Adjusting Palmer's APA extract recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlprice45

Reaction score
Many of you are familiar with John Palmer's brewing book and its recipes. For my next brew I want to make a slightly higher alc. version of his APA (I want about 5.6 ABV). So, basically what I'm thinking is adding 1 lb. of light DME to the recipe.

The DME would go in with the 3.3 lb. of pale LME for the 60 minute 3-gallon boil. Then I'll add the remaining 3.3 lb LME at knockout. I'll also adjust the hop schedule up to get about 45 IBUs (I made a recipe at Hopville and came up with this approach, see below). Going to ferment with 1 pack of rehydrated Nottingham dry ale yeast.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1680297

Does this sound like a good recipe? Any details that I'm missing?

I can't get the Hopville link to load here at work, but it sounds like you've got the right approach. If you up the gravity, you'll want to up the hops as well. In theory, you'll try to keep the bitterness-to-gravity ratio about the same. But it all depends on your tastes, and what you're trying to achieve.

Cheers!

rule of thumb for DME/LME to ABV is whatever poundage you use, the ABV is one less.

So, if you use 7 lbs of extract, expect the ABV to be somewhere int he ballpark of 6%

Many of you are familiar with John Palmer's brewing book and its recipes. For my next brew I want to make a slightly higher alc. version of his APA (I want about 5.6 ABV). So, basically what I'm thinking is adding 1 lb. of light DME to the recipe.

The DME would go in with the 3.3 lb. of pale LME for the 60 minute 3-gallon boil. Then I'll add the remaining 3.3 lb LME at knockout. I'll also adjust the hop schedule up to get about 45 IBUs (I made a recipe at Hopville and came up with this approach, see below). Going to ferment with 1 pack of rehydrated Nottingham dry ale yeast.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1680297

Does this sound like a good recipe? Any details that I'm missing?

Looks like a fine recipe :mug: I like big hops flavor and aroma, so I'd prolly do an APA hop schedule like 60/15/10/5/0. But thats just me. Who the heck am I to argue with Mr. Palmer?

Not like it's a big deal, but you have your malt extract entered in Hopville as 3lbs 3oz... 3.3lbs is more like 3lbs 5oz. Again, it's not a biggie. Just trying to be helpful

Appreciate the input everyone.

And thanks dickproenneke for pointing this out about oz., didn't realize I'd made that mistake. Stupid math. BTW I love your user name, I'm a big fan of Alone in the Wilderness (assuming that's what you're referencing)! They show it about once every six months on my local PBS station.

Not like it's a big deal, but you have your malt extract entered in Hopville as 3lbs 3oz... 3.3lbs is more like 3lbs 5oz. Again, it's not a biggie. Just trying to be helpful[/QUOTE]

lol math isn't my thang either. no worries

Yeah man, DP is my idol. One of these days I'm gonna visit that cabin (and never go home)... But I only get to see him once a year during the holiday PBS fundraiser

Best of luck with the brew!

Back