Does anyone have a good base for an Oatmeal Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mackinskor

Reaction score
I have a few ingredients I want to work into an Oatmeal Stout, but I haven't come across anything significant as of yet. Just reaching out, seeing who makes a good one. Thanks for any help :) :mug:

10 pound two row
1 pound chocolate
4 oz barley
1 pound caraamber
1 pound rolled oats

1/2 oz northern brewer at 60
1/2 oz northern brewer at 45
1/2 oz EKG at 30 minutes
1/2 oz EKG at 15 minutes

mash at 154

Safeale S-04

I have this exact beer bottled and it is very nice. The cara may not be necassary but I think it added a very nice malty dimension and aroma to my brew.

Awesome! Now, I'm seeing both recipes are AG -- Never done AG before, willing to try it out to be certain, but tbqh, I'm not sure I have the brewing "chops" or equipment to pull off an AG batch. My ingredients won't be in until MONDAY and I'm out of town next week so I won't be able to do this deal until next week Saturday.

if you can, track down brewing classic styles. this book has all extract AND all-grain recipes for each style... i'm sure the oatmeal stout in there is awesome. if you can't track it down, let me know and i'll give you the gist of the oatmeal stout recipe.

one could also convert to extract and use steeping grains.

don't forget to browse the recipe database (link at the top of the forums in the nav bar). I get a lot of inspiration there.

What about a Rye Stout instead of Oatmeal? I just realized, as I got an order I had forgotten about in the mail today, that I ordered Rye flakes, not Oats. I do want to make a Rye beer so... Talk to me people! :p

What about a Rye Stout instead of Oatmeal?

why not? if you already have the flakes, go for it... although i wouldn't put too much rye into it, otherwise it will have that unmistakable rye flavor dominating... it's up to you of course, but i think too much rye will detract from the nature of a stout.

why not? if you already have the flakes, go for it... although i wouldn't put too much rye into it, otherwise it will have that unmistakable rye flavor dominating... it's up to you of course, but i think too much rye will detract from the nature of a stout.

yeah, i dont know -- why not? why not make whatever beer I want? I'm going to, and it's going to be amazing and I'll come here and tell you all how amazing it is!! Don't be jealous!

+1 on that attitude.

Brewing to style is great for comps and if you really want to do it, but we're brewers and we can brew whatever the hell we want!

Latest posts

Back