Three Floyds Alpha King Fans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gear101

Reaction score
All Grain Recipe - Three Floyds Alpha King ::: 1.066/1.015 (5.5 Gal)

Grain Bill

12 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
1 lb. - Crystal Malt (60L)
1/4 lb. - Special B Malt
1/8 lb. - Melanoidin Malt

Hop Schedule (64 IBU)

1 oz - Centennial (60 min.)
1/2 oz - Warrior (30 min.)
1 oz - Cascade (15 min.)
1.5 oz - Centennial (5 min.)
1 oz - Centennial (Dry Hop)
1 oz - Columbus (Dry Hop)

Yeast

White Labs California Ale Yeast (WLP001) - 1800 ml starter

Mash/Sparge/Boil

Mash at 152° to 154° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Cool and ferment at 66° to 68°
....................................................................................................
from Brew365 is spot on :D
Not sure who came up with this clone, but I just took it out of the carboy, after checking the gravity and color, I tasted a little. It seems that it amount dead on the money, as lucky has it, about two weeks ago a girl friend of mine brought me four six packs back from Chicago. In another month or so I’ll be able to do a side by side.

ok, this is going into the bottles this weekend, tasted some last night and it still seems to be right no the money, but it may not be a bitter as the one from Three F's. Going to bottle and have some for Christmas.

Holy crap, this is going to be my next batch. I'm in Connecticut so there's no Three Floyds anywhere in sight.. but I've always heard good things about them. I'll look forward to your results. I'm new so I might have some pesky questions pertaining to your sparging steps.

All I did was single infusion it and sparged with my kitchen sink sprayer into a SS mesh strainer. I don’t have the whole brewery set-up, so I have to work hard at getting by.

Bottled the beer on the 20th of the month after 123. Still looking pretty good, but it might not come in with the coclor and it seemd to be missing just alittle of the bitter.. only time will tell

Tried an early one last night, not sure if it is my brewing technique or if the clone needs a little more Melanoidin and Warrior, but it seems to be off in color and taste, just alittle. Color is lighter and taste is missing some bitter. Almost like its off by 10-15% on both, but for a early taste, still pretty good beer.

gear101, I took the liberty of adding your recipe to my hopville recipe list. This looks really good. I did notice that the projected IBU's are off a bit which might be why you'r not tasting as much bitter as the Alpha King. Their website says it should be 66 ibu's and hopville projected the recipe at 55.9 ibu's. I upped the warrior to .75 ounce at 30 minutes and the cascade to 1.25 at 15 minutes to come to 65.4 ibu's. I think I will use the adjusted hop schedule when I brew this based on your comments above.

Thanks. I think that might be the perfect numbers. The color that is off, might be from me dropping in some moss into the wart. Not sure if it would clear up that much, but if someone likes a little less bitter taste, first ones pretty good.

The next time I will be going with the extra hops, with the adjustment posted by Bama.

Will post pics here in about a week.

I did a partial mash clone recently only a week in the bottle, but it tasted really close to me.

Here's the recipe http://hopville.com/recipe/791891/american-ipa-recipes/alpha-king-clone

Pounds / oz
38% 4 6 Briess GOLD LME 34 5 Y
29% 3 6 Belgian Pale 37 3 ~
26% 3 0 Briess 2 Row Brewers Malt 37 2 ~
1% 0 2 Briess Carapils 34 1 ~
1% 0 2 Weyermann Melanoidin Malt 34 27 ~
1% 0 2 Briess Caramel 60L 34 60 ~
1% 0 2 Special B Malt 30 180 ~
1% 0 2 Caramunich III 34 56 ~
1% 0 1 Caramel Wheat Malt 35 46 ~
1% 0 1 Caramunich II

So quite different grain bill

Hops

boil 90 mins 0.9 Centennial pellet 9.6
boil 90 mins 0.6 Warrior pellet 16.7
boil 1 min 1.0 Cascade leaf 5.5
boil 1 min 1.0 Cascade pellet 5.4
dry hop 7 days 1.0 Cascade pellet 5.4
dry hop 7 days 1.0 Centennial pellet 9.6
dry hop 7 days 1.0 Columbus pellet 14.7

Sent from my iPad using HB Talk

BTW I think they only use Warrior, Cenntenial, and Cascade in the current recipe, I believe they used to use Columbus but it tastes good dry hopped.

Sent from my iPad using HB Talk

I brewed this extract version before and it was great. Author even said it was closest actual to homebrew he had done.

2004 Homebrew Log

I also just converted to all-grain in my home brewery and tried an Alpha King all-grain using the same hops schedule as the extract that I did previously. Converted to AG in Beer Alchemy. The color and ibu all look good. Taste going into fermenter was great. My ABV was a little higher than the original 6.5%. I like my IPA's about 7% so I bumped up the 2-row. You can decrease a little if you prefer the actual 6.5% from Three Floyds. Here's my all-grain version if anyone is interested:

Fermentables
US 2-Row Malt 13.00 lb
US Caramel Munich 60L Malt 1.00 lb
German CaraMunich I 0.50 lb

Hops
US Columbus(Tomahawk) 13.9 % 1.00 oz 60 Min
US Warrior 17.2 % 0.50 oz 30 Min
US Centennial 7.1 % 1.00 oz 5 Min
US Warrior 17.2 % 0.50 oz Dry-Hopped
US Centennial 7.1 % 0.50 oz Dry-Hopped

Yeast
DCL US-05 (formerly US-56) SafAle

Mash at 154 for 60 minutes
Double Batch Sparge
73% efficiency
Boil Volume 7 gallons
Final volume 5.25 gallons
Preboil gravity 1.056
OG 1.069
FG 1.017

ABV 7.%
IBU 68
Color 11.3 SM

that's looks like it would be closer than mine, I drank one of these last night. The mouth is alittle smoother than 3F's but still really good beer. Still have 2 six packs of the real stuff, but 8 .5l blue flips are going into the frig today for christmas.

well a litte time and some GREAT beer.. even off with the IBU

I just kegged my all-grain attempt yesterday. Will be ready to tap Christmas day. Will let you know how this one turned out.

Thinking about ordering a set of real Alpha King from Archer Liquors to get a real comparison. It's been years since I've had a real AK.

I drank a couple of these over the hoilday, I will this be making this again real soon, just a really good beer.

I will have to brew this soon. I can get the real thing, but I'd like a keg of the real thing in my keezer, so this should be "the thing." :)

Back