Tropical/Candy-like aroma in Rye IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtb178

Reaction score
Just tasted the first bottle of a Rye IPA. Lots of Hops in the brew, in particular a mix of Chinook and Cascade in the last 5 minute boil. Dry hop was Chinook-Cascade-Amarillo in equal measure.

Great flavor, and I enjoy the aroma. But the aroma is a bit tropical and candy-sweet. Any idea why that would be?

It's the hops. I made a pale ale using Citra hops and it tasted like it had mango in it.(quite pleasant I thought) When I made it again I used Citra and Cascade and it tastes like carbonated grapefruit juice. If you want other flavors, choose the hops to give them to you. Here's a listing of hops and their flavors. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/hops

It's a little unexpected from any of those hops but I'd have to blame Amarillo here. It can be orangey/mangoey at times. The cascade's grapefruit could be adding to that.

Amarillo would be the fruitiest of that bunch. If you don't like that flavor, then you used too much Amarillo late and in the dryhop. Next time, use less or substitute a portion with other hops. Candy sweetness can also come from a high FG, yeast selection/attenuation, higher fermentation temps, and possibly even too much crystal malts in your recipe. The hop juiciness works in tandem with the sweeter, caramelly beer to give some "fruit juice" attributes instead of a straight up, dry, hoppy, bready, bitter beer.

Latest posts

Back