British Mild.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does any one ever drink Mild or brew it. It was the style of beer that I drank in the pub for my first 10 years. It's not as popular now and maybe only one in five pubs will sell it.

I know sample it when ever I see it. It was the tipple of my Granddad and his Dad.
The Style is very much bedded in the history of beer in this area. It was very popular with the Miners and in the working man's clubs.

This is a good write up.

http://www.keighleyandcravencamra.org.uk/BeerCiderPerry/mild.shtml

And this is a classic.

http://www.theakstons.co.uk/ales/view_detail.php?id=13

I think this is going to be my next brew
Tasting Notes

A dark, delicious beer with a dry palate and a full, rounded, Fuggle hop flavour. Brewed using three different malts: pale malt for body, crystal malt for rich flavour, and black malt for texture and taste.

Wow! Orfy,
What an interesting post. Thank you. I am very interested in legacy beers. Maybe it's because i'm fading out too.:) You have piqued my interest in mild ale. Please explain this for me:
......> * Beware keg versions of these products - not all production of these beers goes into cask form. Some of these products are even pasteurised, pressurised and served as keg beer or even bottled or put in cans. All beers suffer from these unnatural processes but, mild with its more subtle and gentle flavours, seems to suffer even more than other beer styles. Keg and canned milds are simply horrible. <..........
Are they saying all authentic mild ale is casked?
Cheers.......

This is from a CAMRA site.

They (we) are beer Nazis. (In the good sense)

I believe you can sometimes get a good beer in a keg but you will regularly get crap beer from kegs. (The majority)It's like with food, you can get good food from a greasy spoon cafe but most of the time you'll get quality food from a quality restaurant.
What I'm trying to say is if you only drink "live" cask ale then you will get great and good beer the vast majority of the time rather than rarely from a keg.

I used to drink Manns Mild which was a brown ale bottled at 2.8% mixed with Burtonwood Mild
http://www.mannsbeer.co.uk/manns_heritage.htm

orfy said:
What I'm trying to say is if you only drink "live" cask ale then you will get great and good beer the vast majority of the time rather than rarely from a keg.

You said:I think this is going to be my next brew

Do you have a small cask?

A cask does not have to be wood.
You can cask condition in a keg.

Basically it is none pasteurised beer that is left to carbonated and condition in the keg/cask and naturally carbonated rather than for carbonated.

It is still alive.

orfy said:
A cask does not have to be wood.
You can cask condition in a keg.

Basically it is none pasteurised beer that is left to carbonated and condition in the keg/cask and naturally carbonated rather than for carbonated.

It is still alive.

That's what i presumed. I was really needing a reason and excuse to buy a small cask. I've been thinking about it for quite some time now.. LOL
Please keep us posted on how the brew progresses. I am very interested.
Cheers.........

PS. i usually naturally carbonate in the keg using a pressure relief set to the style.

Hi guys! Just out of curiosity, I started looking around for a recipe for mild ale. You know, the "other" British pale ale, besides bitter and ESB? Anyway, I've never seen or tasted the stuff, so I thought I'd check around and see what a recipe for mild ale looks like ... and couldn't find anything anywhere!

Anybody know what mild ale tastes like? It must be pretty boring to be so totally ignored by the famously adventurous/ experiment-happy home brewing community. But just out of Imperial solidarity I'd like to try one sometime, even if I have to brew it to do it ...

Thanks!

--Finn

I might of drank a pint or hundred of the stuff.

Mild around here is dark, roasty and at the lower end of the ABV range and with a very slight sweetness.

This is my recipe.
To Convert to Extract and grain use the equivalent DME or LME instead of the MO grain.

Mild Mannered Ale

3.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
0.75 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett)
0.15 kg Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett)
30.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (45 min) Hops 15.1 IBU
30.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (15 min) Hops 8.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

ABV 3.6
IBU 23 (Top end of range)

Mash High.

Notes: ------ A classic northern dark mild like my Granddad used to drink.

Yikes, Orfy, you posted a recipe and the whole thread got spirited away to the recipes forum! Probably a good thing -- I think it's the first mild to darken the doors of this hallowed hall.

Thanks for the info! I'll have to try it. Hey, this is the beer that won WWII, right? Those RAF guys couldn't possibly have knocked off all those Heinkels and Messerschmitts if they'd been drinking IPA.

Cheers!

--Finn

p.s. BTW, what's the OG on Mild Mannered?

For those of us who like to explore the malt side of life I highly recommend this style. I've brewed jamil's recipe a couple of times and it is good. Unlike Orfy though I haven't had the opportunity to compare it to the real thing in its native environment. Another style to consider if you are tired of hoppy beers (especially with the current hop situation) are Scottish Ales. Avoid recipes with smoked malt - there is a faint hint of smokiness already in a properly formulated recipe and they don't brew with it in Scottland.

GT

Should you decide you like the style, I can recommend "Mild Ales" from the Classic Beer Styles Series.

My recent attempt at a mild (for Christmas) was this:

6 lb. Munton Fison Pale LME
1/2 lb. 90-L crystal malt (US)
1/4 lb. Cara-Pils malt (US)
1/4 lb. chocolate malt (US)
0.4 oz. 12.2% AAU Chinook hops (60 min)
1 oz. 3.7% AAU Liberty hops (15 min)

The grains were steeped at 155 deg. F. for 17 minutes with about 2 qts. of water. The wort was boiled for 60 minutes. O.G. was 1.039, and I didn't bother with measuring the final gravity. I don't know if this was a true blue Mild, but it was tasty and most definitely, mild. You can drink a big ol' pint of this, and not get all sleepy. I'll brew this again, but I'd like to get a little more "roasty" in the malt flavors. Maybe bumping up the chocolate malt to 1/3 lb. and substituting the Cara-Pils with more crystal ought to do the trick.

Got Trub? said:
Another style to consider if you are tired of hoppy beers (especially with the current hop situation) are Scottish Ales.

I've been thinking about the Baltic Porter style. But lately it's been Milds and Ordinary Bitters for me.

orfy said:
Check the drop down under my Avatar.

Full details including US spec recipe and downloadable BSM and TXT files.

OG 1037.

orfy,
Can you suggest a comparable White Labs or Wyeast yeast that I can pick up at my LHBS?

I am looking forward to brewing this :)

Orfy, thanks for posting this recipe!

Mild English ale is the reason I got into home brewing in the first place and there are few if any credible sources for MEA recipes on the internet.

Thanks for the link and suggestion on the book, guys. I've been using Designing Great Beers as a starting point; I've sen Brewing Classic Styles mentioned but wasn't sure if it would add much info. I'll pick it up.

Rick

Designing Great Beers has a very informative section on Mild Ale. For that matter, you could try Mild Ale, by Dave Sutula, for a more in-depth analysis.

Mild is one of my favourite styles to brew and drink. I have two house beers always available - Mild and Bitter. Read Daniels for a relatively exhaustive breakdown of grists for Mild. In the meantime, my much-tweaked recipe can be found in the "Recipes" drop-down under my username. I find the flavour exactly what I desire - complex in its roasty-malt character, with just enough bitterness to offset it. Definitely "more-ish". The malt bill is altogether too complex, but it seems to work.

Cheers,

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
barnettcb said:
orfy,
Can you suggest a comparable White Labs or Wyeast yeast that I can pick up at my LHBS?

I am looking forward to brewing this :)

For milds and malty bitters I've had really good luck with Wyeast 1968 London ESB and Wyeast 1099 Whitbread Ale. Both add to a malty body with just a little residual sweetness. For a dryer Mild, you might try 1028 London Ale. Also very good stuff.

Of course, Nottingham is inexpensive and a no-brainer for this style. I'd be very surprised if your LHBS didn't have it.

Chad

I brewed Jamil's Dark Mild and it was a really enjoyable beer. The great thing about these beers is you can throw down a couple of pints and still be sober. Think of it as a slightly lighter brown ale.
WLP002 English Ale or Wyeast 1968 ESB yeast are excellent for this style. They leave the beer with a little more body than the dryer english yeasts like Nottingham and clear quickly. Also this beer can be ready to drink much quicker than most styles.
Enjoy.
Craig

I'd be cautious of trying to go dry on a mild. They are very low ABV and need the help from a less fermentable wort and the relating lower attenuation.

Ok, so for liquid yeast, looks like Wyeast 1968 ESB is the way to go...
My LHBS does carry Danstar dry yeast, so the Nottingham is certainly an option.

Hey - good thread. I like milds.

I prefer Danstar Windsor for a mild, due to the more fruity character, and attentuation closer to 70%. Nottingham is closer to 78-82% for me, usually.

Orfy, If I am reading your recipe correct, I see a 70 degree mash temp, which would be 158 degrees F. Maybe this is why Nottingham attenuates more reasonably in your recipe?

I just did Jamil's Mild on Sunday. Came in a bit higher (1.039) but smelled fantastic.

Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 13.69 gal
Estimated OG: 1.035 SG
Estimated Color: 23.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 15.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 75.9 %
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 10.3 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 6.9 %
1.00 lb Pale Chocolate Malt (200.0 SRM) Grain 6.9 %
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.50%] (60 min) Hops 15.7 IBU
2 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

[edit] I added 1/2 pound of Carapils too. I add it to all my beers for body.

Mashed at 156 for 90 minutes.

I also FWH'd the EKG.

BierMuncher said:
I just did Jamil's Mild on Sunday. Came in a bit higher (1.039) but smelled fantastic...
That looks pretty tasty, I wish I could find some crystal 120L locally. It's nice to see he brews the odd beer without pale chocolate too - which I also can't get. :)

I am now thinking of brewing a mild using Orfy's or similar recipe, mashing at 158 for 15-20 minutes, and using nottingham.

I think that will help make for a quick brew day-I am always up for time saving brewing ideas....

I've used both the Nottingham and Wyeast 1968 for this and for bitters. I can't tell any difference in taste and they attenuated in my hands similarly. The 1968 is hands down the most flocculant yeast I have ever used so I use it for my bitter as I can go from brew day to drinking crystal clear beer from bottles in 4 weeks.

GT

Got Trub? said:
I've used both the Nottingham and Wyeast 1968 for this and for bitters. I can't tell any difference in taste and they attenuated in my hands similarly. The 1968 is hands down the most flocculant yeast I have ever used so I use it for my bitter as I can go from brew day to drinking crystal clear beer from bottles in 4 weeks.

GT

OK, so I just picked up the goodies to make a batch of pale mild based on Jamil's recipe -- got a carboy of nut-brown goin right now, or I would have started right out with Orfy's recipe, which is a bit darker. Since it's such a low-gravity beer, can I get away with leaving it in primary for only 10 days or so before bottling?

This is gonna be my first all-grain beer ... I've set meself up for partial-mash batches, then realized that the grainbill on milds is so light, I can do the whole thing! Bought a pound of pilsner DME, though, just for insurance in case my wort comes out at 1.022 ...

mike_g08 said:
...mashing at 158 for 15-20 minutes...I think that will help make for a quick brew day-I am always up for time saving brewing ideas....

15-20 minutes will kill your efficiency.

Anecdotally, I brewed the same recipe on three different occasions and recorded a 60 minute mash, a 75 and a 90 minute mash. All at the same temp (154).

Each additional 15 minutes gained me 2-3 gravity points.

I now try and get an 80-90 minute mash to optimize my efficiency.

I gotta beleive that you'd get converse results with shortenned mash times.

mike_g08 said:
I am now thinking of brewing a mild using Orfy's or similar recipe, mashing at 158 for 15-20 minutes, and using nottingham.

I think that will help make for a quick brew day-I am always up for time saving brewing ideas....

A mash can convert in 20 minutes but it will be better to leave it at lease 40 minutes to make sure. I have only ever tested my mash twice, one of thos was at 20 minutes but I still go at least 40. I don't want to risk a brew for the sake of 20 minutes.

Is there a brand of LME you could use in an extract Mild that would help get the Marris Otter-type flavors? I've only used Northern Brewer LME and Munton's up to this point (in other recipes, haven't brewed a mild at all yet). I'm looking to make one soon and I was wondering if a specific LME brand would make a difference versus generic light LME or DME.

Back