Might there be a beer I like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leadgolem

Reaction score
I'm not absolutely certain that there isn't a beer I like, but I've tried a few and just haven't found anything I really enjoy. I want to see if there is a kind of beer I like. So I'm looking for suggestions on what to try next, preferably something I can reasonably find in Denver.

Here is what my rather drunken mind can remember of the beers I've tried.

Brecken Ridge Agave Wheat: Slightly odd flavor. Not unpleasant, don't really like the bitterness but drinkable. Nice and smooth finish. Aftertaste is fairly brief.
Lion Stout: Very strong flavor, fairly neutral here too. The balance was good, drinkable, but not something I really enjoyed.
Bud Light: Uh, why would I want to drink horse urine?
Corona Extra: Might be good with a lime on a hot day, but lemonade with a shot of vodka would better...
Arrogant Bastard Oaked: Holy freaking crap. I can't even drink this.
Arrogant Bastard: I drank half of this before getting hop overload, that's better then the oaked. It was a bomber though.
Negro Modelo: Yeah ok. Not really enjoying it, but would drink if nothing else was available.
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale: I might be a little off on the name, can't find the bottle. It's drinkable. I would never order it, but I can drink it.
Killians Irish Red: I've only had this on tap, and it was to cold. I let it sit for 20 minutes or so before drinking and it was ok. I wouldn't keep a 6 pack around, but it's got a way more complicated aroma and hop profile then the typical horse urine at the local bar.
Easy Street Wheat: This is what I keep in fridge if I'm expecting guests. I can drink one and it doesn't bother me. Though, to be honest, I'd rather have a margarita or a white wine.

SO, what should I try next? I know there are lots of styles I've never even heard of, if you were to guess, what would you think would hit my palate the right way? I already make wine, cider, and mead. I'm really looking for a beer I might enjoy.

Thank you for your input/insults.

Just go to Falling Rock and work your way from one end to the other:mug:

Really though, it sounds like you're a little hop sensitive and opposed to BMC. Sooooo... I prefer to drink seasonally and right now is dark beer time. Maybe a left hand milk stout? Tons and tons of really great beer in your area (that's from an Oregonian). Good luck on your quest. I feel there is a beer out there for each person, but if you don't find yours just keep searching.

As for me, I am still looking for a beer I don't like... I mean I have had some that I had to choke down but the beer in my hand is always a good one.

OK, see if you can find Pilsner Urquell somewhere on tap. The draft version is much better than the bottled in my opinion. All the beers you list seem like they would be pretty challenging for being either too strong or too weak flavored. Check it out, let us know what you think.

For what it's worth, I used to think I didn't like beer. Turns out I didn't like Miller Beer.

What do you enjoy drinking?
Booze, pop, wine, juice or whatever.

It's hard to say what you would like based only on what you don't like alone.

Try one of each of the standard brands.
Maybe some black Butte.
Hard to guess with no idea of the type of things you enjoy.

Either try lots of things or don't bother with beer.

It sounds like you can appreciate wheat beers. I would suggest hefeweizens, dunkelweizens, and perhaps weizenbocks. Make sure you try both American and German examples of each category, as they are a bit different.

When people say they don't like beer, I always tell them they've never had real beer. But damn... you sure have been trying!

Myself, I didn't even like beer when I first decided to brew (I was handed an old homebrew book, and it was interesting). It was during my research into the process I remembered the fact I didn't like beer, and that was also the moment I realized there were more than one kind of beer! After that I started to try different styles and beers. Newcastle Brown Ale was the beer that really stuck out at that time, now I can't stand it anymore. And I'm still very critical of commercial beer, hardly like any store bought beers.

But back to the issue, as much as it pains me to say; but you don't have to like beer. You'll probably find something you'll like, but still - if you enjoy something else, then that's your cup of tea.

As for styles I'd suggest Scottish Export 80 Shilling, English Brown Ale, Dark Lager, Belgian Dubbel and Tripple, English IPA, Amber Lager. Also try homebrews at some homebrew club or go to some craft beer event, then you'll get a great selection of beers.

I'd try a Belgian Wit if I were you. Start with Blanche De Bruxelles.

If not, maybe go with a vanilla java porter, if you can find one. I hate the Breckenridge Vanilla Porter, which I know would be available near you, but Atwater makes a delicious VJP.

Just wondering how a guy that doesn't like beer has over 300 posts on a beer making forum.

I thought the same:)

But for suggestions - how about brown ales. Newcastle ON TAP if you can find it. Moosedrool Brown.

Alakan Amber

Oktoberfests?

British Dark Mild.... might have to brew that one, not many commercial examples.

Thinking of beers that are sort of a beer that is not too hoppy, not too plain, not too strong, not too roasty . . . .. Try some of those.

Also saw you like wine, cider and mead . . . . . . . explains the 300 posts. Also means you might like belgians or sour beers???? Rodenbach might be something you could track down. Problem is those are pricey:)

I'd try several variants of the following styles, with an example of each:

- English milds: Goose Island's Mild Winter
- Bitters (though maybe not best bitters or ESBs quite yet): Boddington's Pub Ale
- German-style Amber Altbier: Alaskan Amber, or Widmer's Festival Ale

Plus the wheat styles that others have suggested.

The ones I pointed out aren't too hoppy or malty, but mostly pretty balanced, and they're not super strong like an imperial stout or a barleywine or imperial IPA. You may end up drinking stuff like that but I think it takes a while to accustom your palate to the intensity of flavors in those beers.

Something tells me you just don't like beers with a lot of taste or bitterness.

New Castle Brown Ale is the one dark beer that almost everyone can drink. I know a lot of women who love that stuff. It's light, sweet and no hop bitterness present.

I'm not absolutely certain that there isn't a beer I like, but I've tried a few and just haven't found anything I really enjoy. I want to see if there is a kind of beer I like. So I'm looking for suggestions on what to try next, preferably something I can reasonably find in Denver.

Easy Street Wheat: This is what I keep in fridge if I'm expecting guests. I can drink one and it doesn't bother me. Though, to be honest, I'd rather have a margarita or a white wine.

Thank you for your input/insults.

When you say bothering you do you mean not liking the taste or physically bothering you? Could be allergy or sensitivity to grains. Have you tried glutten free beer?

Also saw you like wine, cider and mead . . . . . . . explains the 300 posts. Also means you might like belgians or sour beers???? Rodenbach might be something you could track down. Problem is those are pricey:)

^^This^^

I recommend you find some beer from Crooked Stave. If you can take to time to go to their tap room and get some samples all the better.

Braufessor said:

+1 for sours. They typically involve a fairly long aging process but I think you'd probably like the fruit-like notes since you like wine, cider, and mead. Also sours have much lower IBU's and it sounds like you haven't quite developed a palate for hoppier beers.

Problem also is that he is a sentient being made of lead, which has been animated by magic,and which is typically devoid of tsatebuds!

Schlafly Kolsch. Not hoppy, and impossible to dislike. I dare you!!

;)

You're in new Belgium country. Get yourself a fat tire. Let us know what you find and like.

You're in new Belgium country. Get yourself a fat tire. Let us know what you find and like.

......that is an iffy brew at best.

Normally I wouldn't disparage, but this guy needs an ironclad "everybody likes this" beer.....which doesn't exist, but Fat tire is far from unanimous.

Sam Adam's Stony Brook Red from their Barrel Room Collection is almost wine-like in flavor. Maybe start there and work your way back through some sours or lambics?

The part I don't like is why try so hard if you don't like beer?
I don't drink wine. There may be a wine or two out there that I would like, but I don't like wine so I don't try searching for one that I like. I drink my beer and various hard liquors and leave it at that.

If you don't like beer ( I don't understand how! ), don't worry. Drink what you like and move on.
Chances are if you find a beer you do like, it's never going to be one of the choices if you go out or something since you will clearly have a very small number of beers that you are willing to drink.

I agree with trying some Sours.

If you want another non-sour beer to try, i would go for a Rogue Hazelnut Brown. It is a delicious beer IMO, and one that I liked very early on in my beer drinking adventure. I still enjoy it very much and have brewed it as a clone kit twice. It's not strong flavored in any particular direction, and has a good hazelnut flavor to it that makes it easy to drink. I also like Stone Smoked Porter but if you don't like smoke you won't like it.

What about belgian ales? Including belgian blonde ale, dark ale, golden strong ale, dark strong ale, tripel, etc. One of my favorite breweries of all time is Ommegang and their Abbey Ale is one of my favorites. I checked seekabrew, so you should be able to get Ommegang beer in Denver.

cheezydemon3 said:
......that is an iffy brew at best.

Normally I wouldn't disparage, but this guy needs an ironclad "everybody likes this" beer.....which doesn't exist, but Fat tire is far from unanimous.

I guess you should tell him what to drink then. I simply gave the OP a suggestion as he asked.

The dudes posted 300 times, poses one question that gets 32 replies and he hasn't replied to any of them.......let him enjoy his wine:)

If you can get it...Steam Whistle from Toronto...easy drinking...a good craft lawnmower beer.

I don't drink wine. There may be a wine or two out there that I would like, but I don't like wine so I don't try searching for one that I like.

It's getting a tad OT, but I kind of dislike the fact that I don't like wine. I find wine extremely interesting, it's amazing really... but every time I drink it I'm reminded that it tastes bad.

Granted, I haven't had that much wine but the ones I've had have all been very different, but still nothing I liked - not even close.

I appreciate all the responses. I was working a 12 hour shift today so haven't had a chance to get back on until now.

Lots of things to try, and a few specific things I wanted to respond to.

What do you enjoy drinking?
Booze, pop, wine, juice or whatever.

It's hard to say what you would like based only on what you don't like alone.

Try one of each of the standard brands.
Maybe some black Butte.
Hard to guess with no idea of the type of things you enjoy.

Either try lots of things or don't bother with beer.
I enjoy most kinds of wine. I'm particularly fond of sweet whites. I don't really care for the tannic acid in the stronger reds, even if it has aged enough to mellow. I also enjoy mead, though I find the cost a bit much for what you get. That applies to both the making and the buying. I'm particularly fond of orange soda, lime margaritas, and rum and coke. Lately I've been enjoying tonic water in mixers more then I used to as well. I also enjoy both sweet and dry hard apple cider.

When you say bothering you do you mean not liking the taste or physically bothering you? Could be allergy or sensitivity to grains. Have you tried glutten free beer?
As in not enjoying, but not being repulsed by the flavor. I bake on a regular basis, if I had a gluten intolerance I would think it would have been obvious before now. Though that does give me another hare to pursue.
Problem also is that he is a sentient being made of lead, which has been animated by magic,and which is typically devoid of tsatebuds!
Psssh, says the animated collection of amorphous partials the fallen angels started playing with when they found they couldn't reproduce.
I don't drink wine. There may be a wine or two out there that I would like, but I don't like wine so I don't try searching for one that I like. I drink my beer and various hard liquors and leave it at that.

If you don't like beer ( I don't understand how! ), don't worry. Drink what you like and move on.
Chances are if you find a beer you do like, it's never going to be one of the choices if you go out or something since you will clearly have a very small number of beers that you are willing to drink.
I am uncertain if I like beer or not. I don't have enough data to form a conclusion yet.

I'm wanting to find a style of beer I enjoy so I can share with my beer drinking guests. I'd prefer something I can enjoy as well, so it doesn't go to waste if I don't have people over for a while.

I'm not particularly concerned about being able to find whatever beer I do enjoy on a regular basis. I'm more looking for something to use as a jumping off point for brewing my own.

It's getting a tad OT, but I kind of dislike the fact that I don't like wine. I find wine extremely interesting, it's amazing really... but every time I drink it I'm reminded that it tastes bad.

Granted, I haven't had that much wine but the ones I've had have all been very different, but still nothing I liked - not even close.
There are a lot of kinds of wine. Most people get hung up on aged red wines. I don't particularly care for red wine. I would suggest trying something different, like a blueberry or peach wine.

Again, I thank everyone for the responses. I have some new things to try. Even if I don't find a beer I really enjoy I think I will gain more of an appreciation for it.

OK, see if you can find Pilsner Urquell somewhere on tap. The draft version is much better than the bottled in my opinion. All the beers you list seem like they would be pretty challenging for being either too strong or too weak flavored. Check it out, let us know what you think.

For what it's worth, I used to think I didn't like beer. Turns out I didn't like Miller Beer.

Not to take this discussion :off:, but Pilsner Urquell is owned by SABMiller, so I guess technically it is a "Miller Beer".

Not to take this discussion :off:, but Pilsner Urquell is owned by SABMiller, so I guess technically it is a "Miller Beer".

Well, I guess if I had a billion bucks and my flagship brand was sinking like the Titanic I'd look around for something good to buy too. I did some consulting for South African Breweries in the 90s and they seemed to be nice people. That was before they went on their acqusition spree and Lion Beer was 10 Rand a can in a hotel bar.

Back