Another way to protect an element?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
I see a lot of questions with people worried about damaging their heating element with an immersion chiller, melting their BIAB, etc. I haven't seen this done before, but WHAT IF you put some perforated stainless tube around the element with some room for circulation? I figure you'd still be able to reach a boil, you could probably even drill some of the holes out. Alternatively, I guess you could solder "roll bars" around the element and get the same effect.

asstperftube.jpg

images.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

I would think you'd need more circulation around the element, or scorching may occur. Im no scientist, but I did stay at a Holiday INN Express once!

That good for a bag, but if you're using a basket like me or even an IC, you need something stronger....

I had this idea but abandoned it because I could not find 304 or 316 ss perf tubing from any USA retailers, save for one, willing to sell small quantities to an individual let alone at a decent price point; a 12" piece was $100+ from the lone retailer for a frame of reference.

I sit a copper coil right on top of the element with no problems so far (and the nylon paint strainers do not melt when they touch the element either).

Latest posts

Back