US Amarillo 9.0 % 4.50 oz 0.0 Loose Pellet Hops Dry-Hopped
US Centennial 9.0 % 4.50 oz 0.0 Loose Pellet Hops Dry-Hopped

Other Ingredients
Ingredient Amount When
Whirlfloc Tablet 0.50 oz In Boil
Yeast Nutrient 0.50 oz In Boil

Yeast
White Labs WLP090 San Diago

Mash pH: 5.2
pH Adjusted with: Five Star 5.2

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name: Single Step Infusion (68C/154F) w/Mash-Out
xxx
Step Type Temperature Duration
Rest at 154 degF 75min
Raise to and Mash out at 171 degF 10min

pretty much just rebrewed this beer too.
used hops on hand though, magnum and columbus for bittering.
columbus and challenger @ 10 minutes and columbus, challenger and casade at flameout.

i think the grianbill was something like

16.5 LB fawcett pearl
1LB C60
1LB carafa III
6 oz pale Chocolate

OG was 1.078

have come full circle on the yeast, was going to pitch some WLP 007 and didn't like how it was acting in another beer so ran to the beer store and grabbed a pack of US05 and pitched this morning...

I have hops from my garden that i would like to use in this receipe. What do you suggest to use given the following choices?

Nugget
Chinook
Cascade

Back