primary,secondary and dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve50

Reaction score
Just brewed a clone of three floyds gumballhead. I need to dry hop for a week. Usually I leave the brew in the primary for 3 weeks then bottle and leave to condition for another 3 weeks.
My question is since I am moving to a secondary to dry hop should I do this after the fermentation stops(about 14 days) then move to secondary,dry hop and keep in secondary for another 7days or move to secondary after the usual 3 weeks then rack to the secondary and dry hop for 1 week? Or, can I dry hop in the primary?
Thanks , Steve
:mug:

I transfer to secondary when my beer is done and dry hop for usually 10 days. Been getting better results than dry hopping before the beer is finished. Also, if you want good hop aroma I'd recommend at least .5 oz per gal and for BIG hop aroma .75 - 1 oz per gal.

so keep in primary for 3weeks, move to secondary and dry hop for 1 week then bottle. correct? best method to dry hop??

It depends on the recipe for me and the length of dry hopping.
And I only secondary if I need to dry hop or lager.

So if it were me I would leave it in the primary until it's done, and then rack to secondary for the 7 days that the recipe calls for.

so keep in primary for 3weeks, move to secondary and dry hop for 1 week then bottle. correct? best method to dry hop??

There's no best method...in any aspect of brewing. It's what you prefer. Like I said earlier, many of us dryhop in primary. You're doing a month long primary, then you add the hops at the end of week 3 and bottle at the end of week four.

read to place the hops in a grain bag with 2-3 glass marbles and drop into the carboy to dry hop?
instructions call for 1 week dry hop in secondary. then bottle with 3/4 cup priming sugar and allow to bottle condition for 14-21 days.

read to place the hops in a grain bag with 2-3 glass marbles and drop into the carboy to dry hop?

Some people do it that way. I just dump my hops in.
... then bottle with 3/4 cup priming sugar and allow to bottle condition for 14-21 days.

You're not in charge of how long a beer takes to carb and bottle condition, the yeast are.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it usually takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition.

Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out.

Basically after three weeks, you take a bottle or two (usually from different cases) chill it for a couple days and see if they're ready..if they're both carbed and taste where you want it. If the answer's no...then you check back in another week or 2...

Some people do it that way. I just dump my hops in.

Revvy - If i just dump my dry hops in without the secondary will I need to up the amount? Will the trub diminish the flavoring of the dry hops?

I am going to dry hop an IPA tonight with 1 oz Centennial, should I add 1.5 oz instead? I like the idea of not using a secondary.

Back