cheap beer making for friends and for extra

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spam

Reaction score
I have several friends who prefer cheap crap beer such as bush,bud,and natural light.

so I thought it would be fun to brew some "crap" beer for when the friends come by and also for when I run out of the good stuff. Is there a way to do this with cheap stuff from the brew store or super market.

any ideas? p.s. please don"t yell at me for wanting to make swill LOL

Not beer but you can buy all the ingredients for skeeter pee @ Sam's club. http://www.skeeterpee.com

But as for low gravity brews there are tons of recipies for cream ales and saison beers. I would start there, since they are low gravity the cost is also reduced.

Have you searched here? Recently a thread with a Miller Lite clone popped up. IIRC they use amylase enzyme to get it to go down way dry to 1.000 or close.

I would say just a plain pale malt, and a little hops. really shouldnt be to complex. plug those in a beer calc, and see what grav and ibu you get and adjust from there.

I think you could probably get away with making a cheap Kolsch-ish type beer and fermenting it as cool as you can manage. Wouldn't take too much in ingredients.

Maybe something like this:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/clinger-koelsch-187499/
Low OG of 1.041 and should have plenty of flavor, you could probably simplify the hops bill to maybe 1 or two different hops if you wanted, too.

Would be a pretty flavorful, but easy drinking, low ABV tasty cold beer.

I had a professor at UC Davis tell me that the CLEANEST tasting beer in America is Coors Light. Then he said to us, a room full of home brewers...

"And I DARE you to try to make it. It's extremely difficult."

In short, its really hard to eliminate the flavor profiles that quality grain provides us.
They have processes in place which allow them to churn out the stuff, at incredible efficiencies, in a short period of time, and with little flavor profile. That's hard for a home brewer to duplicate.

I make a CAP that is very crowd pleasing and it uses some items from the grocery store shelf, namely quick grits. Course I hop it pretty firm, but even BMC drinkers seem to like it.

My cream ale recipe is pretty cheap, if you buy your grain and hops in bulk and reuse yeast.

8 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 80.00 %
1 lbs Corn, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
8.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [3.50 %] (60 min) Hops 11.0 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [3.50 %] (10 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [3.50 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -

The grain is about $10, and the hops were just leftovers and you can use any clean well-attenuating ale yeast (I save and reuse yeast but you could use a dry yeast like nottingham if you had to). Ferment at no higher than 60 degrees.

So, for about $13, you can have 5 gallons of cream ale. It'll still have more flavor than most American light lagers, more on the order of Genesee Cream Ale. So if they like Coors Light, you're better off buying a case of Coors Light.

shouldn't you use 6 row barley and rice if you wan't to make crappy american lager? better read up on adjunct beer.

So, for about $13, you can have 5 gallons of cream ale. It'll still have more flavor than most American light lagers, more on the order of Genesee Cream Ale. So if they like Coors Light, you're better off buying a case of Coors Light.

I'm going to agree with Yooper on this one. If it's something they may not drink, make sure it's something that you won't kick yourself for later if you find out no one likes it.

Back