A sticky situation with carbonation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grainstoglass

Reaction score
I just bottled a delicious batch of pale ale this weekend and thought everything had gone smoothly until I tasted the last 6 ounces or so of beer that was left beind in my bottling bucket. The remaining beer was super sweet and clearly loaded with my priming sugar. A glance at the bottom of the bucket confirmed my fear that it appears my priming sugar solution did not mix well and was more viscous than usual. After reflection I realized I may have boiled off more of the water than usual as I was busy sanitizing some bottles. What are my options now and what should I expect as far as carbonation is concerned? Anyone have any tips if I need to re-prime?

I wouldn't until you know for sure that you have an issue. A lot of folks think this because they taste their sweet beer and panic. You'd be surprised how much sugar you really have in the beer. Besides, since you have no way to calculate how much is in there, re-priming will more than likely lead to a bottle bomb issue.

Wait 4 weeks to make sure you have a problem BEFORE you consider adding any more fermentables in there.

Trying to "fix" something that may not be an issue COULD become a different, and worse issue entirely.

I wouldn't until you know for sure that you have an issue. A lot of folks think this because they taste their sweet beer and panic. You'd be surprised how much sugar you really have in the beer. Besides, since you have no way to calculate how much is in there, re-priming will more than likely lead to a bottle bomb issue.

Wait 4 weeks to make sure you have a problem BEFORE you consider adding any more fermentables in there.

Trying to "fix" something that may not be an issue COULD become a different, and worse issue entirely.

I agree completely. I am not going to touch it for awhile, I guess I am already trying to prepare myself for a major lack of carbonation after 3 or 4 weeks of bottle conditionaing and wondering what steps I should take at that point.

Back