Airlock knocked out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanThompson

Reaction score
I walked into my brewery/storage area earlier and found the airlock for my blackberry wine sitting on the ground. I last looked at the wine 24 hours earlier. The sample I took tasted slightly acidic but I'm not sure if thats the wine or an infection. Do you all think it will be alright?

It's fine, was it still actively fermenting? If so the Co2 would have created outward pressure keeping baddies out.

If not, it's still probably fine (assuming your brew area isnt a total mess of fruit flies ,etc. ;) )

I dont think you would taste an infection in less then 24 hours. Like jaycount says, unless you had a bunch of fruitflies that got in it or a possum getting drunk on it, I'm sure its going to turn out fine.

I had an airlock shoot out of a carboy and hit the ceiling and shatter. Yeast goo in a creeping lava flow everywhere. That mead got in my belly a while ago ;-). My point is 24 hours is no big deal. :)

It wouldn't hurt to add one crushed campden tablet per gallon (dissolved in 1/4 cup boiling water) into the wine just to make sure it's not oxidized nor any potential infectors can take hold, since it's in secondary. Make sure it's topped up well, also, as air in the headspace can encourage mold growth. Double check to make sure you're completely topped up!

Back