Show us your Mead in a photo!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled last night!!

image-1757211242.jpg

image-2209716898.jpg

image-1300394087.jpg

I made this on the 13th.
My OG was 1.103.
I just tested it with my thief. it was 1.010.

I am a complete and total noob to this stuff and have been reading others talking about adding stuff to affect FG. Are my measurements ok or do I need to do anything?

Looks about good to me. Looks like right around 12.23% plus any fruit sugars or anything from additives.

Mead is Clearing nicely any. tips continue to bulk age or botttle age. My mead is about four months in

image-1802604121.jpg

cgr2973 said:
Mead is Clearing nicely any. tips continue to bulk age or botttle age. My mead is about four months in

I'm no pro, but what I do is I rack it about every 30 days until there is no sign of any debris left in the bottom, then I add clarifying agent and finishing agent, wait a week and bottle it, takes patience but my mead always turns out crystal clear with no debris at all in the bottle

Cliclaste said:
I'm no pro, but what I do is I rack it about every 30 days until there is no sign of any debris left in the bottom, then I add clarifying agent and finishing agent, wait a week and bottle it, takes patience but my mead always turns out crystal clear with no debris at all in the bottle

But as for aging, I say once it's completely clear, bottle it ad sit it in a dark cool room on its side and let it age that way

Attaching a photo of my first batch of raspberry melomel. It was a one gallon trial and a raging success, ready to consume within 7 months from start. Have made 15 additional gallons since, tweaking each recipe each time, and love each one! It is one of my favorites next to my raspberry-cherry galengal mead.

Raspberry Melomel day 2 3.6.2011.jpg

2011 ken schramms cyser, unfortunately fermented too warm with d47. Not the greatest but sure is pretty. Lol.

I personally prefer to allow nature to take its course and allow my mead to drop clear without fining agents. Depending on what your recipe ingredients are it simply varies from mead to mead as to how long that can take. For example, my raspberry melomel is always clear within 3-4 months and consumable around the 7 months mark, while my prickly pear cactus mead is still clearing at the 6 month mark and many reviews I have read that it can take up to three years for some batches of that particular mead to even clear naturally, but is well worth it. I also think if you have room to bulk age then go for it, but if you need the room and must bottle just make sure the mead is completely clear and completely degassed, but it will age well in either container.

I just digged up a picture of my very first mead, from several years ago.

foPWd.jpg

Too bad it was a failure on sooo many levels due to my ignorance. At least I learned a whole lot from my mistakes.

The one on the left is a lemongrass mint mead that I started last weekend. Originally it was heavy on the lemon flavor with a hint of honey and ended with a mintish after taste. And the other is JOAM that is a little over a month old.

image-1394091691.jpg

here's my Cyser, picture is a couple months old and I just bottled it a few days ago.
Fresh local honey and apples (which I juiced myself to get the apple component)
IMAG0352.jpg

Just brewed 10 gallons of a traditional mead today. However, one of the few downsides to brewing in kegs -- I can't take a pic!

image-836704957.jpg

From left to right.
My attempt at rumbullion.
My 1st mead. (honey, water, yeast, raisins and a little vanilla). Racked and clearing nicely!
Cranberry mead
JAOM
Caramel Belgium wit beer(racked for another 2 weeks)
The boxes in the shower are 48 bottles each of american wheat and bock. I added fresh orange peel and coriander to the the wheat. Both will be conditioned for a month on the 15th. I've sampled a bottle of each already. The bock reminds me of Guinness black lager.
Blueberry mead.
I also have a cyser upstairs in the kitchen cabinet. It didn't start so I had to dilute it.

*i use the litter container just in case the carboys decide to foam out.*

Actually it sits rather comfortably in the hand. Also it will prevent it form slipping out of your hand. :)

I'm interested in how the 14th Cen. mead tastes as well...might need to add it to the to brew list...:mug:

gruit-hydromel-00000m-56074.jpg

gruit-hydromel-00001m-56075.jpg

hydromel-00000m-56076.jpg

Black Lagoon Hydromel (weak mead flavoured with rosemary, bay leaf, and juniper berries), Day one, Day Three, and the first glass.

image-1052051824.jpg

My blueberry mead, mention from previous posts.
It's been a month and I racked it and added 5 lbs of honey, per the recipe. It also calls for 5lbs more of blueberries. I have to stop and get some tomorrow.

Chile capcisumel and prickly pear test batches

View attachment 46342

Great Morning...I was looking through all the beautiful mead pics and I saw your prickly pear mead. This was the first wine I have ever made. It was so good it didn't have time to age...much. Can wait until September to get some more of those little gems...we have a boat-load. How did you prep the, I call them 'cactus figs'? Is there an easier way than roasing them quickly over an open flame then juicing them? I am an oil painter and I have never seen such a beautiful color in my life. Natures palette is a wonderous thing...Thanks.

MzAnnie said:
Great Morning...I was looking through all the beautiful mead pics and I saw your prickly pear mead. This was the first wine I have ever made. It was so good it didn't have time to age...much. Can wait until September to get some more of those little gems...we have a boat-load. How did you prep the, I call them 'cactus figs'? Is there an easier way than roasing them quickly over an open flame then juicing them? I am an oil painter and I have never seen such a beautiful color in my life. Natures palette is a wonderous thing...Thanks.

I did just like you said and burned off all the little needles. After that I cut them open and scooped out all the tasty stuff and boiled it for 45 mins. After that I just added it all to primary and let it ride. Unfortunately this was one of my first meads and it came out way hot and tasted like jet fuel.

Just transferred my 2gal bucket of strawberry passion tea mead to secondary, looks beautiful, I havn't tasted yet

image-3865428736.jpg

This is my mead area. Note my complete disregard of the rules, and the fact that I play around with flavors willy-nilly. Sometimes I even come up with a tasty mead! I love playing with breadyeast because its cheap, I only have to wait a few months to get a good idea of the flavors, and I don't have to worry about off-flavors in my hot-as-moose-yayas apartment.

Note also the chalkboard area that my SWMBO painted on the wall to surprise me. When I got home from work she had done a full write-up on the meads I had fermenting and aging. I think I'll keep her! :tank:

random thursday night 005.jpg

random thursday night 006.jpg

Brann_mac_Finnchad said:
I'm interested in how the 14th Cen. mead tastes as well...might need to add it to the to brew list...:mug:

Black Lagoon Hydromel (weak mead flavoured with rosemary, bay leaf, and juniper berries), Day one, Day Three, and the first glass.

I have been wondering how juniper berries would turn out in mead, is it overpowering?

I was afraid it would overpower the other flavours, but even adding like 12 berries for a gallon it didn't (and you're usually told that just a few will take over).
I think that gin actually uses fresh semi-ripe berries, rather than fully ripened dried ones (I suspect that quite a bit of flavour gets lost when they're dried)--along with a variety other, supplementary, flavourings.

Cliclaste said:
I have been wondering how juniper berries would turn out in mead, is it overpowering?

I made a version of JAOM with added juniper berries and EC 1118 I think it was, I used dried juniper berries, and then I racked onto oak in secondary, it is fantastic. I used about a half a cup of dried juniper berries in a one gallon batch, but I think I would go a whole cup next time.

Back