Priming with honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainsock

Reaction score
Im about to bottle a batch of american style amber ale and im thinking about using honey instead of priming sugar. If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.:mug:

I used honey to prime Cheesefood's Caramel Vanilla Cream Ale, the honey gave a good carb... Not sure how much ambers are suppose to have but i'd say about 5 Fl oz should do it (10 tbsp).

i put honey in my wort, thought it may cause problems b/c of the sugar but i wasnt sure, it was in my brew kit though. what do you all think.:confused:

my reasoning for this before i get flamed was higher Alcohol content

DeadYetiBrew said:
I used honey to prime Cheesefood's Caramel Vanilla Cream Ale, the honey gave a good carb... Not sure how much ambers are suppose to have but i'd say about 5 Fl oz should do it (10 tbsp).

1/2 cup for 5 gal per Papazian's book.

40ozOLDe said:
i put honey in my wort, thought it may cause problems b/c of the sugar but i wasnt sure, it was in my brew kit though. what do you all think.:confused:

my reasoning for this before i get flamed was higher Alcohol content
Sort of a misplaced post (this thread is about priming, not boosting ABV with honey). However, adding honey will certainly achieve the goal that you're after. Without more recipe details, I can't give much more of an opinion than that.

While we're on the subject of honey, it's a common misperception that adding honey will impart a distinct flavor to your beer. On the contrary, it usually adds just a slight hint of honey flavor. Since honey is almost entirely fermentable, the resulting beer is often very dry. For a sweeter honey flavor, try using a few ounces of honey malt instead.

Kayos said:
1/2 cup for 5 gal per Papazian's book.

Close enough
1/2 cup = 8 tbsp, that probably explains why it was so carbed... but i wouldn't do it with anything less than 10 if i use it again, i also use a local honey and noticed a slight honey flavor but not very pronounced...

Back