Basic curry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For those who are a packet and can cook I'm hoping this will show you how easy it is to make a cheap good curry. This is a fairly basic dish. Based on the fact it uses an onion stock it could be called a Balti but I cook curries like I make beer. How I like it rather than to a style.

I boil several large onion in just enough water to caver them then blitz to get a stock.
dsc00004qr8.jpg

Then I blend my own Garam masala. I'm not after anything that stands out because it is only a stock curry sauce and I'll add to it further when I use it. You could buy a ready mixed masala.
dsc00006co2.jpg

I use ghee and fry off casia bark and cloves.
dsc00002kh0.jpg

Once the ghee is flavoured Remove the bark and cloves. Then I add the Garam Masala
dsc00003xj7.jpg

For this dish I marinaded diced chicken thigh in diced chilli, root ginger, garlic, a little powdered chilli, turmeric, coriander, lemon juice, yoghurt and saffron. The thigh is tastier then the breast and has better texture. It's also half the price.

dsc00007mm5.jpg

After this is fried off I add the curry stock.

dsc00010jk5.jpg

Apologies. I had guests round so didn't take a picture of the plated dish.
I'll snap a picture next time.

Depending on the time you have this can be served from the pan after 20 - 30 minutes simmering. Just enough time to prep the rice and side or if you can leave it in a slow cooker for 4+ hours you'll have chicken that almost desolves in your mouth.

Orfy, you're making me hungry, and I need to go to bed. I love curry and that looks fantastic. :) (I need a salivating smiley :D)

I made a really cool curry dish last night.

In a large pot, heat 2 Tbs Ghee, add a 3" Cinnamon stick and ~1 to 2 tsp Yellow Curry (I make my own as well) and 1 Tbs Minced Ginger root. Stir that briefly and then add about 2 medium cooking Pumpkin (Mine were the size of a large Butternut, in fact Butternut would work fine), 1.5" chunk (skinned) and about 1.5 C water, 1/4 C Sugar and a pinch of salt. Simmer this covered, stirring frequently for about 15 minutes. Add 1.5 cans Coconut milk (Not the sweetened kind), stir and reduce to a simmer for about another 20 minutes until the Pumpkin begins to break down and soften on the edges. Turn off the heat and add 1/2 bunch chopped Cilantro. Serve as a side.

Jolly.

If you can't find any Asian retailers locally then there are a lot of online retailers and wholesalers.

I'm cooking a curry tonight so will use a base stock and make a Lamb Vindaloo based dish with potato, vinegar and tomato along with probably a Korma again.

Back