Finally started my first batch today, how did i do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthboundagain

Reaction score
Brew Day Ides of April 4/15/10

Ok so today was the day I decided to start my first batches of ciders and wine. I made up four 1 gallon batches, which I will describe below.

First I boiled 2 gallons of water and let it cool to 120 degrees. I then added 1 tablespoon of LD Carlson quick clean (should have added 2 but I was stressing and messed it up). I then soaked everything in this solution. After a 15 mins, I drained and set everything on a clean towel to air dry a bit.

I then got started on cider # 1, which was 1 gallon of Motts Natural Apple juice, and I pitched it with part of a pack of Montrachet Yeast. The below info is for this cider.

Cider #1
S.G. 1.051
Sugar oz. 18
Pa 6.5%

Next was a Cyser. For this I took 1 ¾ lb of clover honey added ½ gallon of Motts Natural Apple Juice, added some spring water to get it up to about ¾ a carboy full. The honey was boiled and then cooled in a small amount of spring water. I pitched this with part of the Montrachet. The stats are

Cyser #1
S.G. 1.076
Sugar oz. 26
PA 10%

Next we have Cider #2 which is ½ gallon of Motts Natural Apple Juice, to which I added 2 cups of Currants I bought at a nature/health food store. I think they are zante currants but I am not sure. I boiled the 2 cups in an about 2 cups of water and let that cool before adding it to the juice. I also added some spring water to get it to the correct level, and added more of the packet of Montrachet. The stats for it are.

Cider #2
S.G. 1.035
Sugar oz. 12
PA 4.75%

Next we have my first wild creation, not sure if I should call id a cider or a wine. I took 1 ½ gallons of the Motts Natural Apple Juice and added 1 can of Welch’s 100% Concord grape Frozen Concentrate. I pitched the rest of the packet of Montrachet to this. The stats are as follows.

Cider/Wine #1
S.G. 1.063
Sugar oz. 23
PA 8.5%

I would appreciate any critique and/or advice. The only questions I have is should I stir the batch that has the currants in the bottom? I did not put them in my mesh bag, and I only really put them in to get use out of them, since I have not gotten around to eating them. So far after about 3 hours the only airlock action I have is from the Cyser, while I know I have to have patience, it will be nice to see them all take off. On a side note I have them all in my basement, where it is a 68 degrees and holding. Like I said any questions, comments or advice, would be wonderful. I am definitely not following RDWHAHB; maybe I should beat myself over the head with Papazian’s book, so it sinks in. :rockin:

I love the zeal! I still get excited to play with ingredents from the grocery store.

All looks cool to me except you might want to get your hands on some StarSan or Iodophor for you sanitation...they are no rinse and both are much easer (and imho better) then the quick clean.

bottom line have fun!

Quick update, all my carboys are showing signs of fermentation, which is a big relief. I have a few more specific questions, but I will do a site search first.

Back