Clearing Thames Valley Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thelorax121

Reaction score
The Wyeast Thames Valley is quickly becoming a favorite English yeast. I love the mild fruity esters and it definitely adds a nice biscuity maltiness to my bitters. The one slight compliant that I do have with it is that it doesn't flocculate worth a damn. So for those who have expetience with this yeast, have you tired to clear beers made with this yeast, and if so, how? I am particularly interested in cold crashing over finings, so if anyone has a timeline for how long and at what temperature they let a beer sit at to clear it up some, that would be swell. Thanks!

I have brewed two beers with Thames, both of which are still fermenting or conditioning and I really like the flavors so far (a little cleaner/drier than wlp002, but not like nottingham), but your right, this yeast wont drop. I'm going to cold crash the first, and english IPA, for about a week on the floor of my garage, and if that doesn't drop the yeast then it will have to go in my keg fridge and I may try the gelatin finings thing.....this particular beer may get dumped too, because I used 2-row that was likely really old that was given to me with my three tier system recently purchased used and there was an off aroma throughout the process from mashing on. The second beer is a porter, it's delicious already, and yeast is less of an issue due to the dark color, but I'd like to get it to clear some just for a cleaner flavor. I'm using the first beer as an experiment, so I will report back.

I've used it several times, but never had any problem with the beer clearing.
I must admit, I used a tsp of Irish Moss for the last 15 minutes of the boil, and chilled well either before (or during) racking to the fermenter, and don't let the beer drop below about 55F (my serving temperature). I would also have never kegged earlier than 3 weeks after brewing or bottled earlier than 5 weeks. I've never found the need to cold crash, or use finings.

-a.

I am drinking an AG ESB brewed with Thames as I write this and it is as clear as muddy swamp water. Granted this is one of the first pulls off of the corny so there may be more sediment but it is still much murkier than my IPA's. Really interesting flavor profile going on with this beer. It ended up a bit drier than the recipe called for but I am good with that. Montanaandy

Time and patience will clear that yeast. That or cold crashing with gelatin. It is stubborn when it comes to flocculating. Montanaandy, when you say interesting profile, do you get a drity/earthy kind of taste from it? It tastes to me kind of like how you described it's appearance - muddy swamp water. Not that it's bad, just different.

Just a quick update, I have a red ale that I brewed up with this yeast a few weeks ago that is finally starting to clear pretty nicely. It has been cold crashing at 35F for about two weeks and fined with gelatin, and that seems to have done the trick. Thanks for the help everyone

don't let the beer drop below about 55F (my serving temperature).

-a.

What is the theory behind not crashing below 55F with this yeast? Would it produce off flavors or is it just not appropriate for an English Bitter?

Sorry, I was just answering the OP. I didn't mean to say that you shouldn't let the beer drop below 55F, just that I don't and haven't found it necessary with an English pale ale. Other than the possibility of creating chill haze as mentioned by thelorax, I cannot see any reason that it would be detrimental.

-a.

I use Thames in my ESB and have never had a problem with it clearing. My recipe has a bare bones grain bill and it conditions in the keg for at least 4 weeks at 55f. It comes out crystal clear after pulling a pint of sediment upon tapping. The crew at my LHBS are actually surprised at the clarity I'm achieving with Thames. I don't have much in advise except to let it condition and it should clear right up. I do use Whirlfloc at the end of my boil but I don't think that has anything to do with it. I agree with KingBrianI, give it time.

Back