HOP EXTRACT?Franziskaner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkPunk

Reaction score
I just had my first Weisbier.... err, my first 3 weisbiers... anyways, that were Franziskaners. I was checking out the label as I was drinking them and noticed that one of the ingredients is hop extract. Wtf is that? Also, the bartender rolled the bottles around to loosen the yeast, and said it was for the flavor. I enjoyed it that way. I haven't tried it without the yeast floating around though, so I don't know how it would taste otherwise. It was a pretty good beer. I was suprised to like something with hop extract, honestly.

Franziskaner is a great tasting Hefe Weizen. I had my first one in 1975. :mug:

The Germans do use hop extract, much like a concentrated tea made from hops.

Are you the member from Pemberton?

I graduated from Burlington Cty College ('84) on Pemberton Rd. I used to live in Browns Mills and Mt. Holly.

I just had my first Weisbier.... err, my first 3 weisbiers... anyways, that were Franziskaners. I was checking out the label as I was drinking them and noticed that one of the ingredients is hop extract. Wtf is that? Also, the bartender rolled the bottles around to loosen the yeast, and said it was for the flavor. I enjoyed it that way. I haven't tried it without the yeast floating around though, so I don't know how it would taste otherwise. It was a pretty good beer. I was suprised to like something with hop extract, honestly.

I didn't know they used extract either. I drink them quite often too. Since they have no hop flavor or aroma the extract is most likely used just for bittering.

They are good with or without the yeast. The way I learned to serve them is pour 3/4 of the bottle gently down the side of the glass. Than swirl vigorously to suspend the yeast. Pour the last 1/4 with the yeast suspended straight down the center of the glass.

Weihenstephaner and Erdinger are a couple of other good Hefewiezens you may enjoy.

Most hop extract is made using liquid CO2 as a solvent, although a few places use steam. The same process can produce hop oils. Both are more stable than pellet or whole hops and are useful for fine tuning a beer.

Franziskaner is a great tasting Hefe Weizen. I had my first one in 1975. :mug:

The Germans do use hop extract, much like a concentrated tea made from hops.

Are you the member from Pemberton?

I graduated from Burlington Cty College ('84) on Pemberton Rd. I used to live in Browns Mills and Mt. Holly.

That's me. I'm probably going to be living in Mount Holly after this deployment though, since I found an apartment that's walking distance from High Street Grill. They seem to have the best beer selection locally. I'm enrolled at BCC myself.

Most hop extract is made using liquid CO2 as a solvent, although a few places use steam. The same process can produce hop oils. Both are more stable than pellet or whole hops and are useful for fine tuning a beer.

Huh. I had never heard of that before. It doesn't seem to effect the flavor at all, because it was great beer.

Latest posts

Back