Another "something is wrong with my hops" question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSmurf78

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've got 5 different hops growing in the seattle area. Over the last few weeks, I've noticed an issue with my hops.

The middle plant started to have it's lowest leaves turn yellow, and eventually to brown and then dying off. It appears to be working slowly up the plant. The bines appear to have started to take on a more reddish tinge too.

This started with the middle hop plant and then moved out to each side (now all my hops are showing this to some degree).

I had done some initial fertilization early in the season, with some follow up two or three times, but it's been over a month since the last addition. I've been trying to water a little each day, especially since lately we've been seeing temps in the mid 80's, creasting near 90 on some days.

I've also started a weekly watering with the liquid miracle-gro which has a 12-4-8 mix.

Can anyone suggest additional things to do (or shoudln't do) or what may be wrong?

Thanks

My Hop plants did the same thing. Especially the taller ones. I found that watering twice a day cured it. The taller they get, the more the lower sections seem to give up the water to to the new growth on top. This is my first year growing and I am still learning.

First are there any pests on your leaves-- aphids, spider mites, leafhopper damage? Aphids suck the life outta the hops. You will have to do some killing if there is the sign of pests.

Your fertilizer is NPK and if it is a nitrogen deficiency then it will help. But too much nitrogen can burn and produce lots of leaves when you want the rhizomes to flourish and all the cones you can get. Phosphorus is more important then.

Out in here in Colorado , when we see the yellowing of leaves it is lack or iron in our soil lack of water so the hops can extract what nutrients are there in the soil. Iron foliar spray can feed your hops the nutrition they need.

Andrea

Back