Corn in the grain bill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rbeckett

Reaction score
I have been reading the grain bills of several clones and home brew recipes and have seen all kind and manner of ingredients like orange peels, corriander, and cinamon to name a few. I have not seen or heard a reference to using corn in your mash. Since corn is used to make liquir it has fermentables and can be mashed just like wheat and barley. Has anyone ever seen a recipe or brewed with corn as a part of the grain bill and to what percentage did you add it.. And if you did use it Why? To raise the ABV or to get a certain mouth feel or flavor? Just curious and since I am a noob I figured I would ask before I added it in case it turns out to be a bad idea.
Bob

I used flaked maize all the time in my ESB's. I used about 8oz in a 4 gallon batch. I believe it helps to thin the body of the beer out slightly.

I used flaked maize all the time in my ESB's. I used about 8oz in a 4 gallon batch. I believe it helps to thin the body of the beer out slightly.

Exactly..
Corn has a neutral flavor and is used to reduce the maltyness of beer
Resulting in a drier beer.
Some miller products contain corn for example.

Normally not more then 30% is used.

Drinking an American lager or pilsner would be a good place to start if looking to taste. Not all of em I'm sure but you get the idea.

Exactly..
Corn has a neutral flavor and is used to reduce the maltyness of beer
Resulting in a drier beer.
Some miller products contain corn for example.

Normally not more then 30% is used.

So it is a suitable addition, but what would the max percentage be, 30% like you use or maybe even 50 % and the rest barley. The reason I am asking is not to boost ABV because I really prefer "sissy" low ABV beers anyway, But if I used corn it could reduce the mash cost considerably. I have seen corn for 10 bucks a 50 lb bag at the feed stores and since the stuff gets boiled and is used as animal feed it has no or very few chemicals in it. Allowing for enough malt and hops to create a good flavor and the corn as a filler for the rest of the fermentables. It avoids adding LME and DME, which are expensive compared to other ingredients or just plain old sugar of every description. Any thoughts on this theory? Thanks in advance for any discussion on the subject. Since I am a noob this may have been covered before but I havent seen it if it has.
Wheels up Bob

Corn is a quite common ingredient in brewing, it's in all sorts of styles of beer. Often it's called flaked maize in recipes, since that form is the easiest to use because it's pregelatinized so it will lend it's fermentables easily. I think you're probably not looking close enough, or at the styles that call for it. But it is probably the most common adjunct ingredient.

I'm brewing a classic American pilsner tomorrow, 25% corn and the rest is half pilsner half two row.

Back